E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > [UK] I have a Eisenmann Race Exhaust - Questions on further mods...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-17-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
xEnVii
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i E93
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Manchester, UK

iTrader: (0)

[UK] I have a Eisenmann Race Exhaust - Questions on further mods...

I wanted to ask,

I have a Eisenmann Race Back Box on the car, what can I do to get a bit of extra sound without failing MOT?

Is there an option to delete the CAT or something?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
Tr1ppy
Private First Class
Tr1ppy's Avatar
5
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: E93 330i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North West, UK

iTrader: (0)

Sorry for going off-topic but where did you get the eisenmann exhaust from? And how does it sound?

My understanding re: cats is that you need to have them on in order to help the car pass emission tests. However there are many people online who have them removed but still pass MOT, not sure if thats due to them having a "friendly" MOT centre though
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
6IX-F10-N52
Captain
Canada
87
Rep
909
Posts

Drives: 2011 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ppy View Post
Sorry for going off-topic but where did you get the eisenmann exhaust from? And how does it sound?

My understanding re: cats is that you need to have them on in order to help the car pass emission tests. However there are many people online who have them removed but still pass MOT, not sure if thats due to them having a "friendly" MOT centre though
highly recommend you go for a secondary cat delete at any local muffler shop if you are looking for more sound. Ive done this and was very pleased with the results about 500km in, once the ECU fully adjusted. next step, you can upgrade the muffler. I think it is unnecessary to install a full cat-back exhaust because our stock piping design is actually quite good from the factory.. was very pleased with how the stock muffler sounded like once i removed the secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
xEnVii
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i E93
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Manchester, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ppy View Post
Sorry for going off-topic but where did you get the eisenmann exhaust from? And how does it sound?

My understanding re: cats is that you need to have them on in order to help the car pass emission tests. However there are many people online who have them removed but still pass MOT, not sure if thats due to them having a "friendly" MOT centre though

I got mine fitted from Graham Martin Automotive,

http://grahammartinautomotive.co.uk/

Sounds amazing, I've also got the BMW Performance Carbon Air Intake too at the front,

Amazing deep bass but also screams when you rev it, its not a "cheap" knock off noise that cars can make but a controlled, angry noise!

Ah ok, thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2016, 02:00 AM   #5
xEnVii
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i E93
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Manchester, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
highly recommend you go for a secondary cat delete at any local muffler shop if you are looking for more sound. Ive done this and was very pleased with the results about 500km in, once the ECU fully adjusted. next step, you can upgrade the muffler. I think it is unnecessary to install a full cat-back exhaust because our stock piping design is actually quite good from the factory.. was very pleased with how the stock muffler sounded like once i removed the secondary cats.
Thank you for the advice!

I will call the garage today and explore my options for a secondary cat delete!

Any options on the upgraded muffler you could recommend?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
6IX-F10-N52
Captain
Canada
87
Rep
909
Posts

Drives: 2011 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xEnVii View Post
Thank you for the advice!

I will call the garage today and explore my options for a secondary cat delete!

Any options on the upgraded muffler you could recommend?

Thanks!
Eisenmann, Remus mufflers sound awesome. I like the performance exhaust muffler sound as well. I recommend you delete the secondary cats and finish the ECU adjustment process so you have an idea of what your exhaust sounds like with the stock muffler, you will be surprised! you wont get the full sound as soon as you have them removed.. for the first 100 miles, you cannot do any full throttle at all. after the 100 mile period, for the next 200 miles subject your car to all types of driving positions. take it on the highway, city, fluctuate the rpms (revs to 2,3,4,5, etc.) and not to mention full throttle pulls, where you will be seeing most of your gains. throttle response will improve, not to mention the engine note coming from where you sit is AMAZING. I dont even want to change my stock muffler (for now) because it actually sounds good! 300 miles of ECU adjusting later, you will get the full sound. from there, you can start to pick a muffler. my next plan is to eventually install supersprint headers and leave the muffler stock. this wont attract attention at low revs, but opens up and sounds great when you rev her out. the gains are much better then a muffler/catback too. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #7
sleepysnake
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2005 330i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worcester

iTrader: (0)

Your car is already secondary catless if it has the N52 engine. EU market cars only have cats in the manifold.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 09:28 PM   #8
6IX-F10-N52
Captain
Canada
87
Rep
909
Posts

Drives: 2011 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepysnake View Post
Your car is already secondary catless if it has the N52 engine. EU market cars only have cats in the manifold.
My N52 equipped f10 had secondary cats in place. the resonator resided underneath the rear passengers. My understanding is that not all the N52/N51 engines have their secondary cats. but Im pretty sure most of them do. I know mine did - I deleted them
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
Phil325i
Lieutenant Colonel
Phil325i's Avatar
United Kingdom
77
Rep
1,957
Posts

Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK South East

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
my next plan is to eventually install supersprint headers and leave the muffler stock.
Sadly this is not an option for the OP, as Supersprint headers are for LHD cars only.
__________________
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
Ruddigger
Major
Ruddigger's Avatar
386
Rep
1,228
Posts

Drives: 2012 E91
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
My N52 equipped f10 had secondary cats in place. the resonator resided underneath the rear passengers. My understanding is that not all the N52/N51 engines have their secondary cats. but Im pretty sure most of them do. I know mine did - I deleted them
You aren't in Europe.
__________________
My build thread.
It's a wagon with stuff on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
6IX-F10-N52
Captain
Canada
87
Rep
909
Posts

Drives: 2011 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger View Post
You aren't in Europe.
European models dont have the sec. cats? i was told somewhere that they do?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #12
tdavis42
Lieutenant
tdavis42's Avatar
61
Rep
475
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 328i ZSP AT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
European models dont have the sec. cats? i was told somewhere that they do?
Do you get paid for each cat removal that's done or something? Is there a secret society that advocates for second cat removal and you are the spokes head? Not trying to be mean but man you think this is the answer to everyone's question. We are a friendly and some very knowledgeable bunch but you need to read more before you post.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #13
Eagle1oh7
Major
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
1,229
Posts

Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA

iTrader: (0)

If you have a full Eisenmann exhaust you don't have to worry about secondaries. Just buy headers.
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers
FUTURE MODS: BPC Stage 2, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Custom Airbox
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #14
xEnVii
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i E93
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Manchester, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
If you have a full Eisenmann exhaust you don't have to worry about secondaries. Just buy headers.
Eisenmann only make the back box for my car, apprently the garage that fitted it can also get hold of a Supersprint pipe from the Manifold to the back box, or something along those lines, so will confirm for me on Monday.

Apologies but I am a complete novice when it comes to these sorts of things!

What exactly do the headers & mufflers do and what benefits do the upgrades do?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST