E90Post

Mtrack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Job recruiters calling my work phone?

01-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class

Drives: Car

Job recruiters calling my work phone?

So yesterday and Monday I have had two different job recruiters call my work number and ask for me by name. Now I would like to point out that I do not currently have my work number on any account or resume I have ever had. Is it weird that I am getting these calls on my work number?

My department also has a senior accountant position open (and no one from my department was even considered) and some lady who applied to it emailed me on LinkedIn 4 times within a 4 hour period asking me to pass on her resume to my boss and if I could email her back giving her pointers. Mind you, I never replied to her. How weird is this?
      01-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Raja Ventureshield
Major General

Drives: BMW M3 coupe

that is some crazy randomness stuff going on right there.
freaking wierd if you ask me.
Raja Ventureshield is offline   United_States
      01-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Hawkeye
Depends on your profession. In my profession if you are part of any of the major associations or societies then your information including is pretty easy to obtain. I get calls from recruiters on my work number a few times a month.
Hawkeye is offline   No_Country
      01-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Jet335i
Captain

Drives: 2011 E92 IB ZCP DCT

Same - or someone you know passed along your contact information. I also get solicited on LinkedIn - I usually don't reply. Not only do the people reaching out put little effort into the email, I'm not "passing along" the resume of a stranger who could be a total dud.
      01-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Bobble
Major

Drives: E90 335i/RIP E46 323Ci

Actually you already answered your question, Linkedin. Paid accounts IE recruiters have access to other information there and if your account has your phone bingo. Also does your company have an autmoted phone book, if so combined with Linkedin they got it. I had several colleagues ask me why a certain recuiter was contacting them saying I gave them the info and I called the guy and asked. Dumb azz clearly told me he got it from there. I quickly removed any recruiters I do not know personally and trust over many years of working with them from my Linkedin account. It's become just another recruiting tool IMO.
      01-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless

Drives: Space Grey E92s

Not sure exactly what you do, but in my situation (reseller) we have "partner" sites with all of the companies that we are selling for. Each of them requires a phone number and, given the amount of times I have been solicited for targeted marketing lists, I wouldn't be overly amazed if they were selling my information.

As has been said, LinkedIn is a very easy way to get information about people as well. With paid accounts, you can get a lot more information about somebody as opposed to having a regular, free, account.
MidwestGolfBum is offline   United_States
      01-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Seminole
Colonel

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
Or someone who recently left the company sold a directory to the recruiter to make a few extra bucks.
      01-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Maestro
Captain

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

It is not that hard for Recruited to locate you and get your phone number. I get calls all the time at work from Recruiter either trying to recruiter me or get the name of someone else at my work who maybe a better fit for their jobs. Basically all they need is your name and where you work, and as people pointed out Linked in provide both piece of information to them. I bet if you look at who is looking at your profile you will see it was a recruiter.

Everyone once in a while I get a call on my cell by a recruiter which means someone I know gave them my number.
      01-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
TMNT
Captain

Drives: 330ci ZHP

In the IT world, this happens often. At first it kinda bothered me, but now I've just gotten use to it. Sometimes, these recruiters actually have good positions worth considering (if you're looking). Their game is to call around hoping to run into someone with a potential background match who would consider a new job.

These folks get their names from many sources like jigsaw, linkedin, or any other contact database. If you sign up for professional newsletters, organizations, conferences, events, ect. that's how these folks get those names.
      01-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
Hawkeye
Brigadier General

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Hawkeye
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
In the IT world, this happens often. At first it kinda bothered me, but now I've just gotten use to it. Sometimes, these recruiters actually have good positions worth considering (if you're looking). Their game is to call around hoping to run into someone with a potential background match who would consider a new job.

These folks get their names from many sources like jigsaw, linkedin, or any other contact database. If you sign up for professional newsletters, organizations, conferences, events, ect. that's how these folks get those names.
This - it wastes almost no time or anything and the possibility, however small, of a position that would be appealing is good enough of an upside for me.
Hawkeye is offline   No_Country
      01-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
RambleJ
Colonel

Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post

+1
I get recruited alot and taken the jobs a couple times and I am actively being recruited as of a couple weeks ago. I will entertain the ideas and if the position seems worth it and the pay is an improvement, sometimes it may be worth it and if the company has the opportunity for growth that I am looking for. . .
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
      01-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #12
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

There's no such thing as info privacy anymore. It's ALL being sold. $10k a pop. $1 a pop. Doesn't matter. It's generating money somewhere.
      01-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
jlstyle
Major

Drives: E92 335i

Someone randomly called me one day asking me about my E92 that I sold over a year ago. It sounded like car was auctioned off and was on private dealer's lot.
How did that person get to know my number? Do dealership give out clients' contact info on request? WTF?