E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Upgrade internals in stock turbos?

01-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
RequestTheOverhead
Going Mach Chicken
Rep
Drives: e90 pre-LCI 335

Garage List
Upgrade internals in stock turbos?

Sorry everyone, I'm on my phone so I can't do a search....

I've owned a couple Audi and VW turbo cars and I know people would upgrade the stock ko3's with different internals at a cheaper cost than upgrading to ko4's or others and was wondering if anyone has done this with our turbos? Reason I ask is I'm starting to hear the siren sound so I know at least one is slowly starting to disintegrate itself.
| Cold, "Sport", and Luxury packages | Tinted | OEM Black Lines | JB4 | DCI | ER FMIC | Forge DV's | Custom exhaust with secondary cat delete, Magnaflow mufflers, black Dimisa Tips | Staggered 18" V718's, Matte Black | Flappy Paddles | Titanium CF Trim Wrap | BMW Performance Shifter and E-Brake Handle |
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

I have the siren as well as many others. Don't worry about it. This is fully warmed up:
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.17]
1994 BMW 525i  [5.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
Google Rob Beck Turbos, I take it that you have a smart phone.
      01-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Mechanically speaking the N54 is a fucking champ. There are hundreds of 400+whp daily driven N54s running around and, AFAIK, there is yet to be any mechanical failures that are related to increased power output.

Hell, even the record holders are stock.
      01-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
RequestTheOverhead
Going Mach Chicken
Rep
Drives: e90 pre-LCI 335

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
I have the siren as well as many others. Don't worry about it. This is fully warmed up:
Mine ins't as loud as as that yet... just noticeable though my custom exhaust. Only started happening about a week ago. I know its a common occurrence amongst many of the n54's, but the sound still bothers me. Luckily I have yet to replace a turbo on any of the TC cars I've owned through the years (knock on wood!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_World View Post
Google Rob Beck Turbos, I take it that you have a smart phone.
Cool, thanks! I've obviously read about RB's on here but I guess I never realized that they are stock turbos with upgraded internals. Now I feel dumb for starting this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Mechanically speaking the N54 is a fucking champ. There are hundreds of 400+whp daily driven N54s running around and, AFAIK, there is yet to be any mechanical failures that are related to increased power output.

Hell, even the record holders are stock.
You are right, it's definitely a champ... I think much more than the either of the engines in my audi's of VW's. Keeping my fingers crossed (and knocking on wood again...)

Thanks for the replies and info everyone!
| Cold, "Sport", and Luxury packages | Tinted | OEM Black Lines | JB4 | DCI | ER FMIC | Forge DV's | Custom exhaust with secondary cat delete, Magnaflow mufflers, black Dimisa Tips | Staggered 18" V718's, Matte Black | Flappy Paddles | Titanium CF Trim Wrap | BMW Performance Shifter and E-Brake Handle |
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:50 AM   #6
cleex024
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

i thought the siren was normal...ive had it for a while now like 15k miles. seems like everything spools up fine.

i even dynoed with the siren and pulled off 370whp and 410 wtq
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i

Rob Beck or Vargas turbos will be your best bet. Vargas has upgraded WG shafts and better seals than factory. RB sells one version of stock-housing turbos, and Vargas sells a stage 1 (very close to stock with upgraded internal seals, WG parts, etc) or a stage 2 with increased flow, similar to the RB turbos.
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

It has been emphasized to me by one of the vendors that the siren sound is *not* normal, and that it is likely that they will need to be replaced in the near future. However, I have heard the siren noise on tons of non-BMW vehicles, so, I don't know. There does not seem to be a general consensus on this. I only hear the siren noise at low turbo RPMs when the engine is cold. After about a minute or two, the sound goes away for me. I have had this sound for around 10k miles, at least.

I, myself, am debating between Rob Beck and Vargas. I do not need anything as extreme as a single turbo setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
cleex024
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
It has been emphasized to me by one of the vendors that the siren sound is *not* normal, and that it is likely that they will need to be replaced in the near future. However, I have heard the siren noise on tons of non-BMW vehicles, so, I don't know. There does not seem to be a general consensus on this. I only hear the siren noise at low turbo RPMs when the engine is cold. After about a minute or two, the sound goes away for me. I have had this sound for around 10k miles, at least.

I, myself, am debating between Rob Beck and Vargas. I do not need anything as extreme as a single turbo setup.
yup same here...i think im going to go with vargas stg 2...maybe rob becks.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
quattrosaint
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

I siren everyone is refering to in this Video is just normal turbo spool. When a turbo is going it sounds like a dentist drill, you will know when you hear it.