E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil consumption... Reason for concern?

12-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
starbai
Captain

Drives: 09 335i Sedan

Hey guys,

Tonight I drove from Orlando to fort lauderdale. About 2/3 thru the trip, the oil light came on the info display. At first I was concerned about the heat (paranoid from posts I've read).

After scrolling thru the system check I noticed that the issue is the car saying it needs a quart of oil as the level was right on the minimum level.

I've only had the car about 6 weeks, purchased CPO so I dunno the last time it got an oil change though I'd assume it was done sometime shortly after I bought it. I've done about 2500 miles.

The car isn't leaking to the best of my knowledge as I havent seen any oil spots.

So the question is, since this is my first turbo car, do I have a reason for concern? Can I add my own oil or should I just take it to the dealer? It seems excessive to need a whole quart of oil to me as the instrument cluster says +1 QT.

Any suggestions on the best course of action and things to look for would be very appreciated!!

Ps... The car is bone stock except for some spacers and lux h8 led bulbs for the rings.
starbai is offline   Guyana
      12-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain

Drives: E92

Just add in a litre of oil .... Same weight and make of your existing oil.
      12-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT

I had a similiar thing occur to me 2 days after getting my car. I was concerned as it had just been serviced prior, but since i added a litre of 5w30 it has been fine for 4 months or so.

Talking to a few other n54 owners its common to add a quart every 6 months or so.