E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > EASY DIY ALCANTARA-ish TRIM/CENTER CONSOLE/STEERING WHEEL REWRAP

02-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
Quinnhogue7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

EASY DIY ALCANTARA-ish TRIM/CENTER CONSOLE/STEERING WHEEL REWRAP

**FIRST ATTEMPT AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MISHAPS OR NEGATIVE OUTCOMES.**

Okey doke guys, not sure about you but I have always been a fan of the alcanatara or cloth and leather interior combinations on most European e30/36/46. So, while searching the old interweb one late night I stumbled upon the new "///M Performance"'alcantara or suede material interior pieces for the newer f-chassis. Searched to see if anyone had a similar trim or re-trim service to be offered. After not finding much, I did see a couple of custom jobs that had motivated me enough to run out to Jo-Ann's fabrics and give it a whirl!

I've wrapped my trim and center console in carbon fiber prior to this so I know, and you should know, that popping out the trim is very easy.

You will need:
1.)Suede/alcantara-ish fabric or any material you like for that matter
2.)An interior trim popper or flat head/butter knife, I recommend interior popper
3.)Scissors
4.)Spray andhesive, I used the LOCTITE PROFFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE
5.)A T10 and T25 I believe for i-drive consoles and the air vents on main trim
6.) Preferrably a fresh box cutter to cut any excess

STEPS FOR CNETER MAIN TRIM PIECE

-So grab your interior popper and get in the car, I would say for the main trim with the vents, start in between The center to vents and the furthest right then, basically above the glove compartment.

-Pry away carefully but don't be afraid to use some for us as they are held in by simple slide pins.

-Once you get it to pry completely off you will have to unplug two separate connectors, one for your hazard lights and one for your traction control. They will be in between the two main vents.

CENTER CONSOLE STEPS

-For the center console most people, especially if this is the first time this has been popped up and out in a while, start by pulling on the front on the shift boot or using the trim tool to pop the boot or automatic plastic surround up.

-Next, FOR AUTOMATOC CARS, put the key in the on position (2 pushes on the push start), put the shifter in NEUTRAL, and while pushing the gear selector button on the knob it self, pull up with all your might and the gear selector will pop off.

-Then from inside the center console where the boot was push up and the console will start to pop up, unplug your gear selector plug, i-drive plug and your cigarette light plug.

All other trim pieces like the vent to the left of the steering wheel, Follow same instructions with interior trim popper tool.

YOU SHOULD HAVE ALL PIECES YOU WOULD LIKE TO WRAP OUT OF THE CAR, CLEANED, AND NECESSARY ELECTRICAL PARTS UNBOLTED WITH YOU TORX BITS (I-DRIVE, ASHTRAY, AND VENTS).

- From here you are going to want to spray with a healthy amount of andhesive, The Loctite stuff and most other brands work best when you spray a decent amount all over trim pieces and then wait about two minutes for it to dry and get tacky.

- Next, cut enough material to lay over each piece accordingly and have enough to be able to fold over the edge with about an inch of material.

- Now, for all areas where you will have to reinstall something like the shift boots or i-drive, what I did was first cut an X with the box cutter blade and trimmed it accordingly. What you want to make sure to do though is to have at least a centimeter of overhang where you can fold over and then reinsert parts.

- I did this once with a cheaper, thicker material that wasn't thin enough for me to pop the parts back so at the edge I just made the cuts exactly with no overhang and it looked like crap.

SO MAKE SURE TO GET A THINNER MATERIAL AND AGAIN BE HEALTHY ON THE ANDHESIVE, YOU CAN SMOOTH OT OUT AFTER MATERIAL IS LAYED OVER IT.

Hope this helps some people, i've seen a bunch of DIY's for vinyling trim pieces, never a suede or franbric type material! Any questions or anyone that gives it a shot, post them up!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:03 AM   #2
dt20011
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Sweet, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0