E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Brightest D1S



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
287
Posts

 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA

iTrader: (3)

Brightest D1S

I feel the stock E92 335i D1S bulbs are simply not bright enough. I have adjusted the lights up and down (up to the point that it was illuminating small cars interiors) before and it doesn't make a difference. They simply are not bright enough especially now that it is raining out. My moms IS350 blows these lights away.

I did some research and there are quite a few recommendations for the Osram Cool Blue 5000k. Is this the brightest? Unfortunately it is hard to find a bulb comparison with wattage/lumens. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
UndergroundEuros
Banned
19
Rep
1,222
Posts

 
Drives: 335I Alphina White
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (9)

We carry a great d1s bulb, all our customers are very happy.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Cure12
Private First Class
Cure12's Avatar
Trinidad_and_tobago
1
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****************
We carry a great d1s bulb, all our customers are very happy.
+1
__________________
///Mods: COBB (Stage 1+ Aggressive), ER CP, Helix FMIC, Dinan FFE, LTBMW MSport Lip, BMS N55 Intake, LED Interior Lights, HPB LED Angel Eyes, 6000K HID Fogs, CF Wrapped Interior Trim, 35%Tint, P3 Vent Guage...///
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
Chrispy650's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
495
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SoCal (Irvine)

iTrader: (2)

I have the Osram CBI 5000k and they are awesome . Then again BMW projectors aren't the greatest either so a different bulb won't help a whole lot but you can see a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
rollinstone157
Brotographer
rollinstone157's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,701
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Go for an OEM manufacturer bulb if you want brighter. None of the aftermarket bulbs will be as bright (there's an incredibly detailed thread on hidplanet.com discussing this)

Like someone else mentioned, we don't have the best projectors in our cars--but they're far from crap. Give them a clear lens upgrade (available from theretrofitsource.com, I believe the $50 zkw-r lens is what you want) for a nicer cutoff line and a slight increase in light output

I've done a lot of research and the CBI is the brightest D1S bulb you can get. It puts out 3200-3400 lumens since it uses a different salt mix to get 5000k rather than a tint, and it appears much brighter due to the whiter color. Some equipment has measured those bulbs putting out closer to 4000 lumens, but I need to verify that testing method (and if the ballasts were boosted or not).

Expensive, yes. But so worth it. Get them from theretrofitsource.com I think they have the best price and they're definitely not counterfeit
__________________
Reviews -|- HPB "Ultimate" LED Interior Kit -|- Noyka Cornering Bulbs -|- HPB 20W AE [OLD] -|- LUX H8 V4 -|- New Reviews Pending Vendor Approval
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
NiVeDh
Major General
NiVeDh's Avatar
United_States
158
Rep
8,014
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (132)

Garage List
Osram CBI for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
VTECaddict's Avatar
47
Rep
4,625
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA

iTrader: (4)

+1 on Osram CBI. OEM bulbs should be close to max lumen output though. It's just that the projectors BMW uses are garbage.

Lexus (and other Japanese cars) uses Stanley projectors and they are arguably the best in terms of output.
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR | OEM Blacklines | M-tech rear | custom dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | BMW Performance rep spoiler
Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Spydeputy's Avatar
Germany
49
Rep
3,211
Posts

 
Drives: 2012,E92,335is/2008,E90,335xi
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harford County, Maryland

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
2012 335is  [1.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Spydeputy
Phillips Ultron D1S 6K

Phillips Ultron D1S 6000K is the way to go.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-D1S-...-/140735781840


Quote:
Originally Posted by ign335i View Post
I feel the stock E92 335i D1S bulbs are simply not bright enough. I have adjusted the lights up and down (up to the point that it was illuminating small cars interiors) before and it doesn't make a difference. They simply are not bright enough especially now that it is raining out. My moms IS350 blows these lights away.

I did some research and there are quite a few recommendations for the Osram Cool Blue 5000k. Is this the brightest? Unfortunately it is hard to find a bulb comparison with wattage/lumens. Thanks guys.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2012, E92, 335is, Space Metal Gray, DINAN Stage 2, Helix FMIC, M Sport Pkg, Dbl Spoke 313 Wheels, Gray & Blk Leather, Conv. Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Prem Pkg, 7 Sp DCT, Navigation, Satellite / Harman Kardon Radio.
BMW CCA Member

Last edited by Spydeputy; 12-24-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #9
cyrano
Banned
Poland
2
Rep
145
Posts

 
Drives: E61 530XD chipped
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Poland

iTrader: (0)

Actually in EU we have a lot of bulb tests in automotive newspapers and in tv motor shows.
Actually the brightest d1s on market are :

- D1s Silverstar xenarc http://www.motivemods.com/OSRAM-Silv...osr-ss-d1s.htm

-D1S philips xtreme http://www.autolamps-online.com/prod...etCurrencyId=2

First is a bit yellowish its 4200k second one is 4800k pure white
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
156
Rep
10,681
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

I got 6000k Xenoflo D1S bulbs a few months ago from Bimmian, had the dealer pop em in.
I get more compliments and even had the SAs from another dealer asking me where I got my Xenons from.
They're fantastic, and still going strong!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
156
Rep
10,681
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy
Phillips Ultron D1S 6000K is the way to go.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-D1S-...-/140735781840


Quote:
Originally Posted by ign335i View Post
I feel the stock E92 335i D1S bulbs are simply not bright enough. I have adjusted the lights up and down (up to the point that it was illuminating small cars interiors) before and it doesn't make a difference. They simply are not bright enough especially now that it is raining out. My moms IS350 blows these lights away.

I did some research and there are quite a few recommendations for the Osram Cool Blue 5000k. Is this the brightest? Unfortunately it is hard to find a bulb comparison with wattage/lumens. Thanks guys.
If I could find an AUTHENTIC set of those elusive Philips Ultinons with the red salts, I'd snatch em up in a heartbeat.
But alas, I could not- hence my decision to go with the flo.
No regrets really.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST