E90Post
 


jb4store
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Question for the vinyl wrapped crowd



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
AndyR83
Major
43

 
AndyR83's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i FBO
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA


Posts: 1,025
iTrader: (5)

Question for the vinyl wrapped crowd

I've been contemplating doing a full wrap on my E92. Right now I have my roof and window trim wrapped, but that's a far cry from doing the whole car.

Obviously, a full vehicle wrap will cost a few bucks. I don't really mind that, but it does bring to mind a few questions. I'd really like to hear directly from folks that have gone this route before so I can understand their experiences. I've read a few things online, but I'd feel much more confident in this decision if I heard from a few real people that have done it.

First, how do you wash the car? Just like normal? Use regular car wash soap and all? Can you use pressure washers? I would think not. Is it a pain to keep clean and looking good?

How well does the front bumper hold up? The front bumper on my car is, sadly, a bit chipped up from being driven for 50k miles. Is the vinyl going to hold up or will it be all torn and tattered/crappy looking from normal driving in a short length of time? I'm very paranoid about this one... would hate to spend the money only to have the front all torn up in a month.

What does the paint underneath look like when the vinyl wrap is removed? Am I in for a nasty surprise if I go to trade the car in some day and take the wrap off, only to find the paint is destroyed under there?

Finally, are there any other factors I'm not considering? Anything that makes owning/taking proper care of a vinyl wrapped car different than a painted one?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
AndyR83
Major
43

 
AndyR83's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i FBO
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA


Posts: 1,025
iTrader: (5)

Nobody? Hmm very well...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
N6CRB
Private
7

 
N6CRB's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i Alpinweiss E92
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bakersfield, Ca


Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

I'm surprised that no one has responded to this. I would like to know the answers myself.
__________________
Craig (He's just this IT & Voice Over guy.)
N6CRB
The technical difficulty originally scheduled for this time has been postponed - due to technical difficulties.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
17

 
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 1,119
iTrader: (7)

I'm curious as to the answers as well. I'm sure someone will chime in sooner or later.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
52

 
Turb0Surge's Avatar
 
Drives: BLACK e90 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lincoln, CA


Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (0)

bump +1
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
HTran
Pi Epsilon Pi
30

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas/Orange County


Posts: 884
iTrader: (1)

I wash mine with a pressure wash and regular soap. I air dry or use micro fibers. My bumper is holding well and I've been driving back and forth to Vegas a lot. It's easy to keep clean if it's matte. I used 3M and it's holding up well. I would assume my original paint is perfectly fine since 3M makes that's vinyl specifically for automotive wrapping.

Last edited by HTran; 01-02-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
will bleich
First Lieutenant
15

 
Drives: pos
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pennslyvania


Posts: 397
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83 View Post
I've been contemplating doing a full wrap on my E92. Right now I have my roof and window trim wrapped, but that's a far cry from doing the whole car.

Obviously, a full vehicle wrap will cost a few bucks. I don't really mind that, but it does bring to mind a few questions. I'd really like to hear directly from folks that have gone this route before so I can understand their experiences. I've read a few things online, but I'd feel much more confident in this decision if I heard from a few real people that have done it.

First, how do you wash the car? Just like normal? Use regular car wash soap and all? Can you use pressure washers? I would think not. Is it a pain to keep clean and looking good?

How well does the front bumper hold up? The front bumper on my car is, sadly, a bit chipped up from being driven for 50k miles. Is the vinyl going to hold up or will it be all torn and tattered/crappy looking from normal driving in a short length of time? I'm very paranoid about this one... would hate to spend the money only to have the front all torn up in a month.

What does the paint underneath look like when the vinyl wrap is removed? Am I in for a nasty surprise if I go to trade the car in some day and take the wrap off, only to find the paint is destroyed under there?

Finally, are there any other factors I'm not considering? Anything that makes owning/taking proper care of a vinyl wrapped car different than a painted one?
the paint will look just how it was when you put it on, it holds up good always ran vynal graphis on my mx bikes. call my buddy jace wade at impulsegraphx.com he does tons of full car wraps and hes super expierenced, and pretty local for us andy hes right by philly but located in nj
__________________
instagram @will_bleich

facebook will bleich
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
osteopathXI
Private First Class
United_States
3

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe E92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhode Island


Posts: 177
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTran
I wash mine with a pressure wash and regular soap. I air dry or use micro fibers. My bumper is holding well and I've been driving back and forth to Vegas a lot. It's easy to keep clean if it's matte. I used 3M and it's holding up well. I would assume my original paint is perfectly fine since 3M makes that's vinyl specifically for automotive wrapping.
It'll leave a little residue when you pull it off... nothing that rubbing EtOH can't remove.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
AndyR83
Major
43

 
AndyR83's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i FBO
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA


Posts: 1,025
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteopathXI View Post
It'll leave a little residue when you pull it off... nothing that rubbing EtOH can't remove.
Loving the etoh reference haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
osteopathXI
Private First Class
United_States
3

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe E92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhode Island


Posts: 177
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83 View Post
Loving the etoh reference haha.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST