E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Rattling Sound Under Car

12-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
schan
Enlisted Member

Drives: 328 sport pkg wht/blk

Metallic Rattling Sound Under Car

The mettalic sound use to be intermittent, but now it happens on Park, Neutral or Drive. Has nothing to do with temperature but its louder when its warmed up on idle.

Since I can hear it on P, I opened the hood but more than certain is not from there. The sound its not the Hydraulic Valve Lifter (HVA) which is my ticking sound but sounds like a empty cook can with marbles and pennies shaking in it.

The sound sounds like its coming from right in the center of the vehicle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lzgib0zch...-22%201238.wav

I captured the sound and put it in my drop box. Can you guys provide input?

Thanks!

btw, took it to dealer they say they cant replicate the sound to turn me away.
      12-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
schan
Enlisted Member

anyone?
      12-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
WilliamS
GoofBall

Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Sounds like exhaust rattle up against something? You dont have a 335 so you dont have the wastegates or exahust valve. Ill bet money the exhaust is hitting something somewhere under there. Double check all the hangers and if its aftermarket check the fitment against the body
WilliamS is offline   United_States
      12-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
SFSebas

Drives: 2013 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan View Post
The mettalic sound use to be intermittent, but now it happens on Park, Neutral or Drive. Has nothing to do with temperature but its louder when its warmed up on idle.

Since I can hear it on P, I opened the hood but more than certain is not from there. The sound its not the Hydraulic Valve Lifter (HVA) which is my ticking sound but sounds like a empty cook can with marbles and pennies shaking in it.

Thanks!

I had the same issue. It was the catalytic converter and it was replaced for free under the 4 year warranty.

The issue was that the interior of the converter rusted resulting in loose metal chunks making noise inside the converter. After 3 complaints, they finally removed the converter and were able to confirm the source of the rattle.

Hope this helps!
SFSebas is offline   United_States
      12-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
schan
Enlisted Member

Thanks. Ill take it in to the dealer to check again. Last time they said they can replicate the noise, but the noise is much more frequent, soo...hopefully they can do something about it
      04-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
TheBingoBalls
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E90 325i, R56 MINI Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan View Post

Thanks!

Thought I'd reply to this thread because the same thing happened to me and it was an extremely simple fix and figured if anyone else got the same problem, it would save them the time and trouble to go to the dealership to get it fixed.

There's a metal bar (exhaust support, part no. 18207533441) that sits directly above the exhaust/catalytic converter. That metallic sound you hear when idle is the exhaust pipe/catalytic converter hitting the metal bar from vibrating. All you need to do is lift the front of the car and you can easily see exhaust pipe/catalytic converter in the middle but on the passenger side, and adjust the metal bar that's sitting on top of it. It's bolted but you can try to bend it enough so it's not touching but not enough to do any damage.
TheBingoBalls is offline   Canada