E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 2009 335i e92 xDrive - Whispbar S6 Matte Black w/Thule Ascent 1600 Cargo Box

06-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
pinemind
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 BWM 335i xDrive coupe

2009 335i e92 xDrive - Whispbar S6 Matte Black w/Thule Ascent 1600 Cargo Box

All,

I finally got my Whispbars painted (plasti-dip) and installed them on my 2009 335i e92 this weekend. I've been trying to find a Thule Ascent 1600 locally since I think it's the best cargo box to fit an e92 and still be functional for winter sports. REI has been sold out online/in store for over a month, so I jumped on Rackattack having just gotten a single one in today.

The Thule Ascent 1600 is 33" wide, 76" long and can hold up to 186 cm skis, and only weighs 35 lbs, making it simple for one person to install/remove. I also go to a lot of music festivals in the summer and camp so I needed something to throw all the gear in (pop-up canopy, camp chairs, tents, 30 packs). This thing fits perfectly and I didn't notice much sound at all at 80 mph. I couldn't imagine getting one of the super long 82"+ ones and throwing that on the e92.

Since there aren't many pictures on the web, I figured I'd post a few up here so anyone looking to get a cargo box can judge for themselves. Note, Thule is the only one that makes these intermediate sized boxes. Yakima, it's either ~50" or 82"+. Thule also makes an Atlantis 1600, but it's $100 more, plus 20 pounds, minus 2" on length (can only fit 176 cm skis, big no-no). The only real exterior difference is gloss black or gloss silver exterior choices. I think it's also a touch wider at 36", which may not fit on these bars (33" width on both).

Parts:
1. Yakima Whispbar Flush - S6
2. Yakima Whispbar fit kit - K439
3. Thule Ascent 1600
4. Handing your wallet over to the almighty rack manufacturers

Any questions, feel free to ask. As long as it's not, "Why is your car so dirty?" or "Why do birds hate your car?"
      01-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
twpenick

Drives: 2008 328i

Do you think the box would fit the BMW roof rack rails? How much (ballpark) for the setup? I am looking for something to carry stuff from Cleveland to Hilton Head, SC for vacation. I am thinking small luggage, backpacks, etc.