E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > How to get more power from my 2006 330xi



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
lancegroff
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

How to get more power from my 2006 330xi

I have a perfect condition 2006 BMW 330xi 6speed. It is completely stock, I am looking for ways to get as much power out of the car as possible without breaking myself or adding mods that are going to cause problems down the road. Do you have any recommendations of companies to use? I was thinking exhaust, intake, and ECM tuning. If there is anything else you can think of or can lead me down the right path with good companies I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Smooth 330i
Major
Smooth 330i's Avatar
17
Rep
1,066
Posts

 
Drives: Sleepy 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancegroff View Post
I have a perfect condition 2006 BMW 330xi 6speed. It is completely stock, I am looking for ways to get as much power out of the car as possible without breaking myself or adding mods that are going to cause problems down the road. Do you have any recommendations of companies to use? I was thinking exhaust, intake, and ECM tuning. If there is anything else you can think of or can lead me down the right path with good companies I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
This is what I have and it xformed the car. I had to upgrade suspension and brakes.

1. Dinan TB, CAI, exhaust - quality mods and parts (I know some would disagree but unless you see and feel it comments don't apply). Also, these mods decrease weight.
2. AA tune - a must, but get your CAI first.

Other mods to consider:
suspension, brakes, LSD and of course light wheels and tires will give you more power by decreasing weight.


Hope this helps
__________________

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
jc5988
Lieutenant
6
Rep
439
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT Sport Pkg
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SOCAL

iTrader: (0)

lightweight flywheel/clutch/Clutch delay valve, u might need it sooner or later so its pretty good investment there. plus an ecu tune and intake you will be good to go. exhaust probably wont gave you that much since 330i has more free flow setup already.
__________________
N51- Perfomance Intake - Performance Exhaust - ESS Tuned - Performance SSK - CDV Delete - AFE Mid
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
flinchy
Colonel
39
Rep
2,865
Posts

 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988
lightweight flywheel/clutch/Clutch delay valve, u might need it sooner or later so its pretty good investment there. plus an ecu tune and intake you will be good to go. exhaust probably wont gave you that much since 330i has more free flow setup already.
Nah 330 has either the same or slightly worse than 130i (265hp)

Twin 2" pipes (2 cats) into a single 2.5" with res and muffler, with a crush at the diff

So basically the smallest part is around 2.35" or so (tiny!!)

The muffler isn't too bad, mine at least has a solid growl to it stock, but certainly has restriction

Can't forget the utterly shocking header design

But for the price of all these mods, you can probably come close to a wrecked 335i/135i and tune.

As much as i'd love to wring out all i can from this awesome engine, $1k headers, $500-$1k tune, $1k-$2k exhaust, $500 intake.. $100 o2 sim.. $5k total including labour say.. And you'd probably be nudging a tad over 300hp (which is fine). For me the total would be closer to $6k with import taxes on headers and exhaust, and shipping etc. (anything over $1k)

But $3.5k for an n54 and accessories
couple $k in labour, $500 jb4.. And you're over 400hp with potential for 500+ for not much more
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Rival
Lieutenant
8
Rep
451
Posts

 
Drives: 95 z28
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: shytown

iTrader: (0)

aa stg 2 tune, 2nd cat delete, charcol delete + k/n filter. tough to beat the gains for the $$ you need to pay
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Volasko
Major
Volasko's Avatar
Canada
22
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
^^

This, plus scoops (50 bucks at most) and then you will see some niceish gains
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
e90drvr
Private
United_States
0
Rep
62
Posts

 
Drives: Graphite/Terra 330i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

what's stg 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post
aa stg 2 tune...
I understand the aa tune to be the DME software upgrade from Active Autowerke, right? What does stage 2 include?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
slammy_daniels
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

supercharger!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Volasko
Major
Volasko's Avatar
Canada
22
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90drvr View Post
I understand the aa tune to be the DME software upgrade from Active Autowerke, right? What does stage 2 include?

Thanks.
People (including me) call it the stage 2 tune because at the time they came out with it, it was a newer version to their original offering. If you were to get an ECU tune by AA you would automatically get this version. Stage two does not mean any other bolt-ons.

For the money if you are looking for best gains for your $$ on a stock 330i N52 get an AA tune and a less restrictive intake (charcoal deleate + K&N or euro intake) which should get you an honest +12 HP/TQ. Then if you want even more go cat-less headers for another 12-15 HP/TQ, problem is you will be LOUD!

The only real gains out of an exhaust is hacking out the CATs and the sweet sound you get!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Rotorocious
Major
Rotorocious's Avatar
32
Rep
1,461
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Has anyone actually Dynod 300 Whp?
Seems optimistic
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768726


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Has anyone actually Dynod 300 Whp?
Seems optimistic
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

If you go full cat delete/ race pipes but are concerned of the loudness, id suggest some ultra highflow cats with a resonator or 2 and a turbo muffler. Turbo mufflers are all the gains without the sounds. Although id have to say, its a lot quieter than my taste, its very close to stock but I have yet to hear it on a race set up.
Basic bolt ons with tune is the best way to not destroy your bank. But then again that's all you can really do without going forced induction. I've been searching for these answers for a while. If you want serious hp then you'd need to get a different motor (sucks to say but it is true) our n52s won't see anything over 350 whp even with major building such as micro port and polish throughout the exhaust and intake ports w/ custom fabricated parts.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
N0OS3
Colonel
N0OS3's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
2,220
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oak Harbor, WA

iTrader: (5)

Get a Methanol Kit... +5mpg, +10hp, cleans your engine. No downsides unless you get your car ECU tuned for higher octane and run your tank empty (does nothing adverse if you don't get it tuned). ^__^ Stage 3 kits run ~$800, stage 1 and 2 cheaper obviously.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #14
mapleridge
Banned
43
Rep
2,681
Posts

 
Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (4)

mispost

Last edited by mapleridge; 11-25-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #15
///M3NACE
Banned
///M3NACE's Avatar
60
Rep
3,907
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downers Grove, IL

iTrader: (5)

Get a 335i...lol
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #16
Amini77
Brigadier General
Amini77's Avatar
United_States
62
Rep
4,605
Posts

 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Everyone basically said it

-Catless headers
-Charcoal delete + K&N drop in. Or a euro box. CAI (Injen, AFE, etc.) would be a waste of $ since its NA engine
-Exhaust (better flow + it would be lighter compared to stock)
-Air scoops
-Lighter material (wheels, tires, trunk, hood, roof, seats, etc. anything really)
-Lighter flywheel since you have a MT
-Clutch
-AA stg 2 tune
That's all you can pretty much all you can do that's simple. I have the same car as you but all I have so far is the K&N drop in shits expensive lol but make sure to do the tune after all the performance mods so the tune adjusts to it all.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
N0OS3
Colonel
N0OS3's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
2,220
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oak Harbor, WA

iTrader: (5)

btw, meth kits are SUPER easy install... typical installation can be done in about 2 hours for the common-sense-savvy person.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #18
MidLifeCrisis330Xi
Enlisted Member
MidLifeCrisis330Xi's Avatar
0
Rep
43
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330Xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
but make sure to do the tune after all the performance mods so the tune adjusts to it all.
so if i'm gonna do the charcoal delete and K&N drop in, I should do that before getting the AA tune? Can you explain to me how the tune "adjusts" to these mods? Do I need to tell AA that the mods have been done so that they can do the tune properly or does it somehow dynamically adjust? And what if say, I do the charcoal delete + K&N drop in, then get the AA tune, then later on decide to do something with the exhaust? Do I have to have it re-tuned? thanks for your help...
__________________

_______2006 BMW E90 330xi_______
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #19
Amini77
Brigadier General
Amini77's Avatar
United_States
62
Rep
4,605
Posts

 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis330Xi View Post
so if i'm gonna do the charcoal delete and K&N drop in, I should do that before getting the AA tune? Can you explain to me how the tune "adjusts" to these mods? Do I need to tell AA that the mods have been done so that they can do the tune properly or does it somehow dynamically adjust? And what if say, I do the charcoal delete + K&N drop in, then get the AA tune, then later on decide to do something with the exhaust? Do I have to have it re-tuned? thanks for your help...
I suggest doing it before the AA tune but honestly I have no clue how it adjusts to it..I know a Shark Injector for E46's adjusts to mods done to your car (like catless headers, it has an option for that) But I have no idea how AA tune's work..I would call them up if you're going to get it soon..I don't plan on getting it until I'm done with the mods so let us all know how it works. As far as I've heard it just adjusts and gives you the most possible gains from what you already have
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #20
Munit
Banned
8
Rep
220
Posts

 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Most of the above is a waste of money. The dinan TB has shown time and again to lose power. Intakes do nothing.

-Drop in filter BMC
-catless headers
-lightweight wheels and tires (supersports)-can shave 10-15 pounds off each corner which makes a huge difference given it is rotational mass being lightened.

Tunes on these cars intakes and mufflers will really do nothing
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #21
MidLifeCrisis330Xi
Enlisted Member
MidLifeCrisis330Xi's Avatar
0
Rep
43
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330Xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
Tunes on these cars intakes and mufflers will really do nothing
Are you saying the AA Stage 2 tune does "nothing"??
__________________

_______2006 BMW E90 330xi_______
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #22
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Delta0311's Avatar
56
Rep
3,880
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Nah 330 has either the same or slightly worse than 130i (265hp)

Twin 2" pipes (2 cats) into a single 2.5" with res and muffler, with a crush at the diff

So basically the smallest part is around 2.35" or so (tiny!!)

The muffler isn't too bad, mine at least has a solid growl to it stock, but certainly has restriction

Can't forget the utterly shocking header design

But for the price of all these mods, you can probably come close to a wrecked 335i/135i and tune.

As much as i'd love to wring out all i can from this awesome engine, $1k headers, $500-$1k tune, $1k-$2k exhaust, $500 intake.. $100 o2 sim.. $5k total including labour say.. And you'd probably be nudging a tad over 300hp (which is fine). For me the total would be closer to $6k with import taxes on headers and exhaust, and shipping etc. (anything over $1k)

But $3.5k for an n54 and accessories
couple $k in labour, $500 jb4.. And you're over 400hp with potential for 500+ for not much more
No the US 330 has 255HP.
__________________
Space Gray 2011 335xi E92
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST