E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > dct and throttle response question

04-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #23
mblaucoupe135
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefoster
Now I'm scared. Lease is ending on my 335 manual and my IS/DCT is in production. Was expecting a little loss of total control, but this hesitation crap has me worried. Did I make a mistake?

SteveF
Naw you'll be fine. There's some great things about the dct and I'm starting to get used to the hesitation and some of the weird things it does here and there. I just think it was a really tough transition for me cause I had been driving manuals for so many years.
      04-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #24
luisalbertoga
Enlisted Member

Drives: bmw 330d

not sure I understand the problem... it seems like we are speaking about two different things here...

- if you are stopped at a light, the car has a function in AT that will engage the brakes for a second to help you move the feet form the brake to the gas pedal, and make sure the car doesn't go anywhere (like down in a steep hill) in between. So it is normal to have a second there where the car is not moving...

Now, I don't remember having any issue with pressing down the gas pedal in a traffic light to make sure I am the first one and able to switch lanes easily as soon as the light is green.

Another thing related to this is the fact the 3 series has the "soft-stop" which eases the pressure on the brake pedal to make the car get to a nice soft stop in a traffic light... personally it drove me crazy at the beginning... as I liked to do that myself... but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

- the second thing about the kick-down and pre kick-down in the gas pedal... the car takes about 0.5 secs to launch itself forward when you press it to the floor... I simply adapted to it. I will turn on the blinkers to pass a truck at the same time I go for the gas pedal and floored it. By the time I am on the other lane the car would take off (literally). It is a different way of thinking... Wouldn't be the first time I had to about the pass and return to my lane before the car downshifts 2 or 3 gears and launches itself... I kind of like it... I like to drive with anticipation, so it is not a problem for me...

Hope this helps...
      04-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #25
taffyjason

Drives: Black E92 M3 Manual

No, my issue is pedal depressed and NOTHING happens for 1-2 seconds, it mostly happens when at a full stop after coasting.

Car is going in to get the latest software as i have an older set up, from my research this helps dramatically.
      05-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
taffyjason

Drives: Black E92 M3 Manual

I've had it re-programmed, its a different gearbox, sport mode now makes it sportier, even in 'D' mode. However rolling up to a junction and stopping still seems to give a slight delay when trying to set off, but i think i know how to get around it.

When coming to a halt manually select 1st gear with the paddles and the hesitation seems to go, so i can only guess that the box isnt selecting 1st by itself quickly in that circumstance.

It does feel much more responsive though in general, even scared me a little when i floored it past a truck...with the first genuine smile of my ownership
      05-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #27
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
So i have a 335is with dct. Overall i love the car, but one thing that annoys me at times is that there seems to be a bit of hesitation in the throttle/tranny in certain situations. For instance, i notice it the most when i am rolling up to a light and i shift down to second or even first and the light turns green before i come to complete stop. At this point i get back on the throttle, but the car hesitates for a second or two before taking off. I was just wondering if this is normal and if there is anything that can be done to fix it? I suppose it's even more noticeable to me because I've been driving manuals for the past 20+ years and they don't seem to have this problem. Any thoughts or insights on this would be appreciated.
It's not just DCT- mine does the same shit. Pretty annoying.
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
      05-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
mblaucoupe135
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyjason
I've had it re-programmed, its a different gearbox, sport mode now makes it sportier, even in 'D' mode. However rolling up to a junction and stopping still seems to give a slight delay when trying to set off, but i think i know how to get around it.

When coming to a halt manually select 1st gear with the paddles and the hesitation seems to go, so i can only guess that the box isnt selecting 1st by itself quickly in that circumstance.

It does feel much more responsive though in general, even scared me a little when i floored it past a truck...with the first genuine smile of my ownership
I asked my dealer about this when my car was in last week and they said there's no new programming available for the DCT.
      05-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #29
igatron

Drives: 335i

My 335i DCT has the same problem. Slow down to very low speeds then apply some throttle...nothing for a couple of seconds and then loads of acceleration! Could be a very dangerous problem. It nearly always happens on speed bumps, this should help you picture the kind of situation that makes it happen. I took the car in to BMW, even though the mechanic there admitted there was a problem they later said it was "a normal characteristic of the car."

Does anyone know how I can check if I have the latest software version?
      05-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #30
GB-335xiCoupe
Captain

Drives: 2011 335xi Coupe (E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by igatron View Post
"a normal characteristic of the car."
CLASSIC!!!!

I occasionally have this problem with my 2011 335xi. I just use the Vishnu to reset the ECU/DCT and it's all good. Seems to go away when I change maps too.

Fail(s): tstat housing @89k
GB-335xiCoupe is offline   United_States
+1