E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What to check next?

01-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
swalsh19
Rep
Drives: 335D

What to check next?

I have a 2009 335D that when I hit some bumps I can hear a clunking sound in the front suspension. I thought it was a strut mount but I have changed my front struts and mounts already. My tires don't show any abnormal wear to point me in a faulty balljoint. Is it possible it is the steering rack itself making all the noise?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 11:22 PM   #2
n55jb4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalsh19 View Post
I have a 2009 335D that when I hit some bumps I can hear a clunking sound in the front suspension. I thought it was a strut mount but I have changed my front struts and mounts already. My tires don't show any abnormal wear to point me in a faulty balljoint. Is it possible it is the steering rack itself making all the noise?
If it was your daily driver car for some time and you just got some single issue - we could try to diagnose it or pinpoint the location, but since you just bought the car as I understand and already have lots of issues (including your thread about steering issue) I would suggest to take it to a local indy shop diagnostics for them to lift the car and properly check everything suspension related and steering. Have you done that before you bought your car (I'm assuming not, but still)?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
swalsh19
Rep
Drives: 335D

Oh no this is my daily driver. Ive put 120k on it since i got it. Thats why i did the struts. One was completely worn out other was about half vompated to the new bilsteins.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #4
n55jb4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalsh19 View Post
Oh no this is my daily driver. Ive put 120k on it since i got it. Thats why i did the struts. One was completely worn out other was about half vompated to the new bilsteins.
Oh gotcha! I saw you have only 5 posts and for some reason I thought you just bought it lol my bad. Hopefully some knowledgeable forum members will join discussion to help you out. Try posting this at Suspension sub-forum - you'll get more to the point responses
Appreciate 0