E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Can I use Cobb Stage 1 - Sport on CA 91?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
210
Posts

 
Drives: '14 m5, Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
Can I use Cobb Stage 1 - Sport on CA 91?

HI All,

The title is the gist of my question.
Can I use the Sport Stage 1 setting safely on 91 California fuel, or should I stick to the "Drive" mode unless I can decide to mix some 100 race fuel for every tank?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Yuchi
Private First Class
Yuchi's Avatar
3
Rep
187
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport Package
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montgomery County, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post
HI All,

The title is the gist of my question.
Can I use the Sport Stage 1 setting safely on 91 California fuel, or should I stick to the "Drive" mode unless I can decide to mix some 100 race fuel for every tank?

Thanks!
I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to......but then again I'm not sure what you mean "California fuel" lol
__________________
2009 BSM with Coral Red interior 135i: ///M-Sport Package // 20% tints //Cobb Protune by ProTuning Freaks// Carbon Fiber trunk lip spoiler // ADV.1 adv10 trakfunctions// H&R front and rear sway bars // Injen dual cone// CP-e full catback exhaust// AR catless downpipes // HPF FMIC // Quaife LSD // LUX Angel Eyes // Eibach Pro-Street S
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Brey335i
Brigadier General
Brey335i's Avatar
52
Rep
4,737
Posts

 
Drives: e46 ///M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (11)

Stick to the Stage 1 Drive maps for 91 octane

You can use aggressive with race gas
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
twinship
Booosted
twinship's Avatar
17
Rep
804
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
Stick to the Stage 1 Drive maps for 91 octane

You can use aggressive with race gas
According to Cobb, the Sport maps are for 91 octane fuel... no?
__________________
2008 BMW 335i//Jet Black on Black Dakota Leather//Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, Logic7 Sound, Aluminum Trim, iPOD & USB, Cobb S1+ Sport, ER FMIC, K&N Filter, H&R Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, ECS Tuning spacers (F-10mm/R-15mm), OEM Rear Aero Spoiler, OEM Sport Diffusor, Cyba 3.8" Tips, OEM Aluminum Pedals, M-tech Steering Wheel, Clear Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
210
Posts

 
Drives: '14 m5, Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
I am not sure.
Here is a screenshot from their latest release notes.
Not sure if it is okay to post, but it is also available for download on their website by anyone..
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
805beemer
Captain
United_States
7
Rep
617
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lompoc, CA

iTrader: (3)

Try it and post a log. I think you'll be fine. Ive been running the aggressive map on 91 mixed with 5 gal of e-85. This week I've been trying 91 with 16 oz of torco and no problems so far. I need to do some more logging with the torco blend to see which I prefer to run. One thing Ive noticed is my oil temps when just cruising where much cooler in similar weather on the e-85 mix. Temp gauge would sit in between 160 and 250 on the e-85 mix and with the torco oil gauge sits only a few notches below 250.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
210
Posts

 
Drives: '14 m5, Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
I'm lucky enough to live a few blocks from a Unocal 100 unleaded station.
I can do a 3.5/1 ratio of 91/100 to get my 93 octane to be totally sure.

I figure I might be able to get away with a 14/2 ratio of 91/100 which would get me 92.1 octane, and then be totally safe with the sport settings. Only drawback is I'd have to make sure I always got gas at one station, and this does increase the cost of fuel by about $6 a tank.

I'll run some logs and post them since I will admit I will have a limited idea how to read them (if any at all).
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
18,382
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Best way to know is to run both and log. Then you can see if the aggressive map is too aggressive or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
twinship
Booosted
twinship's Avatar
17
Rep
804
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post
I am not sure.
Here is a screenshot from their latest release notes.
Not sure if it is okay to post, but it is also available for download on their website by anyone..
From that, one would have to conclude that there is a difference between CA 91 (for which the Drive maps are recommended) and 91 avail elsewhere (for which the Sport maps are recommended).

That's news to me. Has anyone else heard about this difference...?

Interested b/c I'm in CA and plan to install a Cobb tune next week, after a dealer visit. Was planning to go with a Sprt map, but this convo is giving me 2nd thots.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i//Jet Black on Black Dakota Leather//Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, Logic7 Sound, Aluminum Trim, iPOD & USB, Cobb S1+ Sport, ER FMIC, K&N Filter, H&R Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, ECS Tuning spacers (F-10mm/R-15mm), OEM Rear Aero Spoiler, OEM Sport Diffusor, Cyba 3.8" Tips, OEM Aluminum Pedals, M-tech Steering Wheel, Clear Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:40 AM   #10
daisy16905
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
219
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M235i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (1)

What I run in San Jose

Azeemtn - I have ran 91 with no issues on the sport map (saw 13.7 max boost)!!!! Lately I have been waiting til empty, filling with 3 gal of 100 octane (fm Almaden / Foxworthy) and fill rest of way w 91 octane. With my mods and 93 octane I was seeing 15.7 max boost:-)
__________________
M235i (Black) Auto, JB 4 (Stage 2 / Map 5 with EWG & FF wires) ER DP, running E35, BMW Performance LSD, H&R sport springs, Hankook Ventus R-S3's (255/35/18 & 235/40/18) ATE Super Blue Racing brake fluid, 35% tint, black grills!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:19 AM   #11
sleepyyuan
Private
0
Rep
94
Posts

 
Drives: 08 AW/CR 335I MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy16905 View Post
Azeemtn - I have ran 91 with no issues on the sport map (saw 13.7 max boost)!!!! Lately I have been waiting til empty, filling with 3 gal of 100 octane (fm Almaden / Foxworthy) and fill rest of way w 91 octane. With my mods and 93 octane I was seeing 15.7 max boost:-)
so 3 gallons of 100 octane and the rest 91 octane would give me 93 otane to run the stage 1 aggressive map? i've been wanting to try a mix of 100 octane with 91 octane in cali but didn't really know how much to put in
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
18,382
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyyuan View Post
so 3 gallons of 100 octane and the rest 91 octane would give me 93 otane to run the stage 1 aggressive map? i've been wanting to try a mix of 100 octane with 91 octane in cali but didn't really know how much to put in
It's just a simple average formula.

5 Gallon of 91 = 455
5 Gallons of 100 = 500

955 / 10 = 95.5 Octane

Unless you run your tank dry which is not recommended you should always put in more race gas then you need mathematically.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
azeemtn
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
210
Posts

 
Drives: '14 m5, Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 m5  [0.00]
Here is a simple online calculator to help you figure out the right mixtures.

http://www.bazellracefuels.com/Calcs/OC1.htm

Here is a picture as well of some simple mixes and what you can get with them.

Jeff is right on though, don't let the tank go empty.


I am just on the Cobb Sport setting, but nervous about the ACN91 fuel thingy since I am in CA. Until I can figure out how to log (and what to log) on the Cobb, i'll be running a mix that is a safe 92 for it. If my logs look okay at regular 91 with the Sport setting, I'll be able to buy gas as usual.

Thanks!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
sleepyyuan
Private
0
Rep
94
Posts

 
Drives: 08 AW/CR 335I MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
It's just a simple average formula.

5 Gallon of 91 = 455
5 Gallons of 100 = 500

955 / 10 = 95.5 Octane

Unless you run your tank dry which is not recommended you should always put in more race gas then you need mathematically.
thanks jeff! didn't know it was that simple. feeling kinda dumb right now haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post

I am just on the Cobb Sport setting, but nervous about the ACN91 fuel thingy since I am in CA. Until I can figure out how to log (and what to log) on the Cobb, i'll be running a mix that is a safe 92 for it. If my logs look okay at regular 91 with the Sport setting, I'll be able to buy gas as usual.

Thanks!
thanks azeemtn! i've been running sport map on cali 91 gas for a couple of months now and my car seems to run fine. but i won't really know unless i log. i've never log my car before and don't know how or what to log either.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
LAE92
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
310
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

I have been running my 335i on sport on 91 here in LA, no problems yet but I haven't logged anything to check and I have only driven 1.5k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #16
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
ajsalida's Avatar
20
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAE92 View Post
I have been running my 335i on sport on 91 here in LA, no problems yet but I haven't logged anything to check and I have only driven 1.5k miles on it.
What kind of oil temps are you guys seeing on 91 sport?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
derrick603
Lieutenant
4
Rep
452
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

I switched from the Drive to Sport map over the weekend and the car seems to run fine. No noticeable hiccups at WOT. I'll let it settle for a week or so, then do some logging.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
316
Rep
13,593
Posts

 
Drives: JB E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1721 E. Lambert Rd #C, La Habra, CA 90631

iTrader: (51)

The ACN91 maps are recommended from COBB for those in Arizona, California, and Nevada. However, there are tons of guys here, including myself, who are running the standard V301 sport maps on 91 octane as well. The car is running strong and I have not noticed any hiccups or anything bad in general. My car is an 08 and it does have the OEM oil cooler and temps do not raise past 250 at it's highest point!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
ajsalida's Avatar
20
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
The ACN91 maps are recommended from COBB for those in Arizona, California, and Nevada. However, there are tons of guys here, including myself, who are running the standard V301 sport maps on 91 octane as well. The car is running strong and I have not noticed any hiccups or anything bad in general. My car is an 08 and it does have the OEM oil cooler and temps do not raise past 250 at it's highest point!
Good to know, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
LAE92
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
310
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Agreed with MB, ambient temps vary from 60-90F recently...but I am always around 230-240 MAX, again this is for V3.00 sport on ACN 91. My 2007 does have an oil cooler and I do tend to drive... in a spirited manner. I wouldn't worry about oil temps, I would worry about knock and misfires. Again, as all tuners recommend, make sure your plugs are fresh, if its near 20k miles SWAP them! Make sure your oil is clean too!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #21
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
ajsalida's Avatar
20
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

iTrader: (2)

Good advice thanks. I have an AT and it's an Xi, so more weight but it does have the oil cooler. Also my driving is up in the mountains above 7500 ft, up to 12,000 ft regularly so radiators and oil coolers don't work as well and turbos work much harder to hit load targets. Need to do some datalogging and look at what the knock sensors are doing. Saw a boost peak of 17.9 PSI the other day, whoa. That was on 91 octane with booster. Altitude does weird things to turbo ECU calibrations.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #22
sleepyyuan
Private
0
Rep
94
Posts

 
Drives: 08 AW/CR 335I MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
What kind of oil temps are you guys seeing on 91 sport?
mine is around 2 ticks below 250
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST