E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Mixing automatic transmission oil

12-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
carogers86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Mixing automatic transmission oil

Going to perform the 100k auto trans. service. Saw some great DIY. There are three transmission oils that work for the ZF tranny service. I believe my trans oil is factory fill. Can I mix trans oil e.g. (Use the redline trans oil that meets the requirements). Even of there might still be some of the factory fill oil in the trans?

I'm going to change the pan and filter.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep

Drives: E93 335 Vert E36 M3/4

If you do let me know how it comes out. There are only two fluids I know of that actually work in the ZF hp19-21 transmission in our 6 spds Lifeguard 6 and Mercon SP.
Read the warning on this site that sells the LG6
http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...id=10&parent=0

I sent new samples to Blackstone of both LG6 and Mercon SP and the analysis came back that with the exception of different colors and smells it looked like they came from the same batch of ATF.

I am not experimenting with my transmission to save a few bucks especially when Mercon SP is only 5.99 a qt at O'Reilly's.

It could well be that Redline is compatable but I want to verify that not take the word of a company that sells lubricants unless they provide proof.

I would not mix Redline with either Mercon SP or LG6 given how expensive a new transmission is...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
carogers86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

I googled "DIY" for e92 auto transmission service and a lengthy and detailed write up from bimmerpost came up. The guy was performing on his 135i. He had info showing that a specific redline oil met the requirements. The whole transmission service pack sold was the cheapest going with redline. Sounded good because I have heard they make pretty good oils.

Might just go Mercon if it sounds to shady.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
blingman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 3er

I used pentosin ATF and no problems here. Forgot when i did it but its been couple months and still shift smooth.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep

Drives: E93 335 Vert E36 M3/4

Pentosin ATF1 is close to both LG6 and Mercon SP so is Esso LT 71141. However it is not what ZF recommends for the ZF HP19-21 6 spd. I have both Pentosin and Esso which is what is spec'ed for the ZF 5spd in my M3's.

As cheap as Mercon SP is it makes no sense to me to use something that has not been 3rd party analyzed and compare those results again both Mercon SP and LG6.

Other synthetic ATFs might work just fine but I for one am not into experimentation when known fluids work well. Typically ZF transmissions do not take well to ATFs other than what ZF has spec'ed. The only reason we get a better deal on Mercon SP is that ZF built many transmissions for Ford and Mercon SP is pretty much LG6 with a few slight changes...
Appreciate 0