E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dealer service issue

12-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
BoostaVita
Private First Class

Drives: 08 335xi

Dealer service issue

Hi all, while i was at the dealer for water pump and thermostat replacement, they notice my trans fluid is leaking and recommend replacing trans pan gasket and mechatronic sleeve. I follow their advice and have the service done around 2 weeks ago. After getting the car back, I still notice leak on the floor. Today I jack the car up and sure enough the tranny is till leaking. I am now really frustrated and want to know how i can present this issue to the dealer in an effective way so they would know the severity of my concern (slightly angered). I really tried to avoid the dealer and diy as much as I can to avoid issue like this. Now my nightmare has come true. (no one care about your car as much as you do). Please, any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful christmas everyone!!
      12-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
CUTigers
Captain

Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [5.00]
2008 e90 335i  [4.50]
Go talk to them in person and tell them they didnt fix the problem you paid them to do and ask them to fix it.

I took my car in for one of the free oil changes and maint, they did oil, brake flush, wipers, and cabin filter. I get home, realize they chipped the crap out of my rear bumper with someting. Go back, tell them i need it fixed, I didnt do that. Didnt hear from them for 5 days, so I finally did the BMW NA survey i was holding off on. Gave them terrible scores, within an hour the dealer was calling me to fix my problem. 4 days after dropping it off to get my rear bumper repainted, I go to start it(this past friday), super rough idle, and SES light on. Go back inside throw my keys back to them and said you broke my car again, i need my 2013 X3 loaner back and for them to fix it. Idk if they were joyriding in my tuned 335 or what. Ill check the miles when i get it back.

They take the BMW NA surveys serious. Do those and if you still arent satisified call BMW NA. I never yelled at them or anything about my bumper or enigne problem. Just pointed out that it was broke under your control and I want it fixed to how it was when I dropped it off... In your case, you paid to have work done, and in 2 weeks time that work has already failed.
CUTigers is offline   United_States
      12-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Wolf 335
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335i

First call Head Office and make a complaint, then go back to the dealer and complain there.

And yes the surveys do scare them. So make sure you give them a bad score and also fill in the comment section.
Wolf 335 is offline   Canada
      12-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
BoostaVita
Private First Class

Thanks for all the info. When I look at the transmission today, it was still leaking from the same spot. I am really leaning towards that they didn't even bother to do the work. It's experience like this that drive me to DIY eventhough I can afford to pay for services. Any additional info or experience to share would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
      12-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot

Drives: E90 335i & C6 Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossimo View Post
Thanks for all the info. When I look at the transmission today, it was still leaking from the same spot. I am really leaning towards that they didn't even bother to do the work. It's experience like this that drive me to DIY eventhough I can afford to pay for services. Any additional info or experience to share would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
It's probably the plastic transmission pan itself leaking. For warranty repairs like this, BMW always instructs to change just the sleeve and pan gasket, as that is usually the cause. Sometimes the pan itself does have a leak, though, and it can be hard to tell where exactly it's coming from.

On higher mileage cars (out of warranty), I always recommend doing the pan with the sleeve. Because it's plastic, but also because the transmission filters are built into the pan. Good insurance to protect the life of your trans in my opinion.

I doubt they didn't do the repair they said they did -- probably just misdiagnosed the main issue. Tell them you'll pay for the part and that you expect the labor to be free as they just had the pan off the car.
      12-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot

Drives: E90 335i & C6 Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTigers View Post
4 days after dropping it off to get my rear bumper repainted, I go to start it(this past friday), super rough idle, and SES light on. Go back inside throw my keys back to them and said you broke my car again, i need my 2013 X3 loaner back and for them to fix it. Idk if they were joyriding in my tuned 335 or what. Ill check the miles when i get it back.
I know you had a bad experience, but blaming the shop for a SES light issue when the car was only there for body work is going a little bit far -- especially on a car like the 335i that's known to not be always 100% reliable. I'm a huge car enthusiast, but also have been a BMW Technician a long time, so I see things from both sides.

Maybe it's a lack of technical understanding (no offense intended), but even if someone went out and took your car for a "spirited" drive, it shouldn't cause that issue. These cars were designed for the Autobahn and are meant to be driven hard. Sounds like the notorious N54 injector failure.... probably just a coincidence.
      12-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
litz4244
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTigers View Post
4 days after dropping it off to get my rear bumper repainted, I go to start it(this past friday), super rough idle, and SES light on. Go back inside throw my keys back to them and said you broke my car again, i need my 2013 X3 loaner back and for them to fix it. Idk if they were joyriding in my tuned 335 or what. Ill check the miles when i get it back.
I know you had a bad experience, but blaming the shop for a SES light issue when the car was only there for body work is going a little bit far -- especially on a car like the 335i that's known to not be always 100% reliable. I'm a huge car enthusiast, but also have been a BMW Technician a long time, so I see things from both sides.

Maybe it's a lack of technical understanding (no offense intended), but even if someone went out and took your car for a "spirited" drive, it shouldn't cause that issue. These cars were designed for the Autobahn and are meant to be driven hard. Sounds like the notorious N54 injector failure.... probably just a coincidence.
+2 coincidences happen all the time. Plus there are plenty of better cars they would probably joy ride over a tune only 335.

07 335 fbo and meth and rb turbos 470whp 460wtq 17psi 11.7@124 full weight sold.
      12-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
CUTigers
Captain

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [5.00]
2008 e90 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post

You act like I went in there yelling and screaming. I just went back inside and said its messed up and I need my loaner back. Am I supposed to just offer the $600 to fix it when I didnt even have it for the previous week? and I assume its just one of the 3 common misfire problems, but I didnt mess with it since it was already at the dealer. Iv also had problems with my wiper arms and headlight on seperate occasions that were caused by the dealer and they tried to say it was me when they were the only people that touched the faulty parts. They also wouldnt even reaim my headlight after they knocked it out of wack and was aimed low in the passenger side while they said that as normal... I spent so much time in the service dept for a while. Guess I just have a biased relationship with the dealer and stuff going wrong. My bad

Last edited by CUTigers; 12-26-2012 at 03:38 PM.
      12-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
CUTigers
Captain

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [5.00]
2008 e90 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by litz4244 View Post
+2 coincidences happen all the time. Plus there are plenty of better cars they would probably joy ride over a tune only 335.
I know. My friends that are bmw techs are so bored with Ms after working on and driving them all day.

Last edited by CUTigers; 12-26-2012 at 03:33 PM.
      12-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
BoostaVita
Private First Class

Update: It is as BMWM.D. said they found a hairline crack on the PLASTIC trans pan. Here's the main lesson I learned. SA make or break your experience. The original SA was rude and condecending. I have never feel this bad as a customer in my life. She wanted me to wait 1 week to come in while the trans is emptying itself out as we speak because of the misdiagnosis. I then call and ask for the service manager. I was told he was away and asked to speak to a SA in charge temporarily in place of him. The experience instantly turns wonderful. He was knowledgeable, reasonable, and experienced. He ask me to come in anytime I want to have the car checked out and diagnosed the issue even before the tech. Offered the repair as a goodwill put me on a loaner and took care of everything. Sorry everyone long post. Don't settle for a SA that's unprofessional and rude. Change to one that care about your car's well being instead of just treating it like a money making rolling metal box. Thanks everyone.