E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > my car is dying. what is this sign?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant
 
DetectiveLoki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County - SOCAL

Posts: 287
iTrader: (4)

my car is dying. what is this sign?

my car lost power while driving and this light came on. I'm currently stranded.

it's a squiggy sign on the bottom with a thermo stat looking thing. also it sounds like the engine fan is working hard.
DetectiveLoki is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
cleex024
Major
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 1,403
iTrader: (2)

means your waterpump is gone...is the sign red? if its red i would not drive any further.
__________________
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
cleex024 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant
 
DetectiveLoki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County - SOCAL

Posts: 287
iTrader: (4)

it's drivable but it goes to nondrivable. I thought it's the coolant so I had my car towed to a bmw stealership. I bought coolant and refilled it. I drove around and there's no warning light, but the car is still in limp mode. since I'm out of warranty, I'm trying to purchase the warranty so it would cover this and future issues.
DetectiveLoki is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant
 
DetectiveLoki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County - SOCAL

Posts: 287
iTrader: (4)

the sign is orange, btw.
DetectiveLoki is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
eppisgood
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

Waterpump has an extended warranty I thought.
__________________
2008 e90 335i
eppisgood is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY

Posts: 3,304
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
means your waterpump is gone...is the sign red? if its red i would not drive any further.
/thread

Orange is a warning. coolant is getting HOT.

red is coolant is TOO HOT. pull over. Fan will be on very loud along with no power. you cant even rev it

water pump and thermostat need to be replaced.
idrift4wd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
n54gte
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

"My car is dying". Yup, stop driving and get it towed to get your waterpump replaced
n54gte is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY

Posts: 3,304
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eppisgood View Post
Waterpump has an extended warranty I thought.
i dont think waterpump is extended, the wastegates and turbos are.
idrift4wd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant
 
DetectiveLoki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County - SOCAL

Posts: 287
iTrader: (4)

Here's the image of the warning light when I took a picture of it on the side of the road. I had my car towed to the dealership. I went in and bought coolant and filled it up w/ 50% purified water and 50% coolant. I started the car, drove it for half a block. No engine warning sign; however, the car was in limp mode. I drove back to the stealership, plug in my OBDII reader, but no error code. I gave up and handed over to BMW to run the diagnostic.

The water pump would be cover under the power train warranty (I had a long talk w/ the finance manager). Sadly, since I took it in and the guy had the key read on the computer, so if I were to buy the warranty, it wouldn't cover this one since it's pre-existing. Anyways, they gave me a 5 series loaner, and will be running diagnostics tomorrow.

The tow guy gave me a business card to another indy shop down the street, so once I find out the problem and quote, I may take it down to the indy shop.
Attached Images
 
DetectiveLoki is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Troy3Giles
Registered
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Victoria, BC

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

So i have a problem that BMW cant find a solution to!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, first time registered on this site. I am so frustrated right now as my car has been very moody over the past 4 weeks. I have a 2007 335i that intermittenly goes to sleep and wont wake up until it decides to. So let me paint you the picture:

3 weeks ago, out the front of my office my bmw was parked. Went to open it with the FOB and nothing...i mean nothing! The only way to get into the car was by using the actual "key"..i mean who uses that these days. Once i opened the door nothing activated. No lights no nothing. I went to Canadian Tire to buy jumper cables in another car...forgot my wallet so I drove back to my car...walked up to it and it opened using the FOB like nothing was ever wrong. This happened again a week later. This time I used a car to jump it...thinking it must be the battery..but jumping didnt seem to do anything although the hazards gave me a quick flicker to let me know it was awake again. Used the FOB to open it and again it was like nothing happened. This has happened twice more and last night I had to get it towed to the dealership. Today they pushed it into the service department and before they could do anything it awoke and was able to be used normally. Now BMW is telling me they need it to fail again before they can start working on the issue. So frustrating because it can go a week without it happening. It has never stopped working while I am driving and the only thing I have to do is reset the clock once it awakes.

Can anyone help me out there as to what is happening???? The battery is showing that it is in perfect health.
Troy3Giles is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
VincentCloudX07
Private First Class
 
VincentCloudX07's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006-325i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: WA

Posts: 173
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy3Giles View Post
So i have a problem that BMW cant find a solution to!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, first time registered on this site. I am so frustrated right now as my car has been very moody over the past 4 weeks. I have a 2007 335i that intermittenly goes to sleep and wont wake up until it decides to. So let me paint you the picture:

3 weeks ago, out the front of my office my bmw was parked. Went to open it with the FOB and nothing...i mean nothing! The only way to get into the car was by using the actual "key"..i mean who uses that these days. Once i opened the door nothing activated. No lights no nothing. I went to Canadian Tire to buy jumper cables in another car...forgot my wallet so I drove back to my car...walked up to it and it opened using the FOB like nothing was ever wrong. This happened again a week later. This time I used a car to jump it...thinking it must be the battery..but jumping didnt seem to do anything although the hazards gave me a quick flicker to let me know it was awake again. Used the FOB to open it and again it was like nothing happened. This has happened twice more and last night I had to get it towed to the dealership. Today they pushed it into the service department and before they could do anything it awoke and was able to be used normally. Now BMW is telling me they need it to fail again before they can start working on the issue. So frustrating because it can go a week without it happening. It has never stopped working while I am driving and the only thing I have to do is reset the clock once it awakes.

Can anyone help me out there as to what is happening???? The battery is showing that it is in perfect health.
About how long do you drive your car everyday?
__________________
I live for this
VincentCloudX07 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 4,028
iTrader: (0)

You are rolling the dice on a an Engine Replacement

The first time you see that you should have it towed and get it repaired where necessary as a new Engine is 15 k from BMW and over 5k if you can find a used one and get an Indy to repair it.
This is for DetectiveLoki.
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant
 
DetectiveLoki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County - SOCAL

Posts: 287
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
The first time you see that you should have it towed and get it repaired where necessary as a new Engine is 15 k from BMW and over 5k if you can find a used one and get an Indy to repair it.
This is for DetectiveLoki.
this is the first time today actually. I got it towed to the dealership. they quoted me 1100 before tax for the water pump. they also said my fuel pump sensor needs to be replaced too. that's another $400 before tax.
DetectiveLoki is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
 
SpeedBuggy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 e90 330i & 06 e90 325i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cortland, Ohio

Posts: 405
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy3Giles View Post
So i have a problem that BMW cant find a solution to!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, first time registered on this site. I am so frustrated right now as my car has been very moody over the past 4 weeks. I have a 2007 335i that intermittenly goes to sleep and wont wake up until it decides to. So let me paint you the picture:

3 weeks ago, out the front of my office my bmw was parked. Went to open it with the FOB and nothing...i mean nothing! The only way to get into the car was by using the actual "key"..i mean who uses that these days. Once i opened the door nothing activated. No lights no nothing. I went to Canadian Tire to buy jumper cables in another car...forgot my wallet so I drove back to my car...walked up to it and it opened using the FOB like nothing was ever wrong. This happened again a week later. This time I used a car to jump it...thinking it must be the battery..but jumping didnt seem to do anything although the hazards gave me a quick flicker to let me know it was awake again. Used the FOB to open it and again it was like nothing happened. This has happened twice more and last night I had to get it towed to the dealership. Today they pushed it into the service department and before they could do anything it awoke and was able to be used normally. Now BMW is telling me they need it to fail again before they can start working on the issue. So frustrating because it can go a week without it happening. It has never stopped working while I am driving and the only thing I have to do is reset the clock once it awakes.

Can anyone help me out there as to what is happening???? The battery is showing that it is in perfect health.
Possibly this:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW SI B61 08 11.pdf (170.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf BMW B61 08 11 Fuse Box Replacement.pdf (363.1 KB, 22 views)
__________________
06 e90 330i /Alpine White/Terra Dakota Leather/Steptronic/Cold Weather Package/Premium Package/Sport Package/CA/PDC/Xenon/Logic 7/Style 162's

06 e90 325i /Jet Black/Black Leatherette/Steptronic/Cold Weather Package/Style 197's
SpeedBuggy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant
 
DetectiveLoki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County - SOCAL

Posts: 287
iTrader: (4)

I guess it's time to pick up my car. I should've spent $1500 on the 2 years PowerTrain Plus and would've covered this water pump $1100+tax.
DetectiveLoki is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #16
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
 
E90_boostjunky's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA, IL

Posts: 1,612
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveLoki View Post
I guess it's time to pick up my car. I should've spent $1500 on the 2 years PowerTrain Plus and would've covered this water pump $1100+tax.
couldve bought the warranty, and parked the car for a month then made a claim lol
E90_boostjunky is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #17
white08135i
Lieutenant
 
white08135i's Avatar
 
Drives: 08e90335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Norcal

Posts: 493
iTrader: (10)

i had the same thing happen to me today, yellow light then red. and barely any throttle response. stopped the car and restarted light went away and car drives fine. if it is the water pump would it come back on? i drove about 30 miles after that and light never came back on
white08135i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #18
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant
 
DetectiveLoki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County - SOCAL

Posts: 287
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by white08135i View Post
i had the same thing happen to me today, yellow light then red. and barely any throttle response. stopped the car and restarted light went away and car drives fine. if it is the water pump would it come back on? i drove about 30 miles after that and light never came back on
My light went away; however, after I got it towed to the dealer, I bought some coolant and filled it up. Test drove it, it wouldn't go pass 40 MPH. I hit the throttle and it was reving high RPM, but goes nowhere. I only drove for about a block. I had no choice, but to go back to the dealer. It costed me $1168 total; same price as indy shop that I called. Just make sure you have warranty, because if I bought the 2 years powertrain plus for $1500 (this is the only option that i could buy to extend my warranty since it is out of warranty).
DetectiveLoki is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant
 
DetectiveLoki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County - SOCAL

Posts: 287
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_boostjunky View Post
couldve bought the warranty, and parked the car for a month then made a claim lol
The only problem is that they read your key code at the time you sign the paper. I wonder, what if I had swap and use my other key which hasn't been near my car for a year... hmmm...
DetectiveLoki is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
orionredwing
Captain
 
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Jose

Posts: 723
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.00]
Go get it replaced at an independent mechanic. I got my water pump and thermostat replaced for much cheaper than that!

Don't forget to change the thermostat....
__________________

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
orionredwing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #21
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant
 
DetectiveLoki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County - SOCAL

Posts: 287
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
Go get it replaced at an independent mechanic. I got my water pump and thermostat replaced for much cheaper than that!

Don't forget to change the thermostat....
The stealership wouldn't change it for me because they said they said it doesn't need to be change . 2 indy shops quoted me the same price.
DetectiveLoki is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST