E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any fuel pump failures when using Chevron gas?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-16-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
BzzzBom
Major
 
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,214
iTrader: (0)

Any fuel pump failures when using Chevron gas?

My February build E92 w/ a February production fuel pump has long crank times when cold and after heat-soak when using Shell or Mobil gas but never when using Chevron 91 octane. Interestingly, both the Mobil and Shell pumps have signs stating that their gas may have up to 10% ethanol. The Chevron pumps do not have this mandatory warning sign. Are there any Chevron exclusive users out there who have had a pump failure? If you are having long crank times you may want to consider switching to Chevron. Please post your findings.
BzzzBom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2007, 12:18 AM   #2
jon@themshop
Captain
 
jon@themshop's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles/Eagle Rock, CA

Posts: 759
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
My February build E92 w/ a February production fuel pump has long crank times when cold and after heat-soak when using Shell or Mobil gas but never when using Chevron 91 octane. Interestingly, both the Mobil and Shell pumps have signs stating that their gas may have up to 10% ethanol. The Chevron pumps do not have this mandatory warning sign. Are there any Chevron exclusive users out there who have had a pump failure? If you are having long crank times you may want to consider switching to Chevron. Please post your findings.
I use Chevron and Shell and still experience long cranking times. My 335i is a 10/06 production date and still on the original fuel pump. The long cranking times are intermittent though.
jon@themshop is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
Ray
Member
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Drives: three series
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: sfCA

Posts: 22,825
iTrader: (0)

I used Chevron 91 exclusively until my pump went out at about 2500 miles.
Ray is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
vq352k
Private First Class
 
Drives: F10 535xi, e92 335I (Ret.)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nova

Posts: 147
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to vq352k
someone told me that it was bad to leave the tank almost empty. I get to the point where i only have 5 or 20 miles left before it's empty(i hate getting gas, i know weird) i picked up my car early nov 06, right now i have 10k+ and still running strong, when I first picked up the car it had long cranks not anymore tho. Maybe this fuel pumps need to be forced a bit.... could that have helped me??? any ideas??
vq352k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2007, 01:03 AM   #5
Ray
Member
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Drives: three series
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: sfCA

Posts: 22,825
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vq352k View Post
someone told me that it was bad to leave the tank almost empty. I get to the point where i only have 5 or 20 miles left before it's empty(i hate getting gas, i know weird)...
I too have heard bad things about the near empty tank.

Some mention that the end of a tank will contain the remnants of the total content when full. As a result these remaining particles will then clog a fuel pump, or in our case the HPFP.
Ray is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
BzzzBom
Major
 
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@themshop View Post
I use Chevron and Shell and still experience long cranking times. My 335i is a 10/06 production date and still on the original fuel pump. The long cranking times are intermittent though.
I used Chevron and Shell and had the same issues. After switching to Chevron only about 5 weeks ago I have not had any long crank times.
BzzzBom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
BzzzBom
Major
 
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I used Chevron 91 exclusively until my pump went out at about 2500 miles.
What was the production date of your pump? The pumps built Jan 07 and later are the revised ones. Note: Many 07 build cars may have the old fuel pump.
BzzzBom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Ray
Member
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Drives: three series
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: sfCA

Posts: 22,825
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
What was the production date of your pump? The pumps built Jan 07 and later are the revised ones. Note: Many 07 build cars may have the old fuel pump.
March 07 was the production date of the vehicle.
Ray is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
therealm3
Major
 
Drives: F30 335 Msport, E70 35i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CA, USA

Posts: 1,013
iTrader: (6)

I only use Chevron 91 and have ~7k miles on a 10/06 build with only minor running issues. It sputters a bit on start up and at stop lights when warmed up, but no long cranking or failed HPFP.
therealm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
Orient330iNYC
Major
 
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wall St

Posts: 1,337
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
March 07 was the production date of the vehicle.
what plant was your car produced in?
__________________
Past: 2001 Orientblue E46 330i
Past: 2004 S60R 6MT
Past: 2007 E90 335i 6MT
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP, BMW Performance Kit, BMW Performance Exhaust
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Orient330iNYC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
 
AoshichanX's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Claremont, CA

Posts: 3,103
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via ICQ to AoshichanX Send a message via AIM to AoshichanX Send a message via MSN to AoshichanX Send a message via Yahoo to AoshichanX Send a message via Skype™ to AoshichanX
When I switched from Shell to Chevron, I got the service engine light after a day or two.

Lol...service tech told me it was the gas cap issue. BUT mine was on there tight, although airing it out did apparently solve the problem.
AoshichanX is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST