E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > LPFP Tech info



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #111
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 14,692
iTrader: (87)

Test results are in and very interesting. I'll let others who are more familiar with fuel systems argue over the results but I'll be sticking with the single Walbro E85 pump for my car.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
0
      01-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #112
Dmacc
Colonel
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 2,637
iTrader: (1)

What I gathered from the data was that the FFTEC series of pumps flows 6% more than the walbro DIY with the factory Venturi in place, but because it draws more amps and puts more stress on the electrical system, it also heats up the fuel more, right? Also the DIY without the Venturi in place flows more than the series of pumps, but is not ideal when you get to low amounts of fuel.

If all of the above is true, one question I have is if you were running twin walbro pumps like example 6, wouldn't the extra voltage required to run the pumps cause even more heating of the fuel?

Good data showing the differences between many set ups, thank you for performing these tests.
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Dmacc is offline  
0
      01-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #113
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 287
iTrader: (3)

Wow, big surprise, the results are basically what I said they would be. So you can put a small restrictor on the venturi and outflow the FFTEC setup for 1/3 the cost and half the amperage. No brainer here. If you need more flow at 72psi and two pumps the best setup is PARALLEL. This is exactly why the past 5 pages have been requests for test results and not someone's misunderstanding of series and parallel pumps.

Lets see those "lab results" now....
ign335i is offline  
0
      01-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #114
Dmacc
Colonel
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 2,637
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ign335i View Post
Wow, big surprise, the results are basically what I said they would be. So you can put a small restrictor on the venturi and outflow the FFTEC setup for 1/3 the cost and half the amperage. No brainer here. If you need more flow at 72psi and two pumps the best setup is PARALLEL. This is exactly why the past 5 pages have been requests for test results and not someone's misunderstanding of series and parallel pumps.

Lets see those "lab results" now....
I am confused. Are you saying that option 5 in the tests is a viable option? Just need some clarification.
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Dmacc is offline  
0
      01-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #115
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 287
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
I am confused. Are you saying that option 5 in the tests is a viable option? Just need some clarification.
Terry ran it that way and you can too, but potentially when the tank is very very low there COULD be higher potential for the pump to starve. If you look at how much flow the venture sucks up, its really excessive to fill the fuel pump bucket. If you put a small restriction on he venture you could easily still fill the bucket without having such a large drop in fuel flow. Either the E85 alone or E85 with venture will work to be honest. Venture in place is ideal, but it really doesn't need to be flowing as much as it does. Also, it should be noted either the FFTEC or E85 pump with Venturi will max out the HPFP, so really any of these solutions won't be the limit. At $400 less though, the Walbro is looking awfully attractive.
ign335i is offline  
0
      01-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #116
Dmacc
Colonel
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 2,637
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ign335i View Post
Terry ran it that way and you can too, but potentially when the tank is very very low there COULD be higher potential for the pump to starve. If you look at how much flow the venture sucks up, its really excessive to fill the fuel pump bucket. If you put a small restriction on he venture you could easily still fill the bucket without having such a large drop in fuel flow. Either the E85 alone or E85 with venture will work to be honest. Venture in place is ideal, but it really doesn't need to be flowing as much as it does. Also, it should be noted either the FFTEC or E85 pump with Venturi will max out the HPFP, so really any of these solutions won't be the limit. At $400 less though, the Walbro is looking awfully attractive.
Thank you for the reply and the explanation, it helped my understanding of the different options.
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Dmacc is offline  
0
      01-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #117
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
 
Ferruccio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Posts: 315
iTrader: (0)

Based on the test results and the current it demands, I'll probably just go with a Walbro E85 pump replacement instead of the in-line solution. Plus, it's DIY and I have all the tools.
Ferruccio is offline   United_States
0
      01-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #118
michael1284
Colonel
 
michael1284's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 AW E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DFW

Posts: 2,470
iTrader: (40)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Based on the test results and the current it demands, I'll probably just go with a Walbro E85 pump replacement instead of the in-line solution. Plus, it's DIY and I have all the tools.
1/3 the price too.
__________________
RIP e92. New project is ALIVE!

Updated Pics!

michael1284 is offline  
0
      01-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #119
-StanceCity-
Major
 
-StanceCity-'s Avatar
 
Drives: love to piss on fucker's face
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: are you that fucker? lol

Posts: 1,319
iTrader: (1)

Vishnu/FFTEC fanboi gonna be mad...lol
-StanceCity- is offline  
0
      01-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #120
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 287
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Octane View Post
Vishnu/FFTEC fanboi gonna be mad...lol
I know, where is Wedge? This is an awkward week for this thread. Lol.
ign335i is offline  
0
      01-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #121
BX TT3
MAAD HEAD
 
BX TT3's Avatar
 
Drives: Sex on 19 inch Wheels
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,053
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
08 BMW X5 4.8 (Wife)  [0.00]
07 525xi  [0.00]
07 335i  [4.63]
So in essence doesn't this negate the need for the flash also? Maybe not the sensor but you wouldnn't need the flash any more to raise the ceiling because the pumps are now able to keep up with the demand
__________________

Dinan S2 & JB4 G5, Spearco IC & Up pipe, RR-DP, BMS Dual Air Intake, Forge Diverter Valves, P3 Vent Boost Gauge, Custom Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMS OCC, JIC Cross Coils, M3 Front & Rear suspension upgrade, Meyle HD tie Rods
Turbo Upgrade Next...
BX TT3 is offline   No_Country
0
      01-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #122
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 287
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX TT3 View Post
So in essence doesn't this negate the need for the flash also? Maybe not the sensor but you wouldnn't need the flash any more to raise the ceiling because the pumps are now able to keep up with the demand
No, these are two separate things. There are three main limits at this time:

ECU - flash needed to add more fuel past a certain point (40-50%+ E85 or larger turbos)
LPFP - Need more low pressure for greater than 60% E85 on stock turbos, large turbos, or over about 500hp on pump without meth.
HPFP - Need more HPFP capacity past ~520rw-550rw at 60% E85 no meth

The first limit is usually the ECU followed by LPFP and then HPFP.
ign335i is offline  
0
      01-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #123
BX TT3
MAAD HEAD
 
BX TT3's Avatar
 
Drives: Sex on 19 inch Wheels
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,053
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
08 BMW X5 4.8 (Wife)  [0.00]
07 525xi  [0.00]
07 335i  [4.63]
so it wouldnt make sense for me to upgrade my pump until i get the flash
__________________

Dinan S2 & JB4 G5, Spearco IC & Up pipe, RR-DP, BMS Dual Air Intake, Forge Diverter Valves, P3 Vent Boost Gauge, Custom Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMS OCC, JIC Cross Coils, M3 Front & Rear suspension upgrade, Meyle HD tie Rods
Turbo Upgrade Next...
BX TT3 is offline   No_Country
0
      01-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #124
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 287
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX TT3 View Post
So in essence doesn't this negate the need for the flash also? Maybe not the sensor but you wouldnn't need the flash any more to raise the ceiling because the pumps are now able to keep up with the demand
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX TT3 View Post
so it wouldnt make sense for me to upgrade my pump until i get the flash
Correct.
ign335i is offline  
0
      01-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #125
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 1,896
iTrader: (0)

Is vishnu Still in Business?

I have to get a log up but I'm running the 9/10 maps, stg3. I'm fbo but only see about 14psi in the midrange tapering to 11 at redline no matter the gear. The start ign is set to 30 and the only way to get boost to increase is to change that to 60 or 70.

Anyone have any input since I'm not having much luck from the vishnu camp.
pits200 is offline   United_States
0
      01-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #126
SassyMcSass
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

The silence here speaks volumes.
SassyMcSass is offline  
0
      01-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #127
jyeah
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 192
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyMcSass View Post
The silence here speaks volumes.
I don't think the silence here means anything to be honest. I doubt he checks the forums everyday.
jyeah is offline  
0
      01-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #128
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 287
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeah View Post
I don't think the silence here means anything to be honest. I doubt he checks the forums everyday.
You mean never, right? This is his thread.

Last edited by ign335i; 01-19-2013 at 02:28 AM.
ign335i is offline  
0
      01-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #129
The Ghost
Reborn
 
The Ghost's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 1,101
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
I have to get a log up but I'm running the 9/10 maps, stg3. I'm fbo but only see about 14psi in the midrange tapering to 11 at redline no matter the gear. The start ign is set to 30 and the only way to get boost to increase is to change that to 60 or 70.

Anyone have any input since I'm not having much luck from the vishnu camp.
Did you call them? I called last week and they picked-up immediately.
The Ghost is offline   United_States
0
      01-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #130
trbolexis
Private
 
Drives: Lexus IS300
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

.... this is incredible .... lol. .
trbolexis is offline  
0
      01-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #131
BigBoosting
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09' M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Savannah

Posts: 349
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
Did you call them? I called last week and they picked-up immediately.
Every time I call the first thing out of their mouths is "email us", then no reply.
BigBoosting is offline  
0
      01-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #132
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 287
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbolexis View Post
.... this is incredible .... lol. .
Still waiting for Wedge and the team to post up their lab results to clarify the meaning of this data. We talked for like 2 pages about series vs parallel pumps.
ign335i is offline  
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST