E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Aftermarket FMIC & Gold Warranty?

01-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast

Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Aftermarket FMIC & Gold Warranty?

Technically - an FMIC helps the engine keep cooler so it can't really be linked to damaging the engine. Does anyone have experience with this?
BlueBimmer is offline   United_States
      01-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
135Pats
Can't decide....

Drives: 135i

Many mods don't directly contribute to engine power, that won't stop certain dealers from attempting to deny your warranty claims. My dealer hates my DCI, I have to take it off every time, yet they say nothing about the 7" intercooler or catless midpipes etc etc. Policies will vary by dealer, SA, and tech. "it is what it is".

Oh and a good FMIC will add whp up top in addition to helping with charge temps.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/RB Turbos/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
      01-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
boostaholic786
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 JB4 G5 ISO RB's FBO+40%E85

It all depends on what kind of relationship you have with your SA honestly... I had a buddy get his turbos replaced last week from my SA with his CPE intercooler and his STETT stage 2 oil cooler with no secondaries, and no muffler... He also still had his meth lines still ran but just tucked away to where it wasnt visible. Got his car back on Friday with brand new turbos and now just about to put everything back on . So really its all about your relationship with your SA and if the Technician working on your car is cool and either doesnt dig for a reason to deny or just lets it slide...
A/W E92 335i M-sport with JB4 G5 ISO/ E40 WEDGE PERFORMANCE BACKEND FLASH, Alpina TCU flash for AT/Switch-tronic +AR Downpipes, Stett gen 1 intake, Wagner-Tuning FMIC+RB Turbo setup/ RB PCV Valve+ Akro exhaust+60% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW coilovers, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@119mph on street tires) NO METH!
      01-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
135Pats
Can't decide....

Leaving meth lines in is a boss move. But ya just being polite to your sa will go miles, at least at my service center 80% of the people there are ripping their sa or being generally rude.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/RB Turbos/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
      01-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i

Being polite got me a long way. I still had the piggy installed (just disabled), the fuel sensor running in-line, and DCI's. I simply told them what I did ahead of time and asked them what would be an issue, and they told me what would be an issue (having the piggy enabled, for instance).

Always be polite to the people you're paying to fix your vehicle, especially when they have the upper hand!
Ferruccio is offline   United_States
      01-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Gugs
Cynical

Drives: E92 JetBlack

Lol how does the SA know anything ? He doesnt touch the car. Ever. Not even for a moment.
The tech is who informs the SA of anything/everything. Maybe you newbs need a relationship with them
Gugs is offline   United_States
      01-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
135Pats
Can't decide....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugs View Post
Lol how does the SA know anything ? He doesnt touch the car. Ever. Not even for a moment.
The tech is who informs the SA of anything/everything. Maybe you newbs need a relationship with them

Certainly true, but the SA is your advocate for warranty claims, last time I had my car in the tech wanted a part taken off before he'd do any work, and the SA asked him to let it slide. Not a whole lot you can do in terms of techs outside of finding one who doesn't mind and asking that he/she alone look at your car when its brought in.
      01-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
hemi to e90
dat boost doe

Drives: 10 335i, 12 a8, 14 899, 10 zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
Technically - an FMIC helps the engine keep cooler so it can't really be linked to damaging the engine. Does anyone have experience with this?
im assuming gold warranty means that you purchased an aftermarket warranty through your dealer?

if so, its not their call, if their rep comes out you get fucked. any argument is void with the aftermarket companies.

and ps, they will send some one out if theres over $500 in repairs.
      01-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast

Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
im assuming gold warranty means that you purchased an aftermarket warranty through your dealer?

if so, its not their call, if their rep comes out you get fucked. any argument is void with the aftermarket companies.

and ps, they will send some one out if theres over $500 in repairs.
Its not aftermarket, it's BMW's Gold Level Extended Vehicle Protection Contract - I bought it through a BMW dealer and I believe it's the same warranty that you get when you buy a CPO car.
BlueBimmer is offline   United_States
      01-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
eric@helix

Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

We've never seen a warranty claim denied because of an intercooler, but why push it? I find that dealerships are--for the most part--reasonable if you are reasonable with them. Talk first to the service advisor before bringing the car in and entering it into the system.
eric@helix is offline   United_States
      01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
135Pats
Can't decide....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post
We've never seen a warranty claim denied because of an intercooler, but why push it? I find that dealerships are--for the most part--reasonable if you are reasonable with them. Talk first to the service advisor before bringing the car in and entering it into the system.
Well put, just being honest and upfront with them about bolt ons can't hurt. Don't give anyone at the dealership a reason to dislike you, and an intercooler will likely cause no issues. It sounds obvious, but next time your at the service center just pause and listen for a few seconds, at least half of the people there are being quite rude and obnoxious.
      01-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
hemi to e90
dat boost doe

Drives: 10 335i, 12 a8, 14 899, 10 zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
Its not aftermarket, it's BMW's Gold Level Extended Vehicle Protection Contract - I bought it through a BMW dealer and I believe it's the same warranty that you get when you buy a CPO car.
CONTRACT ADMINISTRATOR: means the company appointed by us
to administer the Contract, United Service Protection Corporation, at 400
Carillon Parkway, Suite 300, St. Petersburg, FL 33716, 1-888-283-0912.
(California License Number 0D01816.)

its in the "service contract".

its not BMW, even though they are listed as the obligor.

link to the contract.