E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vargas Turbo Stage 2 / 3 update



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #133
redlineryder
knowledge > opinion
 
redlineryder's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 e90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London/Toronto

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Well if that is all you mean by a "kit" then sure, sub 5k kits are going to be out there, sooner the better. The basic FFTEC/V is $6.8k with more stuff. Get a chinese knock-off of their manifold and a cheaper turbo and decontent some and you're under 5k easy.

But in reality you need at least a basic tune, bigger IC, integrated meth system, exhaust, etc etc. before you even touch the rest of the car outside of the engine compartment.

When I think "kit" it means everything needed to covert stocker inside the EC up to where the downpipes meet stock exhaust, to functional use of extra air capacity without blowing up. No clutch or driveline mods. The e36 turbo kit I posted above is such a kit. A turbo, BOV, and manifold is not a kit. Likewise RB's are not a kit, neither are the coming stage 2/3 Vargas a kit. They are upgrades to one (major) component of an existing system. Upgrades I hope would definitely come in well under 5k. Two really big turbos and a well executed manifold, without fueling, IC, etc. who knows.

Two bigger turbos for 911 996TT are not really that expensive, for example. It's all the extra stuff to keep your $$$ german motor from slagging that racks up the major coin.
The e36 kit you posted is a full kit because the car is N/A, the expectation being the customer doesn't already have an intercooler or tune, meth etc. Since the N54 is turbocharged there is a large community that already has supporting mods to make basic kits like the FSR motorsports attractive, or any kit consisting of only a manifold, turbo, WG and downpipe.
redlineryder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #134
The Ghost
Reborn
 
The Ghost's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 1,065
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Well if that is all you mean by a "kit" then sure, sub 5k kits are going to be out there, sooner the better. The basic FFTEC/V is $6.8k with more stuff. Get a chinese knock-off of their manifold and a cheaper turbo and decontent some and you're under 5k easy.

But in reality you need at least a basic tune, bigger IC, integrated meth system, exhaust, etc etc. before you even touch the rest of the car outside of the engine compartment.

When I think "kit" it means everything needed to covert stocker inside the EC up to where the downpipes meet stock exhaust, to functional use of extra air capacity without blowing up. No clutch or driveline mods. The e36 turbo kit I posted above is such a kit. A turbo, BOV, and manifold is not a kit. Likewise RB's are not a kit, neither are the coming stage 2/3 Vargas a kit. They are upgrades to one (major) component of an existing system. Upgrades I hope would definitely come in well under 5k. Two really big turbos and a well executed manifold, without fueling, IC, etc. who knows.

Two bigger turbos for 911 996TT are not really that expensive, for example. It's all the extra stuff to keep your $$$ german motor from slagging that racks up the major coin.
The turbo in the FFTEC kit is $800-1200 depending in options, so no cheaper turbo needed.

I too look fwd to a similar $3k, 700-900whp kit like the one above. I mean, the manifold (and R&D to get it all to fit) and the tuning is the jewel.

Can't wait to Vargas stage 2&3.
The Ghost is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #135
ajsalida
Major
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlineryder View Post
The e36 kit you posted is a full kit because the car is N/A, the expectation being the customer doesn't already have an intercooler or tune, meth etc. Since the N54 is turbocharged there is a large community that already has supporting mods to make basic kits like the FSR motorsports attractive, or any kit consisting of only a manifold, turbo, WG and downpipe.
Yes I understand that, which is why I wanted to distinguish upgrades and kits. With the exception of the head gasket, the e36 kit is no different than a full kit for a big single requiring upgrades to all the stock pieces (IC, BOV's, DP's, etc.). This is just semantics but if people want to bitch and moan about cost of present kits it is important to compare apples to apples.
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #136
redlineryder
knowledge > opinion
 
redlineryder's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 e90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London/Toronto

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Yes I understand that, which is why I wanted to distinguish upgrades and kits. With the exception of the head gasket, the e36 kit is no different than a full kit for a big single requiring upgrades to all the stock pieces (IC, BOV's, DP's, etc.). This is just semantics but if people want to bitch and moan about cost of present kits it is important to compare apples to apples.
I agree, the total cost for the end product could be in the same price range. It goes without saying that having more 'upgrade' and 'kit' options is good for the community.
redlineryder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #137
ajsalida
Major
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlineryder View Post
It goes without saying that having more 'upgrade' and 'kit' options is good for the community.
Definitely. I would add, to support Carl's earlier point, that the cost for such upgrades/kits will go down over time as both the cost of the car lowers AND as the upper envelope of performance is pushed. For example as nice as 650WHP & barely into 10 sec 1/4's is, it is lame compared to supras GTR's and even tired old e36's pushing 1200WHP and beyond.

I guarantee you once folks open up the N54 and figure out how to get way past 1000WHP (and maybe into the 9's or even 8's) no one will pay over 10k for a measly 650WHP full kit.
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #138
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Once we can separate the hardware of the turbo kit (manifold, oil/water lines, turbo, intake pipe(s), wastegate, recirc + downpipe to stock DP exit locations) from the tune/fuel/other stuff neededthen we can start to commoditize the parts needed and get the prices down.

Has anybody tried to buy a hardware-only kit from FFTEC?

When Cobb can tune a single or twin turbo kit with external wastegates, then we will be in business.
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #139
TLO03
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E61
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT

Posts: 203
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
Nice i stand corrected..
TLO03 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #140
Vargasturbotech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Vargasturbotech's Avatar
 
Drives: N54
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 928
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Well if that is all you mean by a "kit" then sure, sub 5k kits are going to be out there, sooner the better. The basic FFTEC/V is $6.8k with more stuff. Get a chinese knock-off of their manifold and a cheaper turbo and decontent some and you're under 5k easy.

But in reality you need at least a basic tune, bigger IC, integrated meth system, exhaust, etc etc. before you even touch the rest of the car outside of the engine compartment.

When I think "kit" it means everything needed to covert stocker inside the EC up to where the downpipes meet stock exhaust, to functional use of extra air capacity without blowing up. No clutch or driveline mods. The e36 turbo kit I posted above is such a kit. A turbo, BOV, and manifold is not a kit. Likewise RB's are not a kit, neither are the coming stage 2/3 Vargas a kit. They are upgrades to one (major) component of an existing system. Upgrades I hope would definitely come in well under 5k. Two really big turbos and a well executed manifold, without fueling, IC, etc. who knows.

Two bigger turbos for 911 996TT are not really that expensive, for example. It's all the extra stuff to keep your $$$ german motor from slagging that racks up the major coin.
Completely disagree with your saying our stage 3 is not a kit. Our stage 3 is 100% a kit. 2 GT turbos, manifolds, downpipes, charge piping, all oil and water lines, intake piping / air filters, modified water piper, all hardware for installation and assembly. YES this is a kit, stage 2 not a kit. Bottom line and FFTEC, etc knows this too. If you are in the market for a single or our stage 3 kit. You are 99% already FBO with FMIC, and the rest. This is why we do not offer it. Keeps the price down and makes more sense.
Vargasturbotech is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #141
ajsalida
Major
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (2)

*sigh* I really don't care what people call it as long as it is clear what is included, and then when comparisons are made one can compare apples to apples.

edit: and then some effort is made to state what else is needed as supporting mods to run properly. Not that I agree with this, but on the "other" board some guy was whining about the FFTEC/Vishnu "kit" not having a SMFW & clutch with it. I mean come on.

Last edited by ajsalida; 01-03-2013 at 11:35 AM.
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #142
Vargasturbotech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Vargasturbotech's Avatar
 
Drives: N54
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 928
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
*sigh* I really don't care what people call it as long as it is clear what is included, and then when comparisons are made one can compare apples to apples.

edit: and then some effort is made to state what else is needed as supporting mods to run properly. Not that I agree with this, but on the "other" board some guy was whining about the FFTEC/Vishnu "kit" not having a SMFW & clutch with it. I mean come on.
Bottom line stating our stage 3 is not a kit is not a true statement. Stage 2 or any upgraded hybrid def not a kit. I'm sure you will pardon me for trying to make this clear after your statement. No ill intentions on either part.
Vargasturbotech is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #143
robc1976
DIYER
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,175
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Completely disagree with your saying our stage 3 is not a kit. Our stage 3 is 100% a kit. 2 GT turbos, manifolds, downpipes, charge piping, all oil and water lines, intake piping / air filters, modified water piper, all hardware for installation and assembly. YES this is a kit, stage 2 not a kit. Bottom line and FFTEC, etc knows this too. If you are in the market for a single or our stage 3 kit. You are 99% already FBO with FMIC, and the rest. This is why we do not offer it. Keeps the price down and makes more sense.
agreed, I waited until everything was in place before upgrading the tubs....should have one supension to lol!! You modified the water pipe? That's Impressive because I hate the POS lol!! Do you have a pic of it!!? I would love tossed this.

I agree, thisis a kit 100%
__________________
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, Meyle HD tie-rods, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport coilovers, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
robc1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #144
jpsimon
Team Zissou
 
jpsimon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 STi
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 8,999
iTrader: (4)

are people really arguing what is or is-not a "kit"?
__________________
2015 STi / 335xi (solid)
www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive data log viewing

jpsimon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #145
ajsalida
Major
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Bottom line stating our stage 3 is not a kit is not a true statement. Stage 2 or any upgraded hybrid def not a kit. I'm sure you will pardon me for trying to make this clear after your statement. No ill intentions on either part.
No that is fine, I appreciate the clarity. Will be in the market for an upgrade/kit later this year and very interested in all the various offerings.
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #146
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Bottom line stating our stage 3 is not a kit is not a true statement. Stage 2 or any upgraded hybrid def not a kit. I'm sure you will pardon me for trying to make this clear after your statement. No ill intentions on either part.
Tony will the stage 3 wastegates be controllable by the OEM boost control system? (i.e. Cobb)
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #147
spectacula
Second Lieutenant
 
spectacula's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: long island

Posts: 247
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
this would sell like sooooo fast if it was for the n54....whoever makes this will have a nice load of money
spectacula is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #148
ajsalida
Major
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
are people really arguing what is or is-not a "kit"?
It was -19 deg F at my house this AM, what else am I gonna do?
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #149
jpsimon
Team Zissou
 
jpsimon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 STi
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 8,999
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Tony will the stage 3 wastegates be controllable by the OEM boost control system? (i.e. Cobb)
yes
__________________
2015 STi / 335xi (solid)
www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive data log viewing

jpsimon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #150
Vargasturbotech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Vargasturbotech's Avatar
 
Drives: N54
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 928
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
agreed, I waited until everything was in place before upgrading the tubs....should have one supension to lol!! You modified the water pipe? That's Impressive because I hate the POS lol!! Do you have a pic of it!!? I would love tossed this.

I agree, thisis a kit 100%
Pipe is not finished yet. Finishing up the charge piping this week, then the final coolant pipe routing and button up a few things and install. Its so much harder to get things done on it now that we are back after the holidays. I get pulled in 20 directions. But I will work late all this week to get it done so I can focus on stage 2 when the parts arrive.
Vargasturbotech is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #151
MrRetep
I'll tongue punch your fartbox
 
MrRetep's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 335i E90
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine CA

Posts: 352
iTrader: (2)

This is looking amazing! Thanks for all your dedication and putting up with the "haters". Some of us greatly appreciate your innovation and hard work. Anyone can talk but you're the only one actually putting it into action. I can't wait to see the finished results.
MrRetep is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #152
turb0mike
First Lieutenant ///M killer
 
turb0mike's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i Racecar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 2,678
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [4.45]
Jeez people... Just wait until the kits are out. And even then we won't know the full tuning capabilities of these turbos compared to the RBs. Keep going Tony!!!
__________________

- turb0mike -
turb0mike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #153
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
 
Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany

Posts: 2,432
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Keep up the good work. This is interesting.

Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
Audi R8 V10; sold: BMW 335i
Alpina_B3_Lux is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #154
Jonjt
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

One thing I noticed about the big single is that the turbo can still breathe at high RPM, pushing peak HP up into the 7K rpm range (I believe). Is there any consensus on whether the stage 2 or stage 3 kits will be able to do the same?
Jonjt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST