E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to remove this bolt

12-24-2015, 01:57 AM   #1
james0013
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328 X1

How to remove this bolt

So I am doing a job on my car (happens to be a 2010 R56 mini cooper S) posting here to see if anyone can help. I am having trouble getting one bolt out of the oil pan (doing the pan gasket).

There is one bolt directly above the exhaust pipe down pipe even if I removed the exhaust back section the front section is still in the way. Any suggestions on how I can removed it?

The DIY I have been following suggest using a socket with a swivel. I only have a separate socket and universal joint not a combined on and its too long for the space available.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ments_Bookmark

Should I go to a crowfoot wrench? Go and buy a one peace 8mm swivel and socket.

Thanks
James
Attached Images

Last edited by james0013; 12-24-2015 at 02:16 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 04:09 AM   #2
dawhiz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi RB/inlets/etc

To maximize space i'd run with the 3/8 looking at the pic.

Swivels you buy at sears: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-pc-...4&blockType=G4

Get a 3/8 socket that bolt size (10-11mm maybe?)

Get a 3/8 socket extension http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-pc-...2&blockType=G2

Get a 3/8 socket adapter to whatever size your torque wrench is: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-t...p-00904258000P

This would allow you to use the 3/8 to maximize space and still be able torque it down properly when done. Make sure to follow the proper directions on order for torquing the bolts. Go around checking torque a few times until they all match since everything will settle flat as you go around the first time.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

I'd try a 8MM crow's foot. But how do you get the pan out without removing the exhaust header anyway?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
jwalker87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2011 e90 335xi

Maybe try a ratcheting combination wrench? Or a normal combination wrench for proof of concept.

2011 e90 335i xdrive M-sport pkg - JB4 ISO - BMS OCC - LUX LED angel eyes - VRSF DP - HID fogs - AFE Scoops
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
PhaseP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Why not follow the Pelicanparts DIY, it shows exactly what is used there with success, one piece 8mm swivel with an extension added.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
james0013
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Why not follow the Pelicanparts DIY, it shows exactly what is used there with success, one piece 8mm swivel with an extension added.

That is what I ended up doing, when I looked at the DIY i assumed I could use a separate swivel and socket turns our that was not quite right.

Now my biggest problem is that this car seems to have had this job done before, replacement seal is made of RTV sealant not the paper seal that should have been from the factory and I was expecting, (Also per the instructions I was using).

I have all the bolts out but I can not get the pan off the bottom of the crank case. Any tips on breaking the seal and removing the pan?

I have tried using plastic trim tools to break the pan loose, next I was going to try a rubber mallet (Other forums have suggested this).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
sy2767
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0013 View Post
That is what I ended up doing, when I looked at the DIY i assumed I could use a separate swivel and socket turns our that was not quite right.

Now my biggest problem is that this car seems to have had this job done before, replacement seal is made of RTV sealant not the paper seal that should have been from the factory and I was expecting, (Also per the instructions I was using).

I have all the bolts out but I can not get the pan off the bottom of the crank case. Any tips on breaking the seal and removing the pan?

I have tried using plastic trim tools to break the pan loose, next I was going to try a rubber mallet (Other forums have suggested this).
A modern car with a paper oil pan gasket? I'm sure thats not how it was from the factory. Thats why its so hard to remove, sounds like a previous hack job imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 10:25 PM   #8
james0013
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767 View Post
A modern car with a paper oil pan gasket? I'm sure thats not how it was from the factory. Thats why its so hard to remove, sounds like a previous hack job imo.
I use the term "Paper Gasket" because that is the term used by the pelican DIY.

In that DIY they make the point that the "Paper Gasket" were prone to leaks. As a result they (BMW/Mini) wanted to change to a silent gasket.

My problem is that my car already has the RTV sealant seal and it leaked again. this issues is that I can not get it apart to fix it by redoing to RTV seal.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #9
PhaseP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Rubber mallet, or dead blow hammer with soft face I would suggest too. But of course be gentle not to dent it, seems like sheet metal from pictures.
See also if you can find any place you can pry, like extra piece hanging off of the engine block surface.

My experience with things stuck like that, patience is the key. If you get frustrated with it, give some time off and then get back to it.
Appreciate 0