E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Pan Bolt Torque?

12-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
speedworks
Private

Drives: e90 TiAg 330i & SCCA SRF

Oil Pan Bolt Torque?

So, I have a had a few leaks showing up on the garage floor, so decided to see what is going on. Luckily, I have a lift. Took the floor pan off and noticed a very wet underneath. Went to check the bolts of the oil pan, and they are hand loose??? So, I am tightening them all - but would like to know the torques - anyone have them? Seems very strange to have these loose, anyone else ever experience this?
      12-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
jzchen
Captain

Drives: 335xi Sedan

I'm afraid no experience of this yet. But I would try to find the gasket and replace it if I were you. No use tightening bolts if the gasket has gone bad.

You might try Autozone, I just checked for my wife's 328i and they list one for it @ $36.99. You can compare this to dealer pricing just in case...
jzchen is offline   United_States
      12-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
speedworks
Private

Drives: e90 TiAg 330i & SCCA SRF

I am not sure it is the gasket yet. I tightened all of the bolts (all moved some), and am now driving, cleaning, and inspecting. Over the next few days, if it still shows any type of drips, I will then think about replacing. It looks like the gasket overlaps pretty good, and and I can feel it - and it feel pretty good (looks like new rubber). As I have only owned the car for a month, I am now thinking maybe this got replaced recently and wasn't properly tightened. I don't know. Again, I have a lift, so it is easy to drive, lift it up, inspect (and clean), and then decide what to do.
      12-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
hnekcivic
Private

Drives: 2007 328xi

samething happened to my car, any pics of oil leak ?
      01-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Abdi

Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
Can the oil pan gasket be replaced without removing the engine or the entire sub-frame?

I have some oil seeping out and I'm going to give it shot soon. I'll be doing some homework on this before I attempt it so hopefully we can get the OP's question answered.

1. Torque specs?
2. Torque pattern?

If I can get this sorted out successfully I will also try to put together a DIY for the forums.
      01-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Lagger1
Private First Class

Drives: valvetronic engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdi View Post
Can the oil pan gasket be replaced without removing the engine or the entire sub-frame?

I have some oil seeping out and I'm going to give it shot soon. I'll be doing some homework on this before I attempt it so hopefully we can get the OP's question answered.

1. Torque specs?
2. Torque pattern?

If I can get this sorted out successfully I will also try to put together a DIY for the forums.
I think there was a post of member who replaced gasket by dropping pan 2" & sneaking the new one in there, otherwise, there's lots of crap in the way.

Just finished hand tightening all pan bolts. The loose ones are obviously where seepage seemed to be occurring. I bought some RTV silicone as a temp fix, however, didn't seem necessary, gasket looked good. Helps to have a swivel u-joint & extension to reach the hard to get ones. GL

Lagger1 is offline   United_States