E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Virgin Bimmer buyer

03-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
yoshi_88
Registered

Drives: bimmer

Virgin Bimmer buyer

Hey guys as the title says I'm a virgin bimmer buy and looking to buy a E90 6spd 4dr alpine white, but I was just wondering what major problems some of these cars have and what I should look out for when buying one of these vehicles aside from the standard wear and tear items and body condition items that used vehicle can have.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

Your purchase of a BMW can still take place even if you're a virgin. There's nothing wrong with saving yourself for the right woman or man.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Pay to play. 32x or 335i. Choose wisely. The 335i has a few known issues that you have to have money in the bank for ready mainly HPFP *crosses fingers* (still havent needed one), and the tubos wastegates issue. All very well documented. Also, may be a non issue depending on what year you go with. I think '11+ doesn't have these issues. Basically n54 vs n55.
      03-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Yaezu

Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Your purchase of a BMW can still take place even if you're a virgin. There's nothing wrong with saving yourself for the right woman or man.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
zero2sixtyZ
Fighter Pilot
United_States

Drives: with 3 pedals.

Garage List
Quote:
Got 'em.

2007 E92 335i 6MT | Black Sapphire Metallic | BMS DCI | BMS Flash | M-Sport Front | Perf. Spoiler | 235/265 PSS
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
_Sinister_
Major
United_States

Drives: e90 335i mt

Quote:

Do your research like I did. First question you want to ask yourself is can you keep up with the required maintenances of these vehicles? Depending on what your income is and what you want they offer several models. If you want something quick Id recommend the 335i but get the best package if possible, you'll like the Navigation, sport seats, body styling and suspension well worth the extra you pay.
      03-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
hockeyplayer
Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 325xi

get a pre-purchase inspection at a reputable independent shop that specializes in BMWs or European cars.

current stable:
2006 325i, Sport Package
2006 325xi, Comfort Access, 6-speed MT

Last edited by hockeyplayer; 03-19-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
benzo23
Colonel

Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Yea I would definitely recommend she get inspected first.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
Eddien123
Captain
United_States

Drives: E90

I'd like to assume that it you buy one today, most of the problems have already occurred. For example starter, water pump.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Nitemare3219

Drives: Jeep Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer View Post
get a pre-purchase inspection at a reputable independent shop the specializes in BMWs or European cars.
How exactly does one go about doing this when it's sitting on dealer's lot? What if there are no indy's nearby? This is one thing that worries be when I go to buy... that and there are no nearby dealers at home or school for warranty service should it arise. All 1-2 hr drives... I'd hate for that to hold me back from getting a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
duceswild
Private
United_States

Drives: 08 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi_88 View Post
Hey guys as the title says I'm a virgin bimmer buy and looking to buy a E90 6spd 4dr alpine white, but I was just wondering what major problems some of these cars have and what I should look out for when buying one of these vehicles aside from the standard wear and tear items and body condition items that used vehicle can have.
I just bought my 08' E90 in February. You will want to do a cold start after it has sat over night. This is when you are most likely to hear a waste gate rattle. I would recommend having it checked for codes. The same week I bought mine the Service engine soon light came on and there was an emissions issue that the dealer didn't disclose at time of purchase. None the less they are fixing it...
You can call any BMW dealer and have the service rep check the vin for warranty work. this can tell you if it has had standard recalls done or if it is a problematic car. (excessive warranty work) The N54 is a great engine. I have been very happy with the purchase.
      03-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
hockeyplayer
Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare3219 View Post
How exactly does one go about doing this when it's sitting on dealer's lot? What if there are no indy's nearby? This is one thing that worries be when I go to buy... that and there are no nearby dealers at home or school for warranty service should it arise. All 1-2 hr drives... I'd hate for that to hold me back from getting a BMW.
Easy. Tell the dealer you're really interested and you want it looked at by a reputable Euro shop & that you are willing to pay for an inspection by said shop. If they want to sell you the car they will play ball. If they aren't willing then don't buy ANY car from this dealer.

It sounds like you may have to invest some time here if these shops are 1-2 hours away from you. Also, you bring up a good point, if you don't have anyone locally who can work on your car, then you need to consider that in your purchase.

current stable:
2006 325i, Sport Package
2006 325xi, Comfort Access, 6-speed MT
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #13
yoshi_88
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceswild View Post
I just bought my 08' E90 in February. You will want to do a cold start after it has sat over night. This is when you are most likely to hear a waste gate rattle. I would recommend having it checked for codes. The same week I bought mine the Service engine soon light came on and there was an emissions issue that the dealer didn't disclose at time of purchase. None the less they are fixing it...
You can call any BMW dealer and have the service rep check the vin for warranty work. this can tell you if it has had standard recalls done or if it is a problematic car. (excessive warranty work) The N54 is a great engine. I have been very happy with the purchase.
thanks thats a good tip, i will have to find a car that i want first, i just know what i want for a E90

Quote:
hahaha, I've should of seen that coming as i left myself wide open for that lol, your a funny guy John_070, next time leave me a bag of ice or some burn cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer View Post
Easy. Tell the dealer you're really interested and you want it looked at by a reputable Euro shop & that you are willing to pay for an inspection by said shop. If they want to sell you the car they will play ball. If they aren't willing then don't buy ANY car from this dealer.

It sounds like you may have to invest some time here if these shops are 1-2 hours away from you. Also, you bring up a good point, if you don't have anyone locally who can work on your car, then you need to consider that in your purchase.
I for a dealership is the city I live in, and we also have a BMW dealer and I also happen to know a service tech that works at that dealer so I'll be covered for service work, and thanks for the input
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Looking for a 328i or 335i? That's kinda important...
Mods: JBD @ 100% | Weisslicht LED side lenses | CF pillar trim | Cyba 4" dry carbon tips | CF trunk spoiler | LUX H8 V3 | 193M w/ Michelin PSS | BMS 12/15mm spacers | LTMW CF interior wrap | BSW Stage 1 | CF shifter trim | CF steering wheel trim | m-sport steering wheel | CF pedal set | CF license plate frames | Ziza LED interior kit | Euro side mirrors | M3 rep front bumper | Coded
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.

Drives: 2007 335i E90

According to some on this forum, they're all pieces of sh** and we're all taking it up the *ss for buying them. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960697

But I predict you will always remember your first.

KW ST Coilovers, Staggered 359s, M3-style spoiler, splitters, ER Charge Pipe/BOV, BMS DCI, LUX V5.2
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
yoshi_88
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
Looking for a 328i or 335i? That's kinda important...
I'm looking to buy a 335i but im not sure if i want a XI or not
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi_88 View Post
I'm looking to buy a 335i but im not sure if i want a XI or not
Well, you do live in the Great White North but as others suggested in the past, go for RWD and just slap on some nice winter tires during the snowy seasons. I'm not a fan of adding more weight to your car just for AWD.
Mods: JBD @ 100% | Weisslicht LED side lenses | CF pillar trim | Cyba 4" dry carbon tips | CF trunk spoiler | LUX H8 V3 | 193M w/ Michelin PSS | BMS 12/15mm spacers | LTMW CF interior wrap | BSW Stage 1 | CF shifter trim | CF steering wheel trim | m-sport steering wheel | CF pedal set | CF license plate frames | Ziza LED interior kit | Euro side mirrors | M3 rep front bumper | Coded
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #18
SwissCheeseHead
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '11 328it

Quote:
awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #19
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGEE View Post
According to some on this forum, they're all pieces of sh** and we're all taking it up the *ss for buying them. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960697

But I predict you will always remember your first.
Well I guess I'll confess that I suggested that "they are all a pieces of shit" and we "take it up the ass" for owning them (even though I've bought 3 brand new 3-ers since 1988 and put a total of 660,000 combined miles on them - my E90 has currently 243K on it and I drive it daily 170 miles)

So OP, I suggest you find the threads on the Forum that discuss how many miles people have on their E90 325/330/328 (N52) and their 335i (N54). There are plenty of threads on the subject. There are also threads that discuss how much people spend on maintenance. These are all long-running threads that have been recently posted to in the last few weeks, so they are easy to find.

Then maybe review the DIY section and see what DIYs relate to replacement of broken items, so you can get an idea of what brakes on these cars. Water pumps and thermostats are the big ticket items that go, coils apparently go too , and the HPFP and turbo wastegate rattles for the 335i.

But the advice I give to people who ask me about BMW is this: If you are coming from a Japanese car, and are expecting the same level of reliability (but better driving performance) out of a BMW because of the high retail price, you will be sadly disappointed. BMWs break, and behave strangely (issues will show up as errors, then go away, never to return). The electrics are not great (but way better than the '80s and '90s models). It's something you must tolerate as a BMW owner, but you do not have to accept it. If you like to have an intimate relationship with your car, and fix stuff on it, then you'll enjoy the experience (as I do). If you don't like paying repair bills from the dealer or your trustworthy mechanic, then don't get a Bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
duceswild
Private
United_States

Drives: 08 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
But the advice I give to people who ask me about BMW is this: If you are coming from a Japanese car, and are expecting the same level of reliability (but better driving performance) out of a BMW because of the high retail price, you will be sadly disappointed. BMWs break, and behave strangely (issues will show up as errors, then go away, never to return). The electrics are not great (but way better than the '80s and '90s models). It's something you must tolerate as a BMW owner, but you do not have to accept it. If you like to have an intimate relationship with your car, and fix stuff on it, then you'll enjoy the experience (as I do). If you don't like paying repair bills from the dealer or your trustworthy mechanic, then don't get a Bimmer.
Have You seen Toyota, Lexus or Honda's track record lately? On a BMW you may replace parts. On other "reliable cars" they have been needing to replace whole engines.
I'm more confident in a manufacture that needs a new injector or fuel pump here and there then I am in one that needs a new engine after 15K.

It's the life long attige you have to pay to play. I'd rather pay to play in a BMW 335i then a Honda SI any day!

Last edited by duceswild; 04-17-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #21
Johnny Boost
Major

Drives: '11 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceswild View Post
Have You seen Toyota, Lexus or Honda's track record lately? On a BMW you may replace parts. On other "reliable cars" they have been needing to replace whole engines.
I'm more confident in a manufacture that needs a new injector or fuel pump here and there then I am in one that needs a new engine after 15K.

It's the life long attige you have to pay to play. I'd rather pay to play in a BMW 335i then a Honda SI any day!
Are you suggesting that BMWs are more reliable than Hondas and Toyotas?

LUX v4 LEDs | Shadowline Grills | M3 Lip Spoiler | 5% tint
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
Nguyenhu0106
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 335i

what i have learned and what i have tried to pass along to others....
you may be buying a used car for say 20,000 but for the issues that comes up.. you're repairing a $50k+ car.... I came from a civic and i spent only a fraction of what i have on my 335i on maintenance and repairs.

the only thing i can suggest is... get the car for a reputable dealer or get it checked by one. Also keep up with your maintenance and repairs.. issues can escalate when left unaddressed too long.
Appreciate 0