E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The track, you in or are you out?

01-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
BMWSOZE
Smooth Operator

Drives: 2008 335I

The track, you in or are you out?

I have the dying fear that if I ever take my car to the track I will be obsessed with the track . Anyone else feel this way? Or have you gone to the darkside and your already there because of that first adventure
BMWSOZE is offline   United_States
      01-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
arctic330i
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
I feel the same way, but that I would ruin my car. Track abuse would kill my DD, unfortunately it would mean a dedicated track car oh well!
      01-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
gunsekun
Banned

Drives: E92 335i

best experience ever!
      01-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
BMWSOZE
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsekun View Post
best experience ever!
Stories welcome...
      01-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
mump
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '11 E93 335is/'01 986S/'13 F30

I have only been on 1 track - Nurburgring. About 15 laps in my Evos and 1/2 in my wife's 328i, which ended poorly. With that being said, I can't wait to go back this spring. I find it this way; when I am there, the people are crazy. When I am on the track, amazing. On the drive home and next couple days, that was dangerous. 2 months later, I can't wait to go again.
mump is offline   United_States
      01-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
MrRetep
First Lieutenant

Drives: 435i M-Sport

It's a lot of fun and if you're careful you won't ruin your car I've been tracking for years and can tell you its my favorite hobby, but it is an expensive hobby. So be prepared for the cost I've taken my e90 out a couple times and its not too shabby, I have a couple dedicated track cars though and that's what I have most of my fun in. Feel free to PM with any questions about it.
      01-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Fast

Garage List
If you take your car to the track once you will be hooked, period. After your first event you will start thinking about mods such as upgrading brake pads and dedicated square setups. Then you will start thinking about a BBK. You will learn how to change your own brake fluid. You will not care about rock chips or rubber marring the paint. When you drive on the street you will start thinking about the best line to take, and you will want to late apex every turn. You will start to think about contact patches and weight transfer. You will see your car in a totally different light. And you will meet great people who love cars. Do it!
M3 Esq is online now   United_States
      01-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
S3RI35
definitely two turbos.

Drives: 09E90 (335i)

Two words: DO IT.

Best time you'll ever have with your car, and you'll learn how tolerant it is to aggressive driving.
      01-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Manxman1950
Enlisted Member

Drives: 335is Coupe

The dilemma I face with going to the track is that after a while the thrill of driving fast fades and you want to go faster... just going round and round without pushing the limits seems a bit pointless. Ultimately, perhaps after driver training and mods to the car, this will mean that you exceed the limit of the capabilities of yourself or the car. OK, so you are in a controlled environment, but are you prepared to deal with the financial implications? My last cars were a Cooper S (daily driver) and Lotus Elise, which on paper was my perfect combo, but after a high speed spin in the Lotus, I realized that for me the better answer would be a dedicated (cheaper) track car, or to move on to other hobbies. I chose the latter.
      01-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
ChipB
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335i 'vert, 2014 X5

A weekend DE event with your local BMW CCA chapter is the single best upgrade investment you can ever make. You will learn a lot about proper driving technique, how to take a proper line thorugh a corner, and how the car handles at speed. You will also have the time of your life and are guarranteed to finish the weekend with a big grin on your face! So definitely go for it. However, be aware that brake pads and brake fluid are consumables, so you are likely to be spending a couple hundred $$ on pads and fluids. I highly ecommend that you learn to change these items yourself to save time and $$. All that's required is a good jack, jack stands, a metric socket set, and a torque wrench.

As for being afraid of catching the DE bug - my advice is to do the first couple of DEs with your car totally stock - stock tires, stock brakes, etc. Only after you learn how the car handles as designed by the boys in Bavaria should you start thinking about bigger expenses such as track tires and wheels, track brake pads, etc. Like learning to play golf - as a novice there's no point in spending money on buying the best golf clubs, at least until you've mastered the basics, and likewise there's not much point in spending money on upgradesfor the car until you've mastered the basics of track driving.
      01-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Leche-E92

Drives: 2009 E92

I have my first track day tomorrow !! I will tell you about it Monday !!
Leche-E92 is offline   United_States
      01-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
ChipB
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335i 'vert, 2014 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxman1950 View Post
The dilemma I face with going to the track is that after a while the thrill of driving fast fades and you want to go faster... just going round and round without pushing the limits seems a bit pointless.
I disagree. The limits you push at the track are your own limits, not the car's, and with every DE you can push yuor own limits a little further while staying within the 90% limit of the car. If you are pushing the car's limits beyond 100% it's because you haven't yet learned what your own limits are, and you're making the mistake of trying to make the car do the impossible. The fact that you did a high speed spin should be a learming experience, because it's much better to find the limit of yourself and the car on the track than on the street, where a high speed spin is likely to result in a much worse outcome. The best advice is to go slow - keep your emotions in check, don't let the "red mist" take over, listen to your instructor, and slowly begin to push your limits. This will let you continually improve - much as with any activity (golf, bowling, bridge, etc) where practice make perfect - it's not "pointless" at all and I can say that even after the 30 DE days I've done so far the thrill hasn't faded at all. However, since bad things can happen, it's a good idea to take out a special track-day collision insurance policy.
      01-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Smooth 330i
Captain

Drives: Sleepy 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSOZE View Post
I have the dying fear that if I ever take my car to the track I will be obsessed with the track . Anyone else feel this way? Or have you gone to the darkside and your already there because of that first adventure
BMWs are designed for track. With a few mods you can have a great track toy. Once you experience HPDE you will realize how much you don't know. After HPDE you will think about roads and traffic differently. You will learn how to look ahead and what your vehicle is capable off. There is absolutely no way to learn this on a public road. Also, public roads and constant stop and go traffic are a nightmare for cars. The track surface is excellent unlike public roads and although you are driving faster/harder you learn how to drive smoothly.

After HPDE when you go on a public road it will seem like slow motion. You will also learn that there is no reason to prove anything on the road against Civic Si because a day earlier you got your a$$ kicked by e36 M3. When I attended my first HPDE my instructor recommended that he drives my car first so that I can see and learn his inputs and behavior and overall approach. After two laps I got outside and couldn't believe that he drove the same car. Right then I realized that I know absolutely nothing about driving although I've been driving for 10+ years in US and Europe.

To sum it up, you will be a much better, calmer, smoother, knowledgeable driver. Everything you learn and experience on the track can't be learned on a public road period. But, do not underestimate the track environment. You will need to learn what each flag means and there are several, you need to look ahead, listen to your instructor, control the vehicle, watch your mirrors and monitor situation on the track - all simultaneously!

Go try it once and you will know immediately whether you like it or not. You also meet some interesting folks and become a part of HPDE community.

GL

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
      01-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Braumin
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i xDrive Sedan

I had my e46 on the track and it was so fun. I can't wait to take my 335 this summer.

Also got to drive a Ferrari 458 on the track - now that's a track car! The grip was amazing.
      01-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
vwong
Lieutenant

Drives: All Euro

Send a message via AIM to vwong Send a message via Yahoo to vwong
Been there, done that.....14 years ago, and still doing it. I just went to a "wet" track day at Laguna Seca last month, and will be going to Buttonwillow next month.
vwong is offline   United_States
      01-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
BMWSOZE
Smooth Operator

Great replies so far, instructed lessons are a great idea and much needed. I feel most people "think" they can drive before they truly "learn" how to drive. I think the bug of the track is impossible to avoid after one time
      01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #17
rdub315
Captain

Drives: '07 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
I've only tracked my E90 one weekend at Watkins Glen, and it was the most fun I've ever had, period. Until limp mode.
      01-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #18
BMWSOZE
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub View Post
I've only tracked my E90 one weekend at Watkins Glen, and it was the most fun I've ever had, period. Until limp mode.
Intercooler on your car yet?
      01-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
mrunner
Private

Drives: F30

I would do it with a dedicated track car. After previous adventures with auto modifications, a wife, some kids, a few grey hairs, I would need a car that is always ready to go. And a sperate track car that can sit in my garage waiting for maintenance, parts, and repairs as the time constraits of life dictate the few hours I have to do these things. You can bring it into a garage, but so much more rewarding to be able to maintain your own car. And when you are learning, through forum DIY, manuals,youtube videos sometimes it takes longer than the suggested time, so not needing that car on Monday to go to work, puts less pressure and makes it all more enjoyable. For me anyway.
      01-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
rdub315
Captain

Drives: '07 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSOZE View Post
Intercooler on your car yet?
Yep - have the ETS 5"
      01-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
BMWSOZE
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub View Post
Yep - have the ETS 5"
Sweet
      01-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #22
Amini77
Brigadier General

Drives: SGM E90 330xi

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
I go on the canyons, it's kind of like the track. It was addicting for a bit until I had a near death experience, so I slow down a bit now. I only go when I upgrade something on my e90. Last time was with KW's

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Amini77 is offline   United_States