E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Completely dead car..



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
Rajvosa
Lieutenant
29
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

Completely dead car..

hi guys,

wife has a 2011 E90 323i.
i used her key remote to unlock the car (worked fine), then put the baby into the seat and gave her the keys. she put the key into the slot and nothing happened. basically car is dead. no lights, cant open boot, no hazards working..nothing is working. tried the spare key, same thing.

help..?? battery?? i almost never drive the car so cant recall it starting with difficulty when used.. we have had the car for 1.5 years so could be original battery..

few questions:

1) to open the boot, can i use jumper leads under bonnet points and try to turn it on?

2) if its the battery (will test with multimeter), i will buy an aftermarket battery, BUT do i need to get it registered to the car??

3) what software needs to be used to register the battery? i have INPA on a laptop... can i do it through there?

thank you all for prompt advice..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Grohouse
Enlisted Member
Grohouse's Avatar
Australia
2
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: BMW e90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Adelaide

iTrader: (0)

Roadside assistance would be my first call.
But this sounds like a battery issues to me. I've had my e90 throw multiple error codes in the past (including DTC fault, ABS fault, Tire Pressure sensor fault etc) with a under charged battery... yours may be completely flat.

If it turns out to be a flat battery and you make short trips I recommend buy a battery charger and plug it in every now and then. I've read some chargers like a ctek brand can recondition and revive a flat.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
vtl
Colonel
vtl's Avatar
Australia
359
Rep
2,166
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
hi guys,

wife has a 2011 E90 323i.
i used her key remote to unlock the car (worked fine), then put the baby into the seat and gave her the keys. she put the key into the slot and nothing happened. basically car is dead. no lights, cant open boot, no hazards working..nothing is working. tried the spare key, same thing.

help..?? battery?? i almost never drive the car so cant recall it starting with difficulty when used.. we have had the car for 1.5 years so could be original battery..

few questions:

1) to open the boot, can i use jumper leads under bonnet points and try to turn it on?

2) if its the battery (will test with multimeter), i will buy an aftermarket battery, BUT do i need to get it registered to the car??

3) what software needs to be used to register the battery? i have INPA on a laptop... can i do it through there?

thank you all for prompt advice..
1. Yes powering the front terminals will work, if you have a keyhole in your boot that's an easier solution.

2. Yes you install the new battery and then you need to get it registered.

3. Yes INPA will do it
__________________
Build Thread | MHD Stage 2+ | Agency Power DPs | PE Mod Exhaust | 550i Clutch | Wagner FMIC | Turbosmart Kompact DVs | M3 Control arms | Bilstein B12 ProKit | Dinan Camber Plates | M3 Front Sway | E46 M3 Trans mounts | Nolathane rear subframe bushings | Ferodo DS2500 pads | Yokohama AD08R | 18" BMW 313 Rims | Schroth Harness | M3 Steering Wheel | LEDs | CIC + Combox retrofit
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:03 AM   #4
Socket
Major General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
929
Rep
7,183
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (3)

Registering battery dies not need to be done immediately
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:11 AM   #5
titium
Lieutenant
70
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

had a similar thing happen to me. car wouldn't turn on couldn't even take the key out of the slot.

mine came back alive after a few minutes (i opened the bonnet at the same time)

turned out to be a loose negative terminal connection.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:40 AM   #6
Rajvosa
Lieutenant
29
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

UPDATE:

Came back home this arvo and car is working. Upon putting ignition on it came up with INCREASED BATTERY DISCHARGE warning.

Then while I got my diagnostic machine (ignition on still) came up with BATTERY VOLTAGE VERY LOW warning. While waiting for diagnostic to fire up, car decided to die again...no lights etc etc

Guessing it's the battery??

Last edited by Rajvosa; 08-25-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:22 AM   #7
EB89
Lieutenant Colonel
EB89's Avatar
Australia
122
Rep
1,852
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wollongong, NSW

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Yeah battery is low

Either buy a charger and juice it up or get a new battery.

Chances are it's still ok and can be charged.

Mines been dead plenty of times and charging it up works.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:47 AM   #8
Socket
Major General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
929
Rep
7,183
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (3)

Get new battery. $300 will give you peace of mind. If you can't remember when you changed it last, it means it's a good time to swap it out lel
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:54 AM   #9
Rajvosa
Lieutenant
29
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

Another update:

Tried putting in battery out of my E46 M3 and cat is still dead. Absolutely nothing coming up...

Meanwhile used the e90 battery in the E46 and fired up just fine. Used hidden on board computer feature to see battery vantage and sitting at 12.4 when car is off....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:56 AM   #10
Socket
Major General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
929
Rep
7,183
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (3)

Oh that's no good
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 06:08 AM   #11
vtl
Colonel
vtl's Avatar
Australia
359
Rep
2,166
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

It'll be a battery cable issue. There was a recall on this, one of the main power cables going to the fusebox was dodgy, should have already been fixed via the dealer but the car may have fallen through the cracks.
__________________
Build Thread | MHD Stage 2+ | Agency Power DPs | PE Mod Exhaust | 550i Clutch | Wagner FMIC | Turbosmart Kompact DVs | M3 Control arms | Bilstein B12 ProKit | Dinan Camber Plates | M3 Front Sway | E46 M3 Trans mounts | Nolathane rear subframe bushings | Ferodo DS2500 pads | Yokohama AD08R | 18" BMW 313 Rims | Schroth Harness | M3 Steering Wheel | LEDs | CIC + Combox retrofit
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 06:41 AM   #12
Rajvosa
Lieutenant
29
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

Any way to test this?

Where are the main power fuses situated?

Just tried jump starting it and still same. No power at all
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #13
Rajvosa
Lieutenant
29
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

Update:

Just had a look at fuses and red cable that goes from battery to fuse box. Seemed ok.

After putting everything back together car again had power...

Gonna call dealership and enquire about the recall. See what they say
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #14
Grohouse
Enlisted Member
Grohouse's Avatar
Australia
2
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: BMW e90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Adelaide

iTrader: (0)

Electrical Issues suck, I feel for you. Get a second opinion from an independent auto electrician who specialise in Euro cars after you visit the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #15
BMOmega
Private First Class
Australia
5
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Syd

iTrader: (0)

Does BMW still use fusible links? I had a e39 with electrical faults which i tracked to a cracked fusible link.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #16
twenza
Private First Class
13
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: Dealer
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kariong Gosford

iTrader: (0)

We still are doing some of those recalls. some cars fall through cracks, transfer to multiple people and paperwork never gets forwarded. Wouldn't hurt to call up your closest dealer and give them your VIN to check.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #17
EB89
Lieutenant Colonel
EB89's Avatar
Australia
122
Rep
1,852
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wollongong, NSW

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenza View Post
We still are doing some of those recalls. some cars fall through cracks, transfer to multiple people and paperwork never gets forwarded. Wouldn't hurt to call up your closest dealer and give them your VIN to check.
Was this recall for all e9x including LCI models?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #18
Rajvosa
Lieutenant
29
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenza View Post
We still are doing some of those recalls. some cars fall through cracks, transfer to multiple people and paperwork never gets forwarded. Wouldn't hurt to call up your closest dealer and give them your VIN to check.
i have been into local BMW and they said no outstanding recall on this chassis number.

have also called victorian dealership who serviced car previously and she also said no recalls come up for this chassis number in BMW portal (where it should show she reckons).

fuk sake, not sure what to do now...

what is this Junction box i read about? few people mentioned could be that...is that the box that sits under the fuse box (behind glovebox) or is it in the boot somewhere?

by the way, car started normal this morning, drove it to work all fine so far...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 03:59 AM   #19
Socket
Major General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
929
Rep
7,183
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
i have been into local BMW and they said no outstanding recall on this chassis number.

have also called victorian dealership who serviced car previously and she also said no recalls come up for this chassis number in BMW portal (where it should show she reckons).

fuk sake, not sure what to do now...

what is this Junction box i read about? few people mentioned could be that...is that the box that sits under the fuse box (behind glovebox) or is it in the boot somewhere?

by the way, car started normal this morning, drove it to work all fine so far...
It started again??? what did you do?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #20
Rajvosa
Lieutenant
29
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
It started again??? what did you do?
nothing special.(reminder that even yesterday, in the morning it was dead then in the arvo when i got back home, it was on..)

last night i disconnected battery and took out the main fuse box to have a look at battery cable connection that plugs at the back of it.. all seemed fine.

put it all back together and it was alive.. been fine since.

had battery tested properly today and its fine as well..

so im left waiting for the next episode i guess, and if it dies again completely maybe test the positive battery cable with multimeter to see if thats showing lower power than actual battery....

even though my chassis number isnt on the recall list (car was made during the same period of recalled cars..), so maybe i got faulty cable. i dont know!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #21
EB89
Lieutenant Colonel
EB89's Avatar
Australia
122
Rep
1,852
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wollongong, NSW

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
nothing special.(reminder that even yesterday, in the morning it was dead then in the arvo when i got back home, it was on..)

last night i disconnected battery and took out the main fuse box to have a look at battery cable connection that plugs at the back of it.. all seemed fine.

put it all back together and it was alive.. been fine since.

had battery tested properly today and its fine as well..

so im left waiting for the next episode i guess, and if it dies again completely maybe test the positive battery cable with multimeter to see if thats showing lower power than actual battery....

even though my chassis number isnt on the recall list (car was made during the same period of recalled cars..), so maybe i got faulty cable. i dont know!
That's really shit man, maybe when it's dead get a voltmeter onto the battery cable in the fuse area to see if it's getting anything
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #22
Rajvosa
Lieutenant
29
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
That's really shit man, maybe when it's dead get a voltmeter onto the battery cable in the fuse area to see if it's getting anything
yeah plan is if it happens again, to get check voltage on the actual cable and see if thats to blame.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST