E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > White Smoke From Exhaust = Bad Turbo Seal?

04-18-2014, 12:21 AM   #45
NOTM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
i think my seal is done on my one turbo

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #46
E90Ryan
Kissin' Titties
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 335i

Oh wow, I thought mine was bad, but man, that sure is a lot of smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_13lNcZ6Xrs
      05-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #47
msaleh135
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 135i

Turbo Guys

Hi Guys,
Mine is 135i N54 ,with catless , JB4 , N55 mid pipes, once i install the mid pipe i start getting the smoke and smell oil burn.
i checked my PCV valve and my valve cover gasket was leaking so i replaced them , but problem still there, i think it's a turbo seals , my car only 41000 KM so i am thinking to replace the turbos but how can i check if both of them need to be replaced or only one?!!
any advise?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #48
DLNKWNT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaleh135 View Post
Hi Guys,
Mine is 135i N54 ,with catless , JB4 , N55 mid pipes, once i install the mid pipe i start getting the smoke and smell oil burn.
i checked my PCV valve and my valve cover gasket was leaking so i replaced them , but problem still there, i think it's a turbo seals , my car only 41000 KM so i am thinking to replace the turbos but how can i check if both of them need to be replaced or only one?!!
any advise?
Thanks
im not sure but from what i understand, if your seeing smoke from jst one side of your exhaust, then only the turbo associated with that side has a bad seal. i believe the left side is the front turbo and the right side is the rear?? im having the same issue(2007 e90 w/57k)... i scheduled service at Rallye BMW for the upcoming Tuesday, but now im thinking thats not a good idea... DPs/resonators in place of cats/intake/tune
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #49
18 Zues
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 135

Exclamation worse than notm3 video

135 2009 -White smoke- N54b30, stock, 97k miles...

Thanks for posting. Last week had the same problem as I started up in the morning. I drove 1 block and the smoke coming out of the exhaust was enough to clear the lanes behind me. I pulled into a parking lot and hid for a few moments thinking WTFO!!

I had it towed to a DIY shop. ... First thought was a blown head gasket but I drive the car moderately (most of the time ). It's all stock.

Here are/were the symptoms... White smoke dumping out the tail pipe. Oil >1 liter low. Coolant low = none in the reservoir. Excess oil in the inter-cooler and charge pipes (a lot of it). A slight high pitched whining noise coming from the engine compartment.

I pulled the plugs to look at them and all are covered in black except for #1. It's cleaner than the rest but not white. I drained the oil and it looks normal so it might not be a blown head gasket. I will check compression tonight. After seeing the #1 being cleaner than the rest I believed it was the head gasket... but seeing the oil looks normal made me rethink and do more research. Seeing this thread I am glad I didn't start to tear down the top end. I was not looking forward to timing and VANOS. This is my first BMW DIY but I've rebuilt engines in my past.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:20 AM   #50
18 Zues
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 135

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTM3 View Post
i think my seal is done on my one turbo

Did you get this fixed? Was it the tubos? Front or rear? or was it the Head Gasket?

Thanks
Zipp
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #51
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Drives: 335i

Have the same issues, started right after catless DPs were installed.

Adjusting DWP to higher levels helps to mask the issue (unfortunately this causes the rattle so I'm trading one annoying problem for another). A leaky oil filter housing gasket means oil/coolant may mix - not sure if this could result in smoking exhaust.

I also have a leaking OFH and VCG which I'm going to replace. My oil level isn't dropping by much though.

Anyone have success fixing this problem by replacing VCG or ofh gasket??
Appreciate 0