E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > my car is dying. what is this sign?

12-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

my car is dying. what is this sign?

my car lost power while driving and this light came on. I'm currently stranded.

it's a squiggy sign on the bottom with a thermo stat looking thing. also it sounds like the engine fan is working hard.
      12-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
cleex024
Major

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

means your waterpump is gone...is the sign red? if its red i would not drive any further.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
      12-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant

it's drivable but it goes to nondrivable. I thought it's the coolant so I had my car towed to a bmw stealership. I bought coolant and refilled it. I drove around and there's no warning light, but the car is still in limp mode. since I'm out of warranty, I'm trying to purchase the warranty so it would cover this and future issues.
      12-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant

the sign is orange, btw.
      12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
eppisgood
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 e90 335i

Waterpump has an extended warranty I thought.
      12-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
means your waterpump is gone...is the sign red? if its red i would not drive any further.
/thread

Orange is a warning. coolant is getting HOT.

red is coolant is TOO HOT. pull over. Fan will be on very loud along with no power. you cant even rev it

water pump and thermostat need to be replaced.
      12-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
n54gte
First Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i

"My car is dying". Yup, stop driving and get it towed to get your waterpump replaced
      12-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eppisgood View Post
Waterpump has an extended warranty I thought.
i dont think waterpump is extended, the wastegates and turbos are.
      12-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant

Here's the image of the warning light when I took a picture of it on the side of the road. I had my car towed to the dealership. I went in and bought coolant and filled it up w/ 50% purified water and 50% coolant. I started the car, drove it for half a block. No engine warning sign; however, the car was in limp mode. I drove back to the stealership, plug in my OBDII reader, but no error code. I gave up and handed over to BMW to run the diagnostic.

The water pump would be cover under the power train warranty (I had a long talk w/ the finance manager). Sadly, since I took it in and the guy had the key read on the computer, so if I were to buy the warranty, it wouldn't cover this one since it's pre-existing. Anyways, they gave me a 5 series loaner, and will be running diagnostics tomorrow.

The tow guy gave me a business card to another indy shop down the street, so once I find out the problem and quote, I may take it down to the indy shop.
Attached Images

12-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Troy3Giles
Registered

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

So i have a problem that BMW cant find a solution to!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, first time registered on this site. I am so frustrated right now as my car has been very moody over the past 4 weeks. I have a 2007 335i that intermittenly goes to sleep and wont wake up until it decides to. So let me paint you the picture:

3 weeks ago, out the front of my office my bmw was parked. Went to open it with the FOB and nothing...i mean nothing! The only way to get into the car was by using the actual "key"..i mean who uses that these days. Once i opened the door nothing activated. No lights no nothing. I went to Canadian Tire to buy jumper cables in another car...forgot my wallet so I drove back to my car...walked up to it and it opened using the FOB like nothing was ever wrong. This happened again a week later. This time I used a car to jump it...thinking it must be the battery..but jumping didnt seem to do anything although the hazards gave me a quick flicker to let me know it was awake again. Used the FOB to open it and again it was like nothing happened. This has happened twice more and last night I had to get it towed to the dealership. Today they pushed it into the service department and before they could do anything it awoke and was able to be used normally. Now BMW is telling me they need it to fail again before they can start working on the issue. So frustrating because it can go a week without it happening. It has never stopped working while I am driving and the only thing I have to do is reset the clock once it awakes.

Can anyone help me out there as to what is happening???? The battery is showing that it is in perfect health.
      12-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
VincentCloudX07
Private First Class

Drives: 2006-325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy3Giles View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, first time registered on this site. I am so frustrated right now as my car has been very moody over the past 4 weeks. I have a 2007 335i that intermittenly goes to sleep and wont wake up until it decides to. So let me paint you the picture:

3 weeks ago, out the front of my office my bmw was parked. Went to open it with the FOB and nothing...i mean nothing! The only way to get into the car was by using the actual "key"..i mean who uses that these days. Once i opened the door nothing activated. No lights no nothing. I went to Canadian Tire to buy jumper cables in another car...forgot my wallet so I drove back to my car...walked up to it and it opened using the FOB like nothing was ever wrong. This happened again a week later. This time I used a car to jump it...thinking it must be the battery..but jumping didnt seem to do anything although the hazards gave me a quick flicker to let me know it was awake again. Used the FOB to open it and again it was like nothing happened. This has happened twice more and last night I had to get it towed to the dealership. Today they pushed it into the service department and before they could do anything it awoke and was able to be used normally. Now BMW is telling me they need it to fail again before they can start working on the issue. So frustrating because it can go a week without it happening. It has never stopped working while I am driving and the only thing I have to do is reset the clock once it awakes.

Can anyone help me out there as to what is happening???? The battery is showing that it is in perfect health.
About how long do you drive your car everyday?
      12-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
ctuna
Brigadier General

Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You are rolling the dice on a an Engine Replacement

The first time you see that you should have it towed and get it repaired where necessary as a new Engine is 15 k from BMW and over 5k if you can find a used one and get an Indy to repair it.
This is for DetectiveLoki.
      12-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
The first time you see that you should have it towed and get it repaired where necessary as a new Engine is 15 k from BMW and over 5k if you can find a used one and get an Indy to repair it.
This is for DetectiveLoki.
this is the first time today actually. I got it towed to the dealership. they quoted me 1100 before tax for the water pump. they also said my fuel pump sensor needs to be replaced too. that's another $400 before tax.
      12-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb

Drives: 06 e90 330i & 06 e90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy3Giles View Post

Possibly this:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW SI B61 08 11.pdf (170.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf BMW B61 08 11 Fuse Box Replacement.pdf (363.1 KB, 22 views)

06 e90 325i /Jet Black/Black Leatherette/Steptronic/Cold Weather Package/Style 197's
SpeedBuggy is offline   United_States
      12-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant

I guess it's time to pick up my car. I should've spent $1500 on the 2 years PowerTrain Plus and would've covered this water pump $1100+tax.
      12-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #16
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveLoki View Post
I guess it's time to pick up my car. I should've spent $1500 on the 2 years PowerTrain Plus and would've covered this water pump $1100+tax.
couldve bought the warranty, and parked the car for a month then made a claim lol
      12-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #17
white08135i
Lieutenant

Drives: 08e90335i

i had the same thing happen to me today, yellow light then red. and barely any throttle response. stopped the car and restarted light went away and car drives fine. if it is the water pump would it come back on? i drove about 30 miles after that and light never came back on
white08135i is offline   United_States
      12-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #18
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by white08135i View Post
i had the same thing happen to me today, yellow light then red. and barely any throttle response. stopped the car and restarted light went away and car drives fine. if it is the water pump would it come back on? i drove about 30 miles after that and light never came back on
My light went away; however, after I got it towed to the dealer, I bought some coolant and filled it up. Test drove it, it wouldn't go pass 40 MPH. I hit the throttle and it was reving high RPM, but goes nowhere. I only drove for about a block. I had no choice, but to go back to the dealer. It costed me $1168 total; same price as indy shop that I called. Just make sure you have warranty, because if I bought the 2 years powertrain plus for $1500 (this is the only option that i could buy to extend my warranty since it is out of warranty).
      12-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_boostjunky View Post
couldve bought the warranty, and parked the car for a month then made a claim lol
The only problem is that they read your key code at the time you sign the paper. I wonder, what if I had swap and use my other key which hasn't been near my car for a year... hmmm...
      12-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
orionredwing
Captain

Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.00]
Go get it replaced at an independent mechanic. I got my water pump and thermostat replaced for much cheaper than that!

Don't forget to change the thermostat....

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
      12-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #21
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
Go get it replaced at an independent mechanic. I got my water pump and thermostat replaced for much cheaper than that!

Don't forget to change the thermostat....
The stealership wouldn't change it for me because they said they said it doesn't need to be change . 2 indy shops quoted me the same price.