E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Is it wrong to ask a mechanic if he codes?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
rjrankin83
Private
 
rjrankin83's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: fernandina beach fl

Posts: 75
iTrader: (2)

Is it wrong to ask a mechanic if he codes?

May seem like a stupid question but I'm oblivious. I have to drop my car off to get the tires balanced so figured I may ask. I want the seat belt ding coded off, amber delete, and digital speedo. Would it be wrong of me to ask if the mechanic can do it?

FWIW certified BMW,Mercedes,VW, and Lexus mechanic (not a mom and pop place but not a dealer)

Still new to BMW and don't want to push any buttons at the mechanic when I'm sure I could find someone in Jax to do it for me.

Thanks
rjrankin83 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
LucWerkz
Banned
 
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DC/VA/MD/PA

Posts: 1,254
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrankin83 View Post
May seem like a stupid question but I'm oblivious. I have to drop my car off to get the tires balanced so figured I may ask. I want the seat belt ding coded off, amber delete, and digital speedo. Would it be wrong of me to ask if the mechanic can do it?

FWIW certified BMW,Mercedes,VW, and Lexus mechanic (not a mom and pop place but not a dealer)

Still new to BMW and don't want to push any buttons at the mechanic when I'm sure I could find someone in Jax to do it for me.

Thanks
It really depends on the mechanic. Most are good guys and will answer any questions without hesitation. There are the assholes out there but you really shouldn't be dealing with them in the first place.
LucWerkz is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 18,267
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Why would it be wrong. It's either he does or he doesn't. No harm done. I would ask.
__________________

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 328XI
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

its not like it is illegal or anything. if he gives you a hard time kick him in the balls and move on to a new mechanic
michbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
rjrankin83
Private
 
rjrankin83's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: fernandina beach fl

Posts: 75
iTrader: (2)

Asked him this morning and he said it's the first time something like that has been requested but he knows it can be done and will see what he can do. The only one I was worried about requesting was the seat belt ding. It's a law so I figured I might be pushing it there so didn't request it. I wear my seat belt but hate when you're going right around the corner and don't put it on
rjrankin83 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
rjrankin83
Private
 
rjrankin83's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: fernandina beach fl

Posts: 75
iTrader: (2)

Just got a call from the mechanic saying they have the best software and have contacted a BMW tech and it's not possible on my car. Now I have to get it coded in someones garage and take it back to prove them wrong
rjrankin83 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 18,267
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328ijunkie View Post
^Lol. I offer to code all my customer cars lol
You are the man! Sad that some of these features are not already enabled for US cars..
__________________

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Ruhnie
Private
 
Ruhnie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Jet Black E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

I have a very similar question as to this, but am looking for some coding specifics. My uncle is a certified BMW mechanic and where I take my car. He says he can pay BMW $40 for a 24-hour access to all the coding stuff, and he'll let me sit there and do whatever I want to it. He hasn't coded anything specific himself as far as I know.

Is it safe to mess around in there? Should it be pretty easy to figure out what codes are the popular ones - i.e. corner delete, digital tach, etc. If anyone knows what are some good ones I should do please chime in. Or would it be better to save the $40 and buy a cable and code myself? TIA
Ruhnie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
 
DUI Elite's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 SGM E90
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,606
iTrader: (4)

The best is when BMW dealerships tell you the same thing. "It's not possible on your car sir, you must upgrade XXXXXXXXXXXX"

^I'd say have someone who's done it before give it a try. If it works, its the first and last time you'll be needing to modify anything. I can't justify buying the cable and still having to learn on top of that.

I'd rather pay the guy who know's and make the job easier.
DUI Elite is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
rjrankin83
Private
 
rjrankin83's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: fernandina beach fl

Posts: 75
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
The best is when BMW dealerships tell you the same thing. "It's not possible on your car sir, you must upgrade XXXXXXXXXXXX"

^I'd say have someone who's done it before give it a try. If it works, its the first and last time you'll be needing to modify anything. I can't justify buying the cable and still having to learn on top of that.

I'd rather pay the guy who know's and make the job easier.
Yeah I'm getting it done locally in someone's garage soon. Going to make it a point to stop by my local garage and point out that what I was requesting was/is possible. In there defense I live in a rather "old" community and the majority of their car's owners' are elderly and they haven't had a request like mine. They went off what their BMW rep told them so I won't hold it against them.

Also I'm a bit of a nerd and would love to learn to code myself however I gave up on Windows awhile ago and from what I can gather it's not available on OSX
rjrankin83 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
BMVeh
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 367
iTrader: (4)

where are you located...a guy in coming to tampa in 2 days to code a bunch of us..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774784
__________________
06 330i SGM
BMVeh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
rjrankin83
Private
 
rjrankin83's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: fernandina beach fl

Posts: 75
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMVeh View Post
where are you located...a guy in coming to tampa in 2 days to code a bunch of us..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774784
I'm in Jax but headed to Tampa tomorrow. I'm set though locally in Jax just have to wait until the 14th. Thanks though
rjrankin83 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
 
DUI Elite's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 SGM E90
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,606
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrankin83 View Post
Yeah I'm getting it done locally in someone's garage soon. Going to make it a point to stop by my local garage and point out that what I was requesting was/is possible. In there defense I live in a rather "old" community and the majority of their car's owners' are elderly and they haven't had a request like mine. They went off what their BMW rep told them so I won't hold it against them.

Also I'm a bit of a nerd and would love to learn to code myself however I gave up on Windows awhile ago and from what I can gather it's not available on OSX
NCS Expert isn;t available to work on OS X but if you run Parallel's on your Mac, and use Windows, you can achieve the same goal, but in my opinion its a bigger pain than its worth.

Using NCS Dummy on a windows PC is much much more straightforward because theres no formatting issues.

Even with running parallel's on a Mac, I've noticed that programs in Windows 7 can be glitchy.

I have picked up on some things about coding by watching others do it, but there's too much at stake for me to want to learn on my own.
DUI Elite is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
Ruhnie
Private
 
Ruhnie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Jet Black E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Do the codes/interface using the official BMW computer program look the same as what is posted around here for coding? Anyone seen or used the official programmer?
Ruhnie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
xxxjecxxx
Captain
 
xxxjecxxx's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black 06 325i LCI
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 747
iTrader: (1)

If you are coding at a BMW dealership, it's not going to look the same as the tools we are using here.It's a different program but unlike NCS Expert, its' idiot proof. I've helped BMW techs code their cars because they have no idea what NCS Expert is. I hope that answers some of your questions.
xxxjecxxx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST