E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Crank seal leaking

12-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT

Crank seal leaking

So I have recently experienced the belt shredding oil leaking nightmare. I have checked the PS pulley and there is no damage to it. I have had my oil filter housing gaskets replaced which is where I though the leak was coming from but it now looks like the oil is coming from the front main crank seal. I have read a few posts about how the belt can literally get sucked into the engine through this seal and I am kind of freaking out about the possibility of having to buy a new engine.

So I am taking the car to a local BMW shop as she is out of warranty however I have been working to locate all the required parts to get this resolved. Apparently you are required to use two special loctite glues well one of these things its not possible to find in the US Loctite 171000 you have to order it from Germany (side note WTF is that about) after talking with a tech analyst at loctite we found a comperable but not an exact match for this primer. And the glue as well as crank seal I am having shipped to me.

I am just curious what the likelihood that this belt actually got sucked into the engine or if it just damaged the seal. And if anyone has an experience with my loctite primer and sealant issues.

Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
A L I A S
Registered
Rep

Drives: aw e90

ok so heres a cutaway of the n52

as you can see the drive belt is at the very front of the engine. behind that is a metal timing chain cover which is sealed to the side of the cylinder block/head.....with that being said, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that belt is getting inside that engine. so dont get over worked and dont let the dealer bend you over!
on a side note, i dont know what the deal is with the "special" loctite your talking about, but if you want a bolt to stay there is nothing more i would trust than red loctite.

Last edited by A L I A S; 12-19-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
A L I A S
Registered
Rep

Drives: aw e90

horribly sorry about that, i just noticed you have an e92 335i!!!
so, heres a picture of the n54tt

again same principle applies, you have the drive belt with all your accessories on the very front of the engine. in this picture you can actually see almost the entire metal timing cover...the crank seal is behind the big crank pully. So with that being addressed, the huge crank pully has to be removed to get to the crank seal. theres just no way the drive belt is going anywhere near the inside of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I believe the belt has wrapped itself around the crank and damaged the seal so I hoping its just that simple and the issue will be resolved.

As for this loctite bs BMW specially contacted them for a glue that would active both by contact with metal and with UV light. Well u can get the sealant from a dealer however the primer is NOT available in the US it has to be shipped from Germany and there is no exact US conversion per my conversation with a loctite technical analyst. This combo is mentioned is the tis and bolded to tell you if you don't use it you will not resolve the oil leak. My comvo with loctite has made me decide that I will try a US primer as it should work and see how that performs.

If anyone has this issue please let me know I would more than happy to discuss what my hours of research has found and what the result is once the work gets done.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Nanotech214
Rep

Drives: Black 2007 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixxishot View Post
Well I believe the belt has wrapped itself around the crank and damaged the seal so I hoping its just that simple and the issue will be resolved.

As for this loctite bs BMW specially contacted them for a glue that would active both by contact with metal and with UV light. Well u can get the sealant from a dealer however the primer is NOT available in the US it has to be shipped from Germany and there is no exact US conversion per my conversation with a loctite technical analyst. This combo is mentioned is the tis and bolded to tell you if you don't use it you will not resolve the oil leak. My comvo with loctite has made me decide that I will try a US primer as it should work and see how that performs.

If anyone has this issue please let me know I would more than happy to discuss what my hours of research has found and what the result is once the work gets done.
Hey what was the outcome of this, I recently ordered the seal because of the same issue, can you please tell me what glue was used for this. I'm planing on doing this myself... Have everything off already
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep

Everything has worked well I haven't noticed any issues and I was fortunate to not have the belt get sucked into the engine. Ill
Have to look up the US primer equivalent but you should be able to order the glue from a dealer make sure it comes with the needle tips you'll need them for application.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Nanotech214
Rep

Drives: Black 2007 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixxishot View Post
Everything has worked well I haven't noticed any issues and I was fortunate to not have the belt get sucked into the engine. Ill
Have to look up the US primer equivalent but you should be able to order the glue from a dealer make sure it comes with the needle tips you'll need them for application.
Hey which primer equivalent did you use do you remember? been almost two months and i still can not resolve this damn leak
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanotech214 View Post
Hey which primer equivalent did you use do you remember? been almost two months and i still can not resolve this damn leak
My apologies I completely forgot to look it up. I used Loctite 7649 best of luck to you. I recommend you buy the aerosol version easier to coat everything that way.
Appreciate 0