E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Headlight Question / Observation

02-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
sngencarelli
Private

Drives: 2007 E93

Headlight Question / Observation

Just wanted to pose a quick question.. I think I already know the answer, but I wanted to be 100%...

My 07 E93 is in for service at the dealer this week (I've got an extended warranty). They always provide me a loaner and in this case, it is a new 5 series with only 4300 miles. I didnt anticipate liking the car this much (since I assumed that it's size would impact handling).. Every day that I have it it is growing on me more and more.. Lots of nice features - heads up display, kick to open trunk, heated steering wheel... But I digress...

On to my headlight question.. I have adaptive xenons on my 07 and have been very happy with them, with maybe the exception of the cutoff.. The new 5 headlights are really great - great spread, better cutoff, and exceptional high beams.

I'm sure this isnt a fair comparison as this car is 6 years newer, but... The auto leveling on my 07 headlights is very subtle (except of course during the start up check). On the new 5, the headlights respond as I think they should.. If you crest a hill, the headlights automatically point down so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic and then level back out automatically. It is very noticeable, and the movement is very smooth. I notice them leveling a lot during normal driving. On my '07, I rarely notice any up/down movement when driving - if I do, it is more of a step down movement. I'm assuming that this is normal for my model year, but just wanted to check with other pre-LCI 3 series drivers.

Thanks!
      02-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
BOBKUR
Major

Drives: 2008 E 90

Things that deal with technology change quickly.
      02-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
sngencarelli
Private

Drives: 2007 E93

Very true...It looks like they nailed it this go around. This is the way I would expect the leveling to work.