E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i Reliability and mistake of buying it.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #45
NoTempoLimitN54
Second Lieutenant
 
NoTempoLimitN54's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 236
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio View Post
Not sure if this is the case with your car, but I would never buy a lease return. People don't break them in properly and drive them very hard. What do they care?
Don't mean to pile on, but I think the above is a factor. My CPO '09 335i is just about to hit equivalent of 80k km [50k mi]. It's a 6MT which means it's a special order car. It had two owners so it's not likely a lease (CarFax did not show a lease).

During the two PO's ownership, it had a bad fuel temp sensor and HPFP replacement and waste gate rattle fix.

While I've owned it (6 months and 6k miles) It's had the bank 1 fuel injectors changed and the seat belt assist fix. It ran fine, but I took it in for the MIL light and they changed out the injectors.

I had the intake valves cleaned at my expense at 49k miles. There were no obvious drivability problems, I just wanted to have it done. Of course the car runs better now.

That's about it [knock on aluminum]
__________________

2009 335i 6MT (E92/N54), Black Sapphire / Shadowline (Individual 760) / Black Dakota Leather, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, PDC, no Nav/iDrive, 19 x 8.5 / 19 x 9.5 VMR VB3 in Hyper Black, Pilot Super Sport 235/35 fr 265/30 rr, M3 control arms + tension links (fr)
NoTempoLimitN54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #46
Fitz335
Private First Class
 
Fitz335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Black
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sicily

Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I bought this car for performance not reliability, I would have bought a Camry if I just needed something to go from A to B.

I'm not excusing the problems that you're having, I think BMW obviously spent more time on the engine itself with these cars and less on the support equipment.
Fitz335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #47
techwhiz
Lieutenant Colonel
 
techwhiz's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca

Posts: 1,652
iTrader: (3)

I don't know about reliability of my e90 335i, but my previous 4 BMWs were fine.
I spent more on maint. for my stupid Dodge Caravan when I had it than any other car I've owned. Don't get me started about my wife's Dodge Magnum and the $800 major service; and that was at an indy. The dealer wanted $1200.

I'll keep my 335i thank you. Definitely not a mistake.
techwhiz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #48
jzxi
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gunnison, CO USA

Posts: 39
iTrader: (1)

LOL.....A M.E. upset over reliabilty. A little due diligence would have revealed the compromise when making the twin-turbo, direct injection choice over proven N/A inline six tech.

Welcome to the party pal!
__________________
Sparkling graphite, Cold, Premium, Sport, 6MT, 35% tint, Eibach pro, 17" 159's with studded Gislaved winters. 18" AG 310 with Michelin PSS summer. Magnaflow cat-back and charcoal filter delete. Led angel eyes coded for DRL.
jzxi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #49
See5
Real Goon
 
See5's Avatar
 
Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Yeah, I haven't been impressed with the reliability either. I knew it would maintenance intensive but its making me want to dump the car right before the CPO warranty runs out.

Overall, the car is great but I can't see myself buying another BMW.
See5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #50
John 070
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Posts: 11,466
iTrader: (0)

I think it's understandable to become incoherent and rant when your car is not reliable, I know I was angry with my car when I couldn't drive it for 6 mos. But again, I remind everybody, it's a car, not a rocketship. It can be fixed, but there is a pricetag. My car has been 100% reliable for 2 1/2 yrs. now. it's 6 yrs. old, and spent 6 mos. of its life stalling randomly--no, that's not acceptable, but it's over and done.

imho if you buy a vehicle with 60k on it, either you're trying to save money, or you don't have the money to begin with. Granted, yes, Japanese tend to be more reliable, I have a 15 y.o. Nissan on which one thing has broken in its life--the starter. And that's to be expected. But there's no comparison between the 335 and Nissan as far as how they drive.

There's a reason why people get new cars. Only a moron would complain about a 10k repair on a 7 series that's known ahead of time--there's a reason the original owner no longer drives that 7. Water leak on 7 series = $10,000, nobody has hidden that fact, so it is in fact caveat emptor.
John 070 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #51
John 070
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Posts: 11,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxi View Post
LOL.....A M.E. upset over reliabilty. A little due diligence would have revealed the compromise when making the twin-turbo, direct injection choice over proven N/A inline six tech.

Welcome to the party pal!
LOL until you have a $1800 EVAP job on a N52/N53
John 070 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #52
cultr3
Private
 
Drives: E92 335
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC/CA

Posts: 92
iTrader: (0)

Why not just man up and buy a new car instead of sloppy seconds that someone else already screwed up and then bitch about it? This stuff comes with the territory of buying used, and you should expect it. Doesn't take a UBC grad to figure that out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greye90 View Post
I just wanted to rant a bit about this car. First of all, kind of a POS-only has 60K on it. I purchased it from a BMW dealer as a Certified lease return and was excited that I could get into what I thought was a better car than my Honda's or VW in my past. I have owned the car for about a year and purchased it with 36K KM, and had all of its regular things done to it by that time: HPFP, turbos and injectors. Okay, so I understand this was an early car and there are teething problems. I have owned it for about 24K km now, and its been back in for clutch(because rear main seal leak) and water pump was all covered under warranty. Valve cover gasket is leaking now and not covered under extended warranty because it is wear/tear. Wouldn't complain, but it is a 1000K job-yes, I could do it myself for cheaper, but realistically buying a premium car shouldn't require me to do so.
I was complaining to the dealer about the relative unreliability of this car and I regretted not leasing so I can give the car back when I was done with it. He told me that this was a very rewarding car to drive, and many owners stretch themselves getting into the car and cant afford to maintain them. Sure I agree a little, but fact is that a Hyundai is not this unreliable. It infers that BMW owners have more money than brains to accept this unreliability because of the BMW logo.
I am a mechanical engineer, and was a licensed mechanic for 10 years before becoming so, and am appalled at the reliability of this car. Why are simple things as water pumps, or valve cover gaskets failing at 60K? My Toyota 4Runner had 380K km on it and only required a water pump because I changed the timing belt and was cost efficient to replace at that time.
Anyways, I'm gonna replace the valve cover gasket shortly, and hope nothing else explodes or breaks down on me. I luckily opted for the finance plan with a balloon payment at the end so I think I can just give them car back and walk away. From now on, I will remove any of my pre-conceived notions on what makes a "cool" car and just buy Japanese. They are somewhat soul less machines, but I wont be stopping off at the dealer on my free time to drop it off to get it fixed.
cultr3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #53
Vegetable
Lieutenant
 
Vegetable's Avatar
 
Drives: 435i M-Sport MT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 437
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultr3 View Post
Why not just man up and buy a new car instead of sloppy seconds that someone else already screwed up and then bitch about it? This stuff comes with the territory of buying used, and you should expect it. Doesn't take a UBC grad to figure that out...
Why don't you man up and buy OP a new car instead of bitching about his bitching?
Vegetable is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #54
rteichman
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2007 e92 328i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio View Post
Not sure if this is the case with your car, but I would never buy a lease return. People don't break them in properly and drive them very hard. What do they care?
Sorry but I disagree. Every car I have bought (as my daily driver) in the past 20 years has been a lease return. That includes my current 328 and 3 previous ones, along with a couple Mercs, Audis, and Saabs. I only once had a problem (my second and last Merc). I buy them at about 35k miles and get rid of them at 100K miles when the CPO warranty expires. For me that is about 2 years per car.

Granted the 328 engine is "old faithful", but the water pump, valve cover and stuff like that is not specific to the 335. I think sometimes you just get a lemon. My '96 Merc E320 certainly fit that bill. It was in the shop every month I owned it, having the transmission replaced, struts, brake cylinders, seats, windows, headlights, etc.
rteichman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #55
KwlAznKid
Colonel
 
KwlAznKid's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: LA/Irvine/Fremont, CA/ University of California San Diego Alum

Posts: 2,413
iTrader: (4)

i had more money than brains when i got all of my previous cars (thanks mom n dad), then they cut me off and i got more brains than money which is why i'm in a 328i now
__________________
BMW E92 328I /BMW E46 M3 /Mercedes Benz W209 CLK500 /BMW E92 335I(sold)/Porsche 996 911 C2(sold)/BMW E46 325CI(totaled)
KwlAznKid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #56
John 070
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Posts: 11,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
i had more money than brains when i got all of my previous cars (thanks mom n dad), then they cut me off and i got more brains than money which is why i'm in a 328i now
They're doing you a real favor imho. I have a buddy who lives in a house well let's just say a former NBA player had it built. He drives a 2006 Audi. imho when you really have money, there's no need to get a new car every 2 years. At the same time, these folks are driven to increase their balances, not reduce it through wasteful spending.
John 070 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #57
BMWs4ever
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i  [5.00]
A bad water pump at 60K is what I call bad luck. It's unfortunate it happened so get the repairs done and hopefully everything will be good :-)
BMWs4ever is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #58
Chris_506
From RWD to AWD
 
Chris_506's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

Posts: 2,601
iTrader: (13)




__________________
Chris_506 is offline   Costa Rica
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #59
cultr3
Private
 
Drives: E92 335
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC/CA

Posts: 92
iTrader: (0)

Why should I pay to fix others mistakes, unless the post and any possibly defective arguments it has were offered to me in the as-is condition and i agree to take it with understanding that I will get a significant discount (or rebate in this case since the amount i owe is already 0)

He's the one bashing a whole BMW brand based on the condition of a heavily used second-hand car. It's not BMW's fault, or even the previous owner's fault since we can all do what we want to the cars we paid for. The responsibility falls to the buyer and the mechanic that inspected it...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
Why don't you man up and buy OP a new car instead of bitching about his bitching?

Last edited by cultr3; 12-20-2012 at 02:23 AM.
cultr3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #60
The Wildcard
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: California

Posts: 96
iTrader: (0)

I feel your frustation on comparing reliablity of BMW versus Japanese brands. But as many in this thread of commented, it comes with the terrority.

Nothing is perfect. Japanese cars are reliable, yes. But the driving experience does not compare to the BMW in the price range of the E90. The drive with the E90 is just fantastic.
The Wildcard is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #61
Smooth 330i
Captain
 
Smooth 330i's Avatar
 
Drives: Sleepy 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 969
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greye90 View Post
I just wanted to rant a bit about this car. First of all, kind of a POS-only has 60K on it. I purchased it from a BMW dealer as a Certified lease return and was excited that I could get into what I thought was a better car than my Honda's or VW in my past. I have owned the car for about a year and purchased it with 36K KM, and had all of its regular things done to it by that time: HPFP, turbos and injectors. Okay, so I understand this was an early car and there are teething problems. I have owned it for about 24K km now, and its been back in for clutch(because rear main seal leak) and water pump was all covered under warranty. Valve cover gasket is leaking now and not covered under extended warranty because it is wear/tear. Wouldn't complain, but it is a 1000K job-yes, I could do it myself for cheaper, but realistically buying a premium car shouldn't require me to do so.
I was complaining to the dealer about the relative unreliability of this car and I regretted not leasing so I can give the car back when I was done with it. He told me that this was a very rewarding car to drive, and many owners stretch themselves getting into the car and cant afford to maintain them. Sure I agree a little, but fact is that a Hyundai is not this unreliable. It infers that BMW owners have more money than brains to accept this unreliability because of the BMW logo.
I am a mechanical engineer, and was a licensed mechanic for 10 years before becoming so, and am appalled at the reliability of this car. Why are simple things as water pumps, or valve cover gaskets failing at 60K? My Toyota 4Runner had 380K km on it and only required a water pump because I changed the timing belt and was cost efficient to replace at that time.
Anyways, I'm gonna replace the valve cover gasket shortly, and hope nothing else explodes or breaks down on me. I luckily opted for the finance plan with a balloon payment at the end so I think I can just give them car back and walk away. From now on, I will remove any of my pre-conceived notions on what makes a "cool" car and just buy Japanese. They are somewhat soul less machines, but I wont be stopping off at the dealer on my free time to drop it off to get it fixed.
I am an elec engineer and know how you feel. Before I bought my 330i I talked to my BMW Indy and they simply recommended non-turbo I6, any of them e36-e90. They race BMW cars and non of them are N54 or N55, they have two e36 and just picked up e46 M3 to mod. He also said that N54 and N55 are engineering gems on paper and for the first 60K mi but they should have been built in Japan. They also have three loaners (all BMW) and one of them is '91 525i with 218K mi. I drove it several times and everything still works. Those were the days when BMW built cars to last. So far 330i has been rock solid but I take care of it very well and buy quality parts.
__________________

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
Smooth 330i is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #62
rbtamms
Major
 
rbtamms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 and 2013 F25
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,370
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
I have owned Toyota, Lexus, Honda & Acura in the past before I switch to BMW. I trusted japanese cars because of their realibility & cheaper to maintain. I never had any issues with any of the cars & then I finally decided to pull the trigger to try BMW because I heard so much about how fun to drive it. After owning my 2011 E90 for a year, I bought another one for my wife which is a 2013 X3. We both enjoy driving our ultimate machines so much that I paid off my E90 & planning to paid off the X3 next year as well. We definitely want to keep our BMW's for life.

Since I joined this forum I've read a lot of realibility issues & the cost of maintenance. Our car is still pretty new & I hope that german cars will exceed our expectations regarding reliability. If both our cars will give us some headaches before 5 years of owning it. I will definitely go back to japanese cars & will forget about BMW even though it's fun to drive.
__________________
rbtamms is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #63
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

I have a feeling that in a year or 2, seeing a e90 335i on the road will be rare. Warranties will be ending and everyone will just get a new one. except a select few enthusiasts
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #64
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 13,807
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
I understand what the OP means. Why should 'simple' things like water/fuel pumps go bad so often? After all the years of R&D, small things like this should be ironed out.

Gotta pay to play.
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** VMR Winter Wheel/Tire Sale! **
VMRWheels is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #65
thecadman99
First Lieutenant
 
thecadman99's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia

Posts: 373
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
I have a feeling that in a year or 2, seeing a e90 335i on the road will be rare. Warranties will be ending and everyone will just get a new one. except a select few enthusiasts
+1
__________________
06 330i 6mt Spt- Eibach Springs, BMW Perf Susp, Supersprint Exhaust, BSW Audio
94 325i 5mt 4d- M3 springs/susp, Z3 wheels, Chipped, Intake, Exhaust= FUN!
thecadman99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #66
Fitz335
Private First Class
 
Fitz335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Black
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sicily

Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
I have a feeling that in a year or 2, seeing a e90 335i on the road will be rare. Warranties will be ending and everyone will just get a new one. except a select few enthusiasts
You won't see less, you will just see a younger crowd driving them.
Fitz335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST