Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > third generation RFT?? Any experience

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

04-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
stl2chi

Drives: 2006 e90 330xi

third generation RFT?? Any experience

I found these listed on Tirerack.com today...

Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position

Any one had a chance to test them out? Wondering if indeed there is a difference in the "3G" RFT

Thought?
      04-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Well, it's impossible that they could be any worse!
      04-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
chowser51
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive

Crap, if I had known these were coming out, I would've bought them.

You can be our guinea pig !

here's an excerpt about them:

Rounding out the group of new products, the Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT incorporates Bridgestone's third-generation run-flat technology (3G RFT), which contributes to improved ride comfort over previous run-flat tires. By adding 3G RFT technology to the RE960AS PP, Bridgestone can now offer a proven All Season Performance tire to owners of many of today's most popular Run-Flat equipped vehicles. Third-generation RFT technology combines Cooling Fins and NanoPro-Tech Sidewall reinforced rubber compound to control heat build up, especially when a tire is underinflated. The technology also allows for a reduction in overall tire mass and sidewall stiffness, resulting in improved ride comfort, lower rolling resistance, and improved wear versus the previous generation run-flat tire. For the first-time ever, Bridgestone will also offer a 40,000 limited tread wear warranty for a run-flat tire with the RE960AS Pole Position RFT. The first 9 sizes, fitting many of today's popular RFT equipped vehicles, will be launched throughout the year.

All three of the above product offerings come with a 30-day buy and try guarantee as well as Bridgestone's Platinum Pact three-year replacement limited warranty.
chowser51 is offline   United_States
      04-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Gary@TireRack

Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT is the first (and so far only) third generation (3G) run flat of Bridgestone tires to hit the US market in 3 series sizes.

Although we haven't tested them yet, Bridgestone claims they ride much better than older generation run flat tires. The RE960 A/S *non* run flat tire is an outstanding all season tire so I would expect the same out of the run flat version. If you need all season in a run flat design in 16" or 17", this should be the tire of choice.

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...e+Position+RFT
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&url=index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary' as your previous contact when you order online.

Last edited by Gary@TireRack; 04-19-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Gary@TireRack is offline   United_States
      04-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
stockm3
Enlisted Member

Drives: E91 328i

10 miles so far

Hey I just thought I'd chime in...I just got these installed tonight. I am coming from the stock RE050 run flats. Although I prefer summer tires rather than all season (especially since i have dedicated winters), I didn't want to always be freaking out about getting the winters on too late or taking them off early (it's our family car).

Anyways, so far so good - they are a very very definite improvement. Ride comfort is significantly better!! I wouldn't say that they are just like regular tires, but they are very close.

Will comment more later on if they prove to be different than what the tire rack and other reviews say. BTW tire rack go them to my door w/i 3 days, and I was able to get the $75 rebate on them!!
      04-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Right off the bat they are lying: thery are the same weight az RE50s, 28 lbs front, 30 lbs rear, how is that less than previous generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Crap, if I had known these were coming out, I would've bought them.

You can be our guinea pig !

here's an excerpt about them:

Rounding out the group of new products, the Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT incorporates Bridgestone's third-generation run-flat technology (3G RFT), which contributes to improved ride comfort over previous run-flat tires. By adding 3G RFT technology to the RE960AS PP, Bridgestone can now offer a proven All Season Performance tire to owners of many of today's most popular Run-Flat equipped vehicles. Third-generation RFT technology combines Cooling Fins and NanoPro-Tech Sidewall reinforced rubber compound to control heat build up, especially when a tire is underinflated. The technology also allows for a reduction in overall tire mass and sidewall stiffness, resulting in improved ride comfort, lower rolling resistance, and improved wear versus the previous generation run-flat tire. For the first-time ever, Bridgestone will also offer a 40,000 limited tread wear warranty for a run-flat tire with the RE960AS Pole Position RFT. The first 9 sizes, fitting many of today's popular RFT equipped vehicles, will be launched throughout the year.

All three of the above product offerings come with a 30-day buy and try guarantee as well as Bridgestone's Platinum Pact three-year replacement limited warranty.
      04-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
bmw-nj
Captain

Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport

Just hearing the initials RFT makes me sick.
bmw-nj is offline   United_States
      04-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
roadkillrob
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i

I will never buy a bridgeston RFT again - just had my replaced due to cupping at 11k miles and went with Michelin PS2's still RFT, but the difference is night and day, so much better ride and handeling, RE50A's are just junk tires in my book, maybe the 60's are better, but after the Michelin's for a couple of weeks, they are well worth the premium.

2008 E93 335i, GIAC Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1
roadkillrob is offline   United_States
      05-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
Rickstir
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 335xI Couple

I have two questions .....First I have a 2009, 335i X drive and sport suspension, with OEM Bridgestones Turanza's RFT's, 225 45 R17's. The car/tires have 24,000 miles on them. The front driver side sidewall has broken open from a pothole.

I called local tire store and they said I need to replace all 4 because the car is AWD. Is that correct or is the tire store trying to sell me 4 tires versus one or two ?

Run flat options, Checking tirerack.com it appears I have two options,
Bridgestone RE960 pole position, and Pirelli Pzero Nero. Any one have any preferences ? I've never owned a Pirelli tire before, but on my other vehicles I typically use Bridgestone and I've been very happy, but of course those are not run flats !
Rickstir is offline   United_States
      05-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
stockm3
Enlisted Member

Drives: E91 328i

Hopefully not a poor choice

I had re050 rft's and they sucked. People would complain about how rough the ride was - in a bmw that supposed to have nice handling. Anyways - the RE960as rft's have a 40,000 mile warranty. To be honest I have no idea what that means but I think if they are problematic like the 1st gen were, I'll be covered (hopefully). These tires are a superior ride but they are also an All Season.

I have no experience with the pirellis, but would be curious to know too.
      12-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
hyp0luxa
Registered

Drives: 2007 328i Stock

I just got these installed on my '07 328, and they are a huge improvement over the ContiProContact SSR's. Quieter, better grip and steering and braking response, not as harsh over bumps. Hopefully I will get more tread life out of them too. I'll report again once I get to test them in the rain, and at high (120+) speed.
      12-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Gary@TireRack

Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyp0luxa View Post
I just got these installed on my '07 328, and they are a huge improvement over the ContiProContact SSR's. Quieter, better grip and steering and braking response, not as harsh over bumps. Hopefully I will get more tread life out of them too. I'll report again once I get to test them in the rain, and at high (120+) speed.
Thank you for the first hand review!

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&url=index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary' as your previous contact when you order online.
Gary@TireRack is offline   United_States
      12-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Tom K.
Major General

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyp0luxa View Post
Good to hear as I'm considering these when replacements are due on my E91.

Could you also take an extended trip to New England this winter so that you can report on the snow & ice performance?

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States