E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Where does this wire go?

01-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #23
edirtaynine
Major General

Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
What is a KW v1? If it is an electronic device then try removing that wire and seeing if it still works.

As for the lo-jack, that may be it. Since it was put on by the dealer though I would discuss with them about their extremely crappy mechanics then. Do you have a way to see if lo-jack is working? If you do, like I said above, disconnect the wire and see if it still works.

And yes, you do need to register the battery. The car needs to know the age and type of battery that is installed in order to run properly. As a battery ages it produces less and less voltage. This will show up as faults in the various systems in the car if it doesn't know what to expect from the battery. The dealer should be able to register it for you. You can also find someone who can code and they can do it too.
kw v1 is a coilover setup... "KW" is the brand. "V1" is the coilover model. lol

jm3as hooks it up
      01-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #24
jwzimm
Captain

Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
kw v1 is a coilover setup... "KW" is the brand. "V1" is the coilover model. lol
Yeah, I am an idiot. That leaves the Lo-Jack. I would be surprised they wouldn't tap in somewhere else for that though. And again, that is one crappy installation.
jwzimm is offline   United_States
      01-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #25
rorkor
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '11 E90 N52 6MT

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [5.00]
2011 E90 328i  [5.00]
Lo-Jack usually taps the power in a discreet and random location on the 12v trunk cable in order to evade disconnect, if that is it, have it relocated.
      01-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #26
nycbr
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 TiAg 328xi

please let us know which indy shops had never heard of registering a battery so we can avoid them.
      01-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #27
crashoverride
Second Lieutenant

Drives: na

This thread is starting to become a soap opera the cable in question clearly is not factory and worse yet appears to be done by someone that shouldn't be allowed around cars.

Seems like Lo Jack is the most plausible. Seems like it would be easy to check with lo Jack the status of the tracking.

I wouldn't plug it back in until you find a reason to.

Registering the battery is a requirement many shops and stores have a warning on the computer when searching for the part and selling you a replacement battery clearly telling agent to not install the battery for the customer as the battery registration issue will result in a pissed off customer (well it doesn't say pissed off but...). Either the dealership or a BMW local independent shop that has the computers needed to reprogram or if you wish to look into and learn all about coding in the coding section on this site. (however you can brick your car the cable is $50.00+ and the software is a bitch to get to work)

Please reward our feedback by keeping us updated.
      01-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #28
xintrc

Drives: 335i

I unplugged it and I was "kinda" having problem with remote start. I couldn't remote start from a cold start, i had to insert the keyfob. But i was able to remote start after after a little bit of driving. I don't know if it's the wire or battery. I've been having issues with keyfob because the old dead battery and new "not-registered" battery thing. I'll plug the wire back in tomorrow and see if i can remote start from cold. I'm guessing the wire has something to do with Lo-Jack. I don't have Lo-Jack service anymore, I can't check.
      01-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #29
crashoverride
Second Lieutenant

Drives: na

Wait you have a remote starter on the car..... That's not factory?.... nor mentioned previously.
      01-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #30
JustinGTP
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xintrc View Post
I unplugged it and I was "kinda" having problem with remote start. I couldn't remote start from a cold start, i had to insert the keyfob. But i was able to remote start after after a little bit of driving. I don't know if it's the wire or battery. I've been having issues with keyfob because the old dead battery and new "not-registered" battery thing. I'll plug the wire back in tomorrow and see if i can remote start from cold. I'm guessing the wire has something to do with Lo-Jack. I don't have Lo-Jack service anymore, I can't check.
Remote start? You mean Comfort Access where you don't have to insert the keyfob?

Because if you have Remote Start, it kinda goes against this:

Quote:
Everything oem expect suspension and blackline
      01-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #31
xintrc

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post
Remote start? You mean Comfort Access where you don't have to insert the keyfob?

Because if you have Remote Start, it kinda goes against this:
Yes, Comfort Access. remote start as I don't insert the keyfob, not some aftermarket thing when you can start car from far away. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
      01-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #32
jewrican
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 E90 335i w/ JB4

Garage List
i can say that i had the same issue with MANY shops i called in the north atlanta area. I would say 3/4 shops i spoke to argued with me about having to code the battery.

It sucks that you have to know more than your damn indy... find a great shop and stick with it!