E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > [UK] I have a Eisenmann Race Exhaust - Questions on further mods...

11-17-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
xEnVii
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i E93

[UK] I have a Eisenmann Race Exhaust - Questions on further mods...

I wanted to ask,

I have a Eisenmann Race Back Box on the car, what can I do to get a bit of extra sound without failing MOT?

Is there an option to delete the CAT or something?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
Tr1ppy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 330i M Sport

Sorry for going off-topic but where did you get the eisenmann exhaust from? And how does it sound?

My understanding re: cats is that you need to have them on in order to help the car pass emission tests. However there are many people online who have them removed but still pass MOT, not sure if thats due to them having a "friendly" MOT centre though
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
6IX-F10-N52
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i N52

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ppy View Post
Sorry for going off-topic but where did you get the eisenmann exhaust from? And how does it sound?

My understanding re: cats is that you need to have them on in order to help the car pass emission tests. However there are many people online who have them removed but still pass MOT, not sure if thats due to them having a "friendly" MOT centre though
highly recommend you go for a secondary cat delete at any local muffler shop if you are looking for more sound. Ive done this and was very pleased with the results about 500km in, once the ECU fully adjusted. next step, you can upgrade the muffler. I think it is unnecessary to install a full cat-back exhaust because our stock piping design is actually quite good from the factory.. was very pleased with how the stock muffler sounded like once i removed the secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
xEnVii
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ppy View Post

I got mine fitted from Graham Martin Automotive,

http://grahammartinautomotive.co.uk/

Sounds amazing, I've also got the BMW Performance Carbon Air Intake too at the front,

Amazing deep bass but also screams when you rev it, its not a "cheap" knock off noise that cars can make but a controlled, angry noise!

Ah ok, thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2016, 02:00 AM   #5
xEnVii
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
highly recommend you go for a secondary cat delete at any local muffler shop if you are looking for more sound. Ive done this and was very pleased with the results about 500km in, once the ECU fully adjusted. next step, you can upgrade the muffler. I think it is unnecessary to install a full cat-back exhaust because our stock piping design is actually quite good from the factory.. was very pleased with how the stock muffler sounded like once i removed the secondary cats.
Thank you for the advice!

I will call the garage today and explore my options for a secondary cat delete!

Any options on the upgraded muffler you could recommend?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
6IX-F10-N52
Captain
Canada
Rep

Muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xEnVii View Post
Thank you for the advice!

I will call the garage today and explore my options for a secondary cat delete!

Any options on the upgraded muffler you could recommend?

Thanks!
Eisenmann, Remus mufflers sound awesome. I like the performance exhaust muffler sound as well. I recommend you delete the secondary cats and finish the ECU adjustment process so you have an idea of what your exhaust sounds like with the stock muffler, you will be surprised! you wont get the full sound as soon as you have them removed.. for the first 100 miles, you cannot do any full throttle at all. after the 100 mile period, for the next 200 miles subject your car to all types of driving positions. take it on the highway, city, fluctuate the rpms (revs to 2,3,4,5, etc.) and not to mention full throttle pulls, where you will be seeing most of your gains. throttle response will improve, not to mention the engine note coming from where you sit is AMAZING. I dont even want to change my stock muffler (for now) because it actually sounds good! 300 miles of ECU adjusting later, you will get the full sound. from there, you can start to pick a muffler. my next plan is to eventually install supersprint headers and leave the muffler stock. this wont attract attention at low revs, but opens up and sounds great when you rev her out. the gains are much better then a muffler/catback too. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #7
sleepysnake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i

Your car is already secondary catless if it has the N52 engine. EU market cars only have cats in the manifold.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 09:28 PM   #8
6IX-F10-N52
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepysnake View Post
Your car is already secondary catless if it has the N52 engine. EU market cars only have cats in the manifold.
My N52 equipped f10 had secondary cats in place. the resonator resided underneath the rear passengers. My understanding is that not all the N52/N51 engines have their secondary cats. but Im pretty sure most of them do. I know mine did - I deleted them
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
Phil325i
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
my next plan is to eventually install supersprint headers and leave the muffler stock.
Sadly this is not an option for the OP, as Supersprint headers are for LHD cars only.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
Ruddigger
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91

Quote:
My N52 equipped f10 had secondary cats in place. the resonator resided underneath the rear passengers. My understanding is that not all the N52/N51 engines have their secondary cats. but Im pretty sure most of them do. I know mine did - I deleted them
You aren't in Europe.
      11-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
6IX-F10-N52
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger View Post
You aren't in Europe.
European models dont have the sec. cats? i was told somewhere that they do?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #12
tdavis42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i ZSP AT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
European models dont have the sec. cats? i was told somewhere that they do?
Do you get paid for each cat removal that's done or something? Is there a secret society that advocates for second cat removal and you are the spokes head? Not trying to be mean but man you think this is the answer to everyone's question. We are a friendly and some very knowledgeable bunch but you need to read more before you post.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #13
Eagle1oh7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

If you have a full Eisenmann exhaust you don't have to worry about secondaries. Just buy headers.
      11-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #14
xEnVii
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
If you have a full Eisenmann exhaust you don't have to worry about secondaries. Just buy headers.
Eisenmann only make the back box for my car, apprently the garage that fitted it can also get hold of a Supersprint pipe from the Manifold to the back box, or something along those lines, so will confirm for me on Monday.

Apologies but I am a complete novice when it comes to these sorts of things!

What exactly do the headers & mufflers do and what benefits do the upgrades do?
Appreciate 0