E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Projector Halos or HID's?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
carzfan1
Private
carzfan1's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 328i Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Unhappy Projector Halos or HID's?

I have a 2008 328i sedan stock with halogen bulbs...

i decided to get rid of them and get HID's so it would look nicer-
but im having a lot of trouble with the lights flickering and then turning off when i start the car- especially now in the winter.... (maybe the cold his messing with the wiring on the shitty HID's i put in)

anyways... i was looking to either fix this problem.. or upgrade to projector headlights with halos. what do you guys recommend? what brands or types of lights should i look at.

I am very new at this- it would mean a lot if you guys could point me in the right directions. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
milesthng
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: 320i black
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

im in the same boat as you in this. have an 06 e90 with stock halogens!

So far what I have is just the standard halogen bulbs in white. i've been wanting to get HID's (but ppl said it could blind others?) or somehow putting projectors in but i don't know how to!

Will wait for responses as well
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
320dchris
Enlisted Member
320dchris's Avatar
Ireland
2
Rep
30
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320d m sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Louth

iTrader: (0)

http://www.umnitza.com/projector90-w...ir-p-1167.html or http://www.ebay.com/itm/121006558838...8d8e76&vxp=mtr

Is where most buy there projector headlights for their from!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
E90ATL
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e90 pre-LCI
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Same boat. I don't know why it's so difficult to get a helpful, straight answer on this question.

It's always a link or "google it"

Why can't someone just help the new guy and let me know what to look for and or what it's actually called?

I have an Pre-LCI (dont really know what that means) 2008 E90 328i stock halogens, what I want is to completely remove them and replace them with whatever its called when the lights have rings (I've heard "halo's" , "angel eyes", "HID's" , "projectors" , "LED" etc...)

Can someone clearly identify what I should be looking for? What it should cost?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Coly
Private
Coly's Avatar
0
Rep
94
Posts

 
Drives: E93
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ATL
Same boat. I don't know why it's so difficult to get a helpful, straight answer on this question.

It's always a link or "google it"

Why can't someone just help the new guy and let me know what to look for and or what it's actually called?

I have an Pre-LCI (dont really know what that means) 2008 E90 328i stock halogens, what I want is to completely remove them and replace them with whatever its called when the lights have rings (I've heard "halo's" , "angel eyes", "HID's" , "projectors" , "LED" etc...)

Can someone clearly identify what I should be looking for? What it should cost?

Thanks!
Hi new guy, it isn't actually that hard coming from another new guy.
You want the halos or angel eyes, this is the rings.
HID is high intensity which includes a ballast, this is in essence an overly
Complicated bulb for want of a better description.
Led is also a bulb replacement.
You either need a halogen to xenon conversion or new lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
exclusivo's Avatar
23
Rep
1,705
Posts

 
Drives: race car
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: queens, ny

iTrader: (11)

Although I suggest you go with the projectors, your HID flickering can be fixed by having the car coded to stop the bulb check. I upgraded to an OEM conversion that occasionally flickered and my HID fogs used to throw errors, after the coding everything has worked great.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
BOBKUR
Major
13
Rep
1,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E 90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CALIFORNIA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320dchris View Post
Umnitza sells nothing but junk. I have been down the road with them, projectors that bounce since they are not installed properly, error codes galore. Customer service is not to be seen, pure junk. I tried them and took one hell of a fight to get my refund. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Tsaoster
Private
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW with Premium Pkg
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Well, one of the reasons why you guys don't get straight up answers IS the fact that you do not search, hundreds of threads about changing halogen headlights to xenon projector headlights. Mind you, I used to have halogen headlights but I searched my way to success, I guarantee you if you search or even half assed it on google, you can find many answers.

Pre lci = cars from 06-08 for e90 and 2007-2010 e92, rest are LCI updates
Angel eyes = 4 halo rings in bmw headlight assemblies, you can change the bulb to led bulbs

now for your question about halogen headlights, you have basically 4 options

1. buy oem xenon projector headlights (includes angel eyes) from dealership, this is most costly, I think 2k+
2. buy umnitza xenon projector headlights (includes angel eyes), I heard this is a hit or miss, might want to search more extensively for better reviews. Around $700+
3. buy Fishcake depos xenon projector headlights from ebay (includes angel eyes), excellent leds in angel eyes, but sub-par projectors. Around $700+
4. buy used oem projector headlights from forum members or ebay, but buyers beware, most of the time if it's too good to be true then it probably is.

now ALL of the above require REWIRING, CODING and INSTALLATION from a professional, or if you are mechanically inclined, you can do so yourself.

hopefully this helps, but remember to and we know if you do or not since there are hundreds of these threads
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Otruba_843
Major
Otruba_843's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,459
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ATL View Post
Same boat. I don't know why it's so difficult to get a helpful, straight answer on this question.

It's always a link or "google it"

Why can't someone just help the new guy and let me know what to look for and or what it's actually called?

I have an Pre-LCI (dont really know what that means) 2008 E90 328i stock halogens, what I want is to completely remove them and replace them with whatever its called when the lights have rings (I've heard "halo's" , "angel eyes", "HID's" , "projectors" , "LED" etc...)

Can someone clearly identify what I should be looking for? What it should cost?

Thanks!
Because for some reason the people who have halogen housings have the most confusing questions and use the wrong terms in the wrong places. The halos which are the angel eyes are the rings you see around the headlights of bmw's. HID's are high intensity lights that use a ballast and have a slight bluish hint depending on the K. Projectors are the balls inside the headlight housing that look like an eyeball. In another words you don't see any lightbulb looking at the headlight housing rather you see an eyeball, half sphere shape. LED would probably be referring to changing the light bulb that is used to illuminate the angel eyes. You want a projector headlight housing with HID's for the main headlights you would use at night with angel eyes.
__________________
2009 E90 328i Monaco Blue
premium/idrive/convience/logic-7/cold weather/ xenons/ saddle brown interior
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Coly
Private
Coly's Avatar
0
Rep
94
Posts

 
Drives: E93
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaoster
Well, one of the reasons why you guys don't get straight up answers IS the fact that you do not search, hundreds of threads about changing halogen headlights to xenon projector headlights. Mind you, I used to have halogen headlights but I searched my way to success, I guarantee you if you search or even half assed it on google, you can find many answers.

Pre lci = cars from 06-08 for e90 and 2007-2010 e92, rest are LCI updates
Angel eyes = 4 halo rings in bmw headlight assemblies, you can change the bulb to led bulbs

now for your question about halogen headlights, you have basically 4 options

1. buy oem xenon projector headlights (includes angel eyes) from dealership, this is most costly, I think 2k+
2. buy umnitza xenon projector headlights (includes angel eyes), I heard this is a hit or miss, might want to search more extensively for better reviews. Around $700+
3. buy Fishcake depos xenon projector headlights from ebay (includes angel eyes), excellent leds in angel eyes, but sub-par projectors. Around $700+
4. buy used oem projector headlights from forum members or ebay, but buyers beware, most of the time if it's too good to be true then it probably is.

now ALL of the above require REWIRING, CODING and INSTALLATION from a professional, or if you are mechanically inclined, you can do so yourself.

hopefully this helps, but remember to and we know if you do or not since there are hundreds of these threads
Tsao has answered all questions really well. I was a bit lazy in my response.
Regarding the flickering on the first question, this is a bulb check however if they flickered and stayed on and now do not stay on this is a problem other than coding as the problem has developed
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
carzfan1
Private
carzfan1's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 328i Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaoster View Post
Well, one of the reasons why you guys don't get straight up answers IS the fact that you do not search, hundreds of threads about changing halogen headlights to xenon projector headlights. Mind you, I used to have halogen headlights but I searched my way to success, I guarantee you if you search or even half assed it on google, you can find many answers.

Pre lci = cars from 06-08 for e90 and 2007-2010 e92, rest are LCI updates
Angel eyes = 4 halo rings in bmw headlight assemblies, you can change the bulb to led bulbs

now for your question about halogen headlights, you have basically 4 options

1. buy oem xenon projector headlights (includes angel eyes) from dealership, this is most costly, I think 2k+
2. buy umnitza xenon projector headlights (includes angel eyes), I heard this is a hit or miss, might want to search more extensively for better reviews. Around $700+
3. buy Fishcake depos xenon projector headlights from ebay (includes angel eyes), excellent leds in angel eyes, but sub-par projectors. Around $700+
4. buy used oem projector headlights from forum members or ebay, but buyers beware, most of the time if it's too good to be true then it probably is.

now ALL of the above require REWIRING, CODING and INSTALLATION from a professional, or if you are mechanically inclined, you can do so yourself.

hopefully this helps, but remember to and we know if you do or not since there are hundreds of these threads
thank you for your detailed response, if i may ask- what did you do on your car? i love the look that the halos give the car... but is it honestly worth $700+ (without installation) i dont know...

i've also heard a lot about this one other company called OSS Designs... heard they do good work...any reason as to why you would/wouldn't recommend them?

also where can i get the coding done from? I don't think the dealer would re-code it for me... lol
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
carzfan1
Private
carzfan1's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 328i Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesthng View Post
im in the same boat as you in this. have an 06 e90 with stock halogens!

So far what I have is just the standard halogen bulbs in white. i've been wanting to get HID's (but ppl said it could blind others?) or somehow putting projectors in but i don't know how to!

Will wait for responses as well

haha i feel you man, i dont really care about "blinding" others... i just dont want my HID's to crap out on me and flicker and cut off... which is what they have been doing... im tired of that crap! lol hope we both get what we want man.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
carzfan1
Private
carzfan1's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 328i Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ATL View Post
Same boat. I don't know why it's so difficult to get a helpful, straight answer on this question.

It's always a link or "google it"

Why can't someone just help the new guy and let me know what to look for and or what it's actually called?

I have an Pre-LCI (dont really know what that means) 2008 E90 328i stock halogens, what I want is to completely remove them and replace them with whatever its called when the lights have rings (I've heard "halo's" , "angel eyes", "HID's" , "projectors" , "LED" etc...)

Can someone clearly identify what I should be looking for? What it should cost?


Thanks!
i understand man... there are a bunch of very informative people on this forum... ive had my account since 2009 and ive barely posted 40 times... its amazing how much information is on here... but we have to dig it up... its never gonna be all on one simple thread with all of our questions answered.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #14
Tsaoster
Private
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW with Premium Pkg
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzfan1 View Post
thank you for your detailed response, if i may ask- what did you do on your car? i love the look that the halos give the car... but is it honestly worth $700+ (without installation) i dont know...

i've also heard a lot about this one other company called OSS Designs... heard they do good work...any reason as to why you would/wouldn't recommend them?

also where can i get the coding done from? I don't think the dealer would re-code it for me... lol
I went oem way, a lot more costly,

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751689 this is my review thread

if you want projector headlights and angel eyes 700 for the headlight is already cheap, but i can tell u the quality is not as good as oem, obviously.

OSS is a company that specializes in angel eyes, they can customize your angel eyes into led ones and really bright, its expensive tho. and you need to ship your headlights to them or you need to find if they have a local shop for you

coding you can do yourself, get a cable and if you have a laptop you are set. or go to the region forums and pay a forum member to do it for you
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #15
carzfan1
Private
carzfan1's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 328i Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaoster View Post
I went oem way, a lot more costly,

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751689 this is my review thread

if you want projector headlights and angel eyes 700 for the headlight is already cheap, but i can tell u the quality is not as good as oem, obviously.

OSS is a company that specializes in angel eyes, they can customize your angel eyes into led ones and really bright, its expensive tho. and you need to ship your headlights to them or you need to find if they have a local shop for you

coding you can do yourself, get a cable and if you have a laptop you are set. or go to the region forums and pay a forum member to do it for you

thanks man- really appreciate all the detail in your post... im still looking but unlike you i dont think i can afford to put in the fancy OEM ones... i think i'll most likely end up buying the DEPOs.

will i have to do the codeing as soon as i get the lights put it? from my understanding, the coding just takes out the "error signs" on the HUD right? OR Will there be flickering/turning off of the headlamp itself unless i get them coded...?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #16
Tsaoster
Private
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW with Premium Pkg
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

if you go depo, just know the projector (the crystall ball if you will) is really subpar, the beams won't be concentrated and will be scattered. however depo will have one of the better angel eyes out there

if you do not code many things can happen, lights can shut off for no reason, can flicker. coding can remove potential problems down the road and remove the error messages in the BC screen
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #17
milesthng
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: 320i black
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

I decided to go OEM without Xenons and have LCI Halogens with LUX in them now
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
Tomz_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
33
Rep
1,925
Posts

 
Drives: 08 Jet Black E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (11)

Next time look at Depo's. Or get a set of OEM projectors, they come with halos and run about $500 used.
__________________
Stock....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #19
carzfan1
Private
carzfan1's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 328i Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz_335i View Post
Next time look at Depo's. Or get a set of OEM projectors, they come with halos and run about $500 used.
Just ordered my Depo's... patiently waiting for them to come in!

got it on ebay from fishcake321

in the add it stated that they were simple "plug and play'

we'll see what happens when i get them put in.

here's the link if anyone else was interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170949255029...S:3160&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
rich123321
Captain
rich123321's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
795
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325i E90
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW E90  [4.17]
The real way to go on this is the OEM route or the depo route. DO NOT BUY FROM UMNITZA! If you want the angel eyes, be prepared to shell out 700 plus for at least aftermarket headlights. Remember you get what you pay for. I am hoping to get the depo's for christmas :P
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #21
carzfan1
Private
carzfan1's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 328i Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Talking HALOGEN to ANGLE EYE's conversion pics

Alrighty guys, so there has been a lot of talk about what to get if you have stock halogens and want that angel eye look... I personally went the DEPO V2 way... (OEM were too expensive, and all the other crap out there looked cheap)

I bought these online from eBay from a user named: fishcake321

they are 100% error free and require no coding what so ever...
had them installed for three days and haven't showed a single error.

I installed them myself with the help of a friend..
the install was pretty straight forward...
although it DID require the removal of the front bumper...
but if you have a little bit of experience you can do this... its not that hard.

Please let me know what you guys think:
Attached Images
          
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST