E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i rev drop on light throttle - problem returned

01-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
AngleseyCymru

Drives: 335i

335i rev drop on light throttle - problem returned

UPDATE! Problem now back, any help would be appreciated

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, bought myself a black manual 2010 335i (n55), and have been thoroughly enjoying with it!

A little bit more about me - I live in south Leeds. and previous cars include a daewoo lanos (x2 - totalled first one) mitsubishi charisma, ford focus diesel, skoda vrs, 525d and finally the 335i!

The reason for posting was that ever since buying the car (from bowker Blackburn) it was having some intermittent problems, including huge lag / delay, misfires along with the revs dropping from idle (650) to 500 on light throttle. This made it very difficult to drive, as slight throttle when starting would cause the car to stall. Initially I thought it was me, having come from a auto 525d for 10 months. However, after a time it stalled by itself, under no load - then I got worried. I did searches on google, that never found anything similar to my problem, then I tried an OBD bluetooth reader, that found no error codes.

Eventually I took it back there.

(please see the video below for a video if it happening (sorry about the vertical format!)

it turned out that it was a software / map problem, and they updated the software to the latest version (sorry don't know what version it is currently) and a "remap" according to them, but they couldn't elaborate further.

Since then it has been much better, with both the rev dropping and the throttle response fixed. It still seems to be misfiring when idle intermittently, and also having a tapping / diesel like clatter at 2k rpm when warm that can be felt through the gear stick, but at least we are one problem down!!

I just thought I might post so that if any one else gets the same problem, they can see what worked for me!

Last edited by AngleseyCymru; 01-06-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Problem back now
      01-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #2
windymissile
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i M Sport

JB4 on order...? Transforms the drive.
I'm local-ish. Willing to help with the install if you decide to go that way.
WM
      01-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
phil200tdi
Colonel

Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Change plugs.

Check the coils when you remove them..
      01-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
crypticc
Captain

Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Misfiring when using doesn't sound right. Do you know How many miles since plug change?
crypticc is offline   United Kingdom
      01-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
AngleseyCymru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticc View Post
Misfiring when using doesn't sound right. Do you know How many miles since plug change?
Well it's 3 years old, and done 18k total. However in the last year before I bought it has only done around 1-2k. I was concerned about the possible state of the plugs, given it hasn't done a lot of mileage in the last year, but was under the impression that at 18k they should still be ok....???

re the jb4, I had thought about it, still have 2 years of warranty on it however, so am still debating between it, and the very pricey PPK. Whilst I appreciate the JB4 is removable, and can delete the error codes, I hear the ECU still stores boost values and other information that might still incriminate, and in turn risk the warranty.
      01-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
AngleseyCymru

Problems back again :(

I just thought I would update the thread - the problems are all back again: fluctuating idle rpm, massive lag / delay, slow / deadened throttle response. I also find that wot, there is an initial responce, and then what appears to be a one or two second delay before the 'boost' appears to come in.

Naturally I'm very disappointed, as the software fix worked well for 2 days.

Before I take it back to the garage, Can any one on here offer any suggestions to a noob like me, as to what might be going on?? this problem is beginning to really ruin the fun of this car

thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by AngleseyCymru; 01-06-2014 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added info
      01-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
phil200tdi
Colonel

Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

What are the codes?

When you say lag, is the engine management light on? If so the turbo's will be disabled as a protection measure - no boost...

Take it back to the dealer or buy a BT cable to read the codes.
      01-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
AngleseyCymru

Thanks for your quick reply.

There are no lights on the dash. Unfortunately I don't have a bt cable, only a Bluetooth obd2 with my phone. This doesn't find any codes.

It appears as though the boost comes on eventually, it's just as though the the revs respond and climb very slowly. The throttle response is very deadened, full of lag.
      01-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
AzRiz
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 330d LCI

Using your BT OBD2 reader, can you log the air mass meter (MAF sensor)? The symptoms you describe would often equate to MAF issues on a VAG 1.8t which I know very well so I would suggest taking a look. On the VAG, a problematic MAF does not throw any error codes but the readings are really low.
The other common problem with these symptoms was a dirty throttle body, maybe take a look at that and give it a quick clean?

Sorry if these suggestions are useless for the 335i

Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
      01-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #10
CustomColours
Banned

Drives: 335i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngleseyCymru View Post
Well it's 3 years old, and done 18k total. However in the last year before I bought it has only done around 1-2k. I was concerned about the possible state of the plugs, given it hasn't done a lot of mileage in the last year, but was under the impression that at 18k they should still be ok....???

re the jb4, I had thought about it, still have 2 years of warranty on it however, so am still debating between it, and the very pricey PPK. Whilst I appreciate the JB4 is removable, and can delete the error codes, I hear the ECU still stores boost values and other information that might still incriminate, and in turn risk the warranty.
The jb4 deletes tuner codes aswell. Bmw are never going to look for boost values unless something goes tits up big time. Even then I doubt they will.

If you had a jb4 all this would be easier for you. You could read codes properly. That obd reader and app wont read codes from your car if it anything like mine. Or you could log the car and send it to terry at bmw and he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Jb4 should be the number one mod imo.
      01-07-2014, 02:08 AM   #11
Sparky68
Brigadier General

Drives: e90 335i JB4

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Could be boost solenoids or wastegate related.
      01-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #12
djgandy
Major

Drives: E92 335i MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
From the video I can't see what the problem is except a pretty rough idle? Idling around 550 is quite normal. I assume you are pressing the pedal at the start?

One thing I can think of is maybe you have something pressing the throttle pedal on startup? This happened to me on an old 1 series and it caused the computer to get a bit confused with regards to where throttle off was and made it a bit lumpy down in the idle revs. It was actually the mats slightly pressing the pedal after it had been cleaned by someone else. Sounds really stupid and implausible but moving them off the pedal got rid of the problem
      01-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #13
AngleseyCymru

Thanks for all of your replies, I appreciate your help.

As for the video, when you notice the revs dropping is when I press the throttle, and when it climbs back up is when I leg go of the throttle.

I have managed to book the car back in with bmw to get them to look at it. When I spoke to them again today, they confirmed that the car didn't have any fault codes logged when they saw it. My preliminary logging today shows the only problem to be a delay of around 1 second for the Boost to build up to 8psi under wot (I presume this is abnormal?)

I will update the thread with any findings bmw make.
      01-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #14
AngleseyCymru

Update - As stated I would update the thread with BMW findings.

After going back a further 3 times, they appear to have found the problem, as per phil200tdi's post, I asked them to check the coils / plugs (as haven't got the technical knowledge to do it myself) and they found evidence of water ingress in the cylinder 5 and 6, so they've changed all the plugs / plugs and 2 of the injectors, and now the car seems back to normal (for the time being any way!)

So thanks everyone for all of your help!