E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need new brakes soon

09-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
MAK2008
Private

Drives: 2011 335xi coupe blk/red int

Need new brakes soon

Took my car into the dealer yesterday and they told me I'm almost due for new brakes (in a few thousand miles). My car has 46k miles on it and they were trying to sell me on a $2100 extended service plan which I guess would cover the cost of new brakes when they are needed.

My question is, should I get the service plan and replacement OEM brakes or should I go with something aftermarket?

I have a 2011 335xdrive coupe.

I've never tracked the car even though I've been planning on it for 3 years

I have a JB4 in it but no other mods other than aftermarket wheels and non run flats (which I just got... kinda squishy).

Can someone point me to a list of good aftermarket brakes? Costs would be very helpful too.

Thanks in advance.
      09-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
MAK2008
Private

OK, new question

ok, so I've been reading on here for a while and I have a new question.

Is it possible to improve braking performane without sacrificing on noise and dust?

I don't think I want to shell out for a BBK so what are my options?
      09-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
"Brakes" - just the pads, or pads and rotors?

$2,100 in either situation is a complete rip-off. Of course the dealer is trying to upsell you; extended service plans are as close to pure profit as it gets for them.

I'd suggest buying the parts (pads, rotors and sensors) and having them installed by an independent shop that specializes in BMWs. Check your regional forum for shop recommendations (http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49). www.getbmwparts.com has fair prices for OEM parts.
Alternatively you could do the labor yourself if you're handy with tools, there are a couple DIY's on this forum that are easy to follow.

If you haven't had your brake fluid changed, I'd recommend having that done at the same time; brake fluid loses a good portion of its effectiveness after ~2 years or so. Get BMW OEM fluid.

(P.S. - the braking system is limited by the tires; the stock brakes are enough to engage ABS. In other words, the car will stop no faster with a BBK - laws of physics. A BBK would be beneficial in high performance driving because it delivers more consistent performance as the brakes get hot. Not worth the insane investment IMO.)
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is offline   United_States
      09-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
MAK2008
Private

Thanks for the info, that's what I'll do. Oh and the service guy told me they don't resurface rotors and by the look of the lip on the rotor, I'll have to replace rotors as well as pads.

I guess I'll just go with OEM replacements at an indy shop. I was trying to find a replacement kit that looked cooler than OEM, but I don't need any weird noises or unexpected behavior with my brakes. They stop as well as I've ever needed.
      09-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Spitfire007
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I've gone with aftermarket brakes on a lot of different cars.

The best replacements on BMWs were always stock OEM parts. Always.
Everything else either didn't bite well enough, would warp rotors within 1500 miles, or just plain not give me the results I wanted.
Just go OEM, and be done with it.
      09-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Smooth 330i
Captain

Drives: Sleepy 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK2008 View Post
Took my car into the dealer yesterday and they told me I'm almost due for new brakes (in a few thousand miles). My car has 46k miles on it and they were trying to sell me on a $2100 extended service plan which I guess would cover the cost of new brakes when they are needed.

My question is, should I get the service plan and replacement OEM brakes or should I go with something aftermarket?

I have a 2011 335xdrive coupe.

I've never tracked the car even though I've been planning on it for 3 years

I have a JB4 in it but no other mods other than aftermarket wheels and non run flats (which I just got... kinda squishy).

Can someone point me to a list of good aftermarket brakes? Costs would be very helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

The one rotor that you can consider is from Z4 35is, direct replacement. It is lighter than 335i rotor and works excellent with OEM pads.

You can also consider replacing your brake lines with SS. The SS lines will improve brake feel as they don't expand as much. Of course, they will not impact stopping distance for better or worse.

I would stay away from after market parts. Many folks on this forum go with low quality parts that look cool only to have brake issues. Then they end up spending double the $$$ to fix it. Do it once the right way and be done with it. Brakes are the most important part of your car besides tires.

GL

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner