E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What to do after first installing JB4?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Madill21
Private
2
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: '08 335i - BMS DCI, JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas, Ga

iTrader: (0)

What to do after first installing JB4?

Hey guys. Recently put in a JB4 and BMS DCI.
Should I be doing some all out runs for the car to get used to the new parts. I have riven the car around for a cpl days and once it's warmed up I've done some 0-60, and 20-80 runs but I wouldn't say they were all out (pedal to the floor) type runs. Not sure if I do some should I expect the car to perform better, etc.

Running map 5 with 93 octane. Any recommendations would be appreciated. New to the tuning world!
__________________
J.D.

2008 335i - JB4 / BMS DCI / Premium Package / Sport Package / 6AT
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
415
Rep
21,290
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (33)

Just drive!
__________________
Facebook Monthly Coupons |Burger Tuning|| |Evolution Racewerks| |VRSF| |HPB Angel Eyes / LED / HID| |VTT Turbo Inlets| |ETS| |Active Autowerke|

|Wagner| |Cobb| |KW Coilovers| |Bilstein| |Spec Clutches| |Injen| |AFE Intakes| |Fuel It| |AR Design| |KONI| |Mishimoto| |StopTech| |Magnaflow| |Borla| |K&N| + MORE
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
bigdaddycane's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
2,741
Posts

Drives: Nothing cool at the moment
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Va

iTrader: (38)

Garage List
Let it warm up properly before flogging it.

Learn how to datalog and understand the results.
__________________
2011 Mineral White M3 ZCP
A light sprinkling of cosmetics and an intake
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
PR3CI5N
need4speed
PR3CI5N's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,423
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (19)

I would set up a few of the steering wheel features such as:
- configure your gauges (5/2)
- DTC always on (6/4)
- start up gauge sweep (5/7)
- warm up toggle flash (6/3)
- boost on fuel or oil (2/1 or 7/1)
- stealth gauge mode (4/1)
- if stock exhaust, open CAN flap (4/5)

Switch between map 2 and 5 to see which one feels stronger. People swear that map 5 is faster than map 2 but I don't feel that way. On a near stock 335i you won't be hitting above 15psi anyways.
__________________
N54
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
kkashanchi
Second Lieutenant
kkashanchi's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
271
Posts

Drives: 2015 YMB M3 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (-1)

drive faster than you did before
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
E36graduate
Lieutenant
E36graduate's Avatar
11
Rep
407
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi Sport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeastern MASS

iTrader: (0)

Buy some new brake pads! Try some E85! Buy a BMS WW Meth Kit ! Downpipes! Oil CAtch Can......etc etc.......
__________________

2008 335xi - 6MT - BMS JB4 G5i - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - BMS WW Meth - Spec Stage 2+ - Spec SMFW - 19" MVR Magnum's - KW V1's - TMS 12.5+20mm Spacers
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Sick335
Major
United_States
25
Rep
1,089
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (2)

WOT and
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
AWil335i
Second Lieutenant
AWil335i's Avatar
7
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Floor It!
__________________
07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS DPs | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq
|


Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
765
Rep
17,144
Posts


Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N54tuning.com

iTrader: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madill21 View Post
Hey guys. Recently put in a JB4 and BMS DCI.
Should I be doing some all out runs for the car to get used to the new parts. I have riven the car around for a cpl days and once it's warmed up I've done some 0-60, and 20-80 runs but I wouldn't say they were all out (pedal to the floor) type runs. Not sure if I do some should I expect the car to perform better, etc.

Running map 5 with 93 octane. Any recommendations would be appreciated. New to the tuning world!
Map5 is the autotuning map so a few hard pulls and a few hours of normal driving should be enough for it to fully adapt and figure out the best settings for your conditions.

Just enjoy the tune

Mike
__________________
ER F-Series FMIC and Downpipes ON SALE - ONE WEEK ONLY - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
BMJ
Captain
BMJ's Avatar
16
Rep
931
Posts

Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
Let it warm up properly before flogging it.
+1 x5
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
19
Rep
1,098
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (2)

FLOOR IT!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
8
Rep
716
Posts

Drives: E92
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilmington, DE

iTrader: (2)

Try out mode 1 .....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Madill21
Private
2
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: '08 335i - BMS DCI, JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas, Ga

iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys. I feel like map 5 has better pull than map 1 or 2. All the gauges you can play with, etc is also pretty sweet. Loving the JB4 and my car all over again!
__________________
J.D.

2008 335i - JB4 / BMS DCI / Premium Package / Sport Package / 6AT
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
51
Rep
2,464
Posts

Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA

iTrader: (0)

Be sure you have the latest firmware & interface from BMS. For ISO they are changing very quickly.
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE - 2013 135is Cab 6MT/JB4 - 2009 V-Star FFR Cobra MK-IV Dyno Tuned 446WHP
Cobra Coyote First Start.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
SickStroke6.0
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
214
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi E90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
I would set up a few of the steering wheel features such as:
- configure your gauges (5/2)
- DTC always on (6/4)
- start up gauge sweep (5/7)
- warm up toggle flash (6/3)
- boost on fuel or oil (2/1 or 7/1)
- stealth gauge mode (4/1)
- if stock exhaust, open CAN flap (4/5)

Switch between map 2 and 5 to see which one feels stronger. People swear that map 5 is faster than map 2 but I don't feel that way. On a near stock 335i you won't be hitting above 15psi anyways.
What is the purpose of the stealth gauge mode and the warmup toggle flash?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
PR3CI5N
need4speed
PR3CI5N's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,423
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (19)

Purpose of the stealth gauge mode is if you put boost on your oil or fuel, the stealth gauge option will allow your boost to only be displayed when your about half throttle whereas if you didn't have this option enabled, your oil or fuel gauge would always be reading 0 until you hit boost so that particular gauge would be pretty much useless.

The warmup toggle flash flashes your hazards about 3 times when your oil temperatures reaches 160 degrees which is when the JB4 switches from map 0 to whatever map you have selected. Before your oil temperature reaches 160, your car is running stock boost so it's nice to know when your car is ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
What is the purpose of the stealth gauge mode and the warmup toggle flash?
__________________
N54
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #17
demontwinz
Lieutenant
4
Rep
456
Posts

Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

warm it up ... and go ... cuz u a race car driver
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
SickStroke6.0
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
214
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi E90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Purpose of the stealth gauge mode is if you put boost on your oil or fuel, the stealth gauge option will allow your boost to only be displayed when your about half throttle whereas if you didn't have this option enabled, your oil or fuel gauge would always be reading 0 until you hit boost so that particular gauge would be pretty much useless.

The warmup toggle flash flashes your hazards about 3 times when your oil temperatures reaches 160 degrees which is when the JB4 switches from map 0 to whatever map you have selected. Before your oil temperature reaches 160, your car is running stock boost so it's nice to know when your car is ready to go.
Wow, this is very neat. I'm new to the BMW tuning world, but I am no stranger to the diesel tuning world. My H&S Black Maxx tuner does something very similar (and is one of my favorite features) where it runs a stock power level tune until the estimated coolant temperature reaches 180*. This is very cool, as soon as I am able to get in a 335i, the JB4 will be soon to follow. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #19
shortseller
Lieutenant Colonel
shortseller's Avatar
United_States
137
Rep
1,817
Posts

Drives: 2015 SOM3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
...The warmup toggle flash flashes your hazards about 3 times when your oil temperatures reaches 160 degrees which is when the JB4 switches from map 0 to whatever map you have selected. Before your oil temperature reaches 160, your car is running stock boost so it's nice to know when your car is ready to go.
So it's safe to WOT when the oil tempt needle lifts off the 160 degree mark?

I only ask because I use to wait till about 220 before hitting it, but unfortunately the only problem was the car seemed to take a long time getting from 160 to 220 which made it frustrating in some situations like on early morning commutes to work via the highway, as I would get passed by little old ladies in Buicks frequently for about the first 15 to 20 minutes!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST