E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > shop messed up*, almost really bad**. pics

12-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
mccannable
First Lieutenant

Drives: 06 330i mt

shop messed up*, almost really bad**. pics

*I think.

**if wheel fell off and i crashed into store full of innocent puppies

Took my car in to local indie shop 11/29 for clicking sound when turning and a few other things.

They replaced front "lower" control arms, vanos solenoids, and an O2 sensor. all covered by my warranty so it cost me zero.

noticed the clicking is better but not gone. Driving tonight without music which I rarely do when tapping the brakes I hear a clunk from the front right wheel/brake area. took it home and investigated and found some very loose bolt on one of the control arms, not the one they replaced but very visibly lose and the entire hub could be shaken by hand.

questions:
is this the shops fault? they were working right in that area and im not sure they touched that exact bolt or not.

How should I address this issue? Fix it myself(replace bolt so its not damaged)
and let the shop know it could have been dangerous? or let them fix and get me a rental car if it seems like its their fault.

I don't want to go pointing fingers but if this had lost a few more threads my wheel could have came off caused an accident.

here is the diagram
bolt loose is part numbers "8" and "9". part replaced is "3"
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...iagram=1942245

pics -also appears to have been pried hit with hammer pretty strongly-

12-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
ChasVS
Colonel

Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Fix it and find a New Shop! That was probably the source of your original problem and they took BMW to the cleaners on unnecessary parts and labor. Plus they left you in danger.
      12-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
mccannable
First Lieutenant

They are the only European shop for 30 miles. Next closet is a small BMW dealer. But I probably won't go back.

Last edited by mccannable; 12-16-2012 at 10:42 AM.
      12-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
DDS2015
Major

Drives: 2011 E90 LCI 328i xdrive

Garage List
Take it back. I had a similar thing happen when I had brakes done on my previous vehicle. I had it done by the dealer and the tech that was doing the job forgot to torque down one of the caliper bolts. The caliper bolt fell out when I was on the highway and almost caused me to flip at my exit because I couldn't slow down. Called the dealer, raised hell, they made it right. Stuff like this is serious, and they need to know that the job they do can affect people's lives.
DDS2015 is offline   Canada
      12-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.

Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

you should post the name of the shop and yelp them with pics.. warn others for future.
      12-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
mccannable
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
you should post the name of the shop and yelp them with pics.. warn others for future.
You may be right but I always feel like they should get a chance to right the wrong. Plus most people in my town don't know what the Internet is so that would have zero effect.
      12-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
///M3NACE
Banned

Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

I would bolt it down and torque with right specs and never go back to the shop. Drive the extra miles for the dealership.
      12-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.

Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccannable View Post
You may be right but I always feel like they should get a chance to right the wrong. Plus most people in my town don't know what the Internet is so that would have zero effect.
with that kinda wrong.. it could have gone real bad depending on what was left loose, like the guy in an earlier post said what if it was your brakes that went out, worst case scenario. sometimes a small thing can lead to a bigger prob that would cost you a lot more.

and honestly pretty lucky you looked and saw it

just noticed it wasnt the one they replaced. but you noticed it after you got the car back, also hope they not a shady shop that tries to make things go wrong for them to fix later.
      12-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Fix it yourself before driving the car.

Then in a mature manner notify the shop, dont point the finger just yet. That is the correct way of approaching any situation like this.

People are quick to bash vendors and shops and many don't get the whole story.

Do the right thing, ask the right questions and inform them for the future.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      12-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
orionredwing
Captain

Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.00]
Um what does VANOS solenoids and O2 sensors have to do with the clicking sound? Did they provide an explanation?

I'm the one who posted the DIY on the VANOS solenoid replacement and I don't believe clicking sounds are one of the failure modes lol.

Did they show you a printout of the codes that were thrown?

Omg sounds like a real shady shop.

Now as others have mentioned the loose bolt may have been the root cause, and the shop in their incompetence may not have noticed it. I wouldn't go in assuming blame but regardless this shop sounds pretty bad to me. Good luck!

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
      12-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
mccannable
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
Um what does VANOS solenoids and O2 sensors have to do with the clicking sound? Did they provide an explanation?

I'm the one who posted the DIY on the VANOS solenoid replacement and I don't believe clicking sounds are one of the failure modes lol.

Did they show you a printout of the codes that were thrown?

Omg sounds like a real shady shop.

Now as others have mentioned the loose bolt may have been the root cause, and the shop in their incompetence may not have noticed it. I wouldn't go in assuming blame but regardless this shop sounds pretty bad to me. Good luck!
The check engine light was on and was bad on power. I had been meaning to take it in for the clicking but all my cars in the past I have taken in to local shops for suspension related problems have had a very low success rate of finding anyone wrong.

Like ball joints in my old accord, control arm bushing in e46. Couple shops said absolutely nothing was wrong. The wheel actually fell off the accord while drivin 2 days after a very "reputiable" shop said nothing was broken. I live in a very lazy town.
      12-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
mccannable
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post

Then in a mature manner notify the shop, dont point the finger just yet. That is the correct way of approaching any situation like this.

This is pretty much what I'm going to do. I can't prove they touched that bolt. Ill call them and send them pics and just give them a heads up.
      12-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
ritjeff
Private

Drives: E90 LCI 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions

I agree with Jeff. It's just sad that some dealerships (like mine) could care less.
ritjeff is offline   United_States
      12-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
mccannable
First Lieutenant

Where should I find this tq specs? Ask the shop to look them up?
      12-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
theblackmamba
Banned

Drives: 0

realoem.com should have tq specs

they didnt' tq that nut to speq and they didnt use an impact to get it on there...most likely used a hand ratchet with no tq adjustment.

a local shop here psi put back on my stock suspension on my first 335i. they went to lowes to get a nut to tighten the oem suspension on top. LOWES, yes LOWES to get a nylon wash lock nut. Needless to say, I was driving home and all I here is clunk clunk clunk. couldn't turn around bc I was halfway home and the shop was closed. drove back the next couple of days with them getting the oem part AND me getting the oem part and they replaced it.

they didnt even tell me what they had done til after.

this is a local shop that does high end cars from what I understand. I guess my money wasnt in the thousands so they didn't give two shits.

that and the mechanic who was working on my car wasnt even certified to work on cars.
      12-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
mccannable
First Lieutenant

I had a nice conversation with the owner. He looked up the info and said they would not have needed to remove that bolt get the front control arm off. He then apologized if they missed it being loose. He offered to check it over. I have never had issues with the owner, but there is another guy that has been there recently that has been less than steller. I will prob make the trip to the dealer when time allows.
      12-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #17
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán

Drives: Mojave E92

Quote:

I'm sure people locally have The Internet.

Glad it was made better and you spoke to the owner...up to you to list the shop. I know most people locally would want to try and avoid that shop...if they can. But per your point...shops do indeed make mistakes even if they're great shops!

Have you considered going to Fields? Don't know where you live but they have two locations...
pimp4cheddar is offline   United_States
      12-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #18
mccannable
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
I'm sure people locally have The Internet.

Glad it was made better and you spoke to the owner...up to you to list the shop. I know most people locally would want to try and avoid that shop...if they can. But per your point...shops do indeed make mistakes even if they're great shops!

Have you considered going to Fields? Don't know where you live but they have two locations...
I'm closer to ocala BMW. Fields always seemed nice when shopping.
      12-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #19
07lilredwagon
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 328 wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post

Please follow this advice.....you have the pictures...I would call, tell them what happened, tell them you are sending your pictures and ask whos attention to send the email to.....At the very least, the mechanic who worked on your car should get chewed out and "reminded" that this could have been very serious and possibly put the shop out of business, ect....

I might be concerned about the control arm (was that the part?) that shows signs of hammering and prying, ect....when you cinch the bolt down and tighten it to specs if possible, with (red?) locktite, take a look at that part...does it look compromised?....the shop should be held accountable for that part....

Also, please look for other "forgotten" nuts, bolts, clips, hoses that were "left off" by the mechanic.

VANOS valves act up once in a great while and cause rough idle among other things...but ticking?...maybe....

O2 sensor?...

good luck with it...

JP
      12-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
I M LEGEND
Private

Drives: M

raise hell! j/k

like others have said, torque it down. call the shop, send them the pics. ask for a reinspection. take the car in and hope for the best.

good luck
      12-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #21
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2008 5 Series  [3.30]
Take it back to the shop. Sounds like this problem wouldn't have occurred if they weren't working in that general area.

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow-Form | LIVE INVENTORY: V705 V703 V710 | V710 PICTURE THREAD
p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | f. facebook.com/vmrwheels f. flickr.com/vmrwheels i. instagram.com/vmrwheels
      12-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Back in the 90's when I was in prison, the other inmates didn't really know how to use a computer, and they were amazed at all the women who were visiting me. I kinda miss talking on that phone like you see in the movies.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...th-his-007.jpg

Of course this is way before cheapjailcalls.com, where you can get unlimited for $17.99/mo.