E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > X-drive + summer tires in winter...how goes it?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
bman5150
Private First Class
2
Rep
152
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i XDrive
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cowtown

iTrader: (0)

X-drive + summer tires in winter...how goes it?

I'm looking at a used 335i with the msport package, which comes with the staggered msport rims and summer tires. I test drove it in some cold weather and was surprised how well it behaved. The car is CPO so the tires are brand new OEM summer RFTs. I would like to avoid immediately having to go out and get another set of tires right after buing the car. Anyone else run these tires in the winter? I ran summer tires on my current rwd car for exactly one 4" snow....death trap!

Also might as well ask another question...if i end p getting this car my eventual plan would be to replace the summer tires with a quality set of ultra high performance all season non-RF tires. What does everyone with xdrive and msport run? Do you carry a tire nflation kit or did you just get a cheap spare and throw it in the trunk for long trips?

Thanks!
__________________
2011 BMW 335i XDrive Msport (auto)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Blubaron79
Colonel
Blubaron79's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
2,586
Posts

Drives: '15 335 XDrive
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

I have the staggered set up with xDrive. I run all seasons in the winter, and summers in the summer. You do not want to drive the summer tires below 40F. The tires are made of a soft compound that becomes hard like a hockey puck in the cold. In a cold rain you can even slide in a turn.
__________________
'15 335 XDrive: Glacier Silver, MSport, 19's, every option (except ACC and DAP), MPPK, MPE, black grille, splitter, side sills, CF Spoiler, clear bra.
Previous: '14 435 F32 xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Braumin
First Lieutenant
6
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Regina, SK, CAN

iTrader: (0)

It depends what you mean by summer tires. If they are true summer tires, you won't have any traction at all. If they are all season, they will be OK. Not great, but OK. X-Drive doesn't break any laws of physics or anything. AWD and 4WD can give some drivers overconfidence in the slippery stuff which is unfortunate for them. It's great for getting off the line and through snow, but it doesn't help you stop or corner. Only your tires can help there. AWD doesn't mean you can drive 60 mph on a slippery highway.

If you get any amount of snowfall though, invest in some winter tires and rims. You won't regret it. It seems like a lot of money, but it's not. You can get a set of rims and winter run flat tires for like $1200 on TireRack. I got Dunlop WinterSport 3D tires and I am very happy with them, and we've had a pile of snow so far this winter. It saves your summer rims from the abuse of the salted roads and potholes, and of course makes your summer tires last longer.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
CombatNinja
Banned
CombatNinja's Avatar
19
Rep
1,587
Posts

Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Bridgestone Runflats are completely useless in the snow. It doesn't matter if you have 10 wheel-drive if none of the wheels have any traction.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
228
Rep
11,478
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

+100,000,000.
It's all about the shoes. X-drive is useless if you can't even gain the traction to move forward.

Don't be "that guy." Pony up for some winter wheels and tires. You'll ruin your summers, and 19"s on significant cold and snow will get you in a world of shit. Quick.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
klov335
Lieutenant
Canada
7
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: e90 lci n55 xdrive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Yellowknife, NT

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to klov335
yup i tested summer tires at -30 and its dangerous.. nono plz
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Speedwagon
First Lieutenant
Speedwagon's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
366
Posts

Drives: Sportwagon
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Probably not a good idea to run summers below 35*. You will need some all season or some winter tires if it get down around freezing where you live. I read one of the post above that stated that Xdrive doesn't help in a turn that isn't true, it does help by sending power to wheels that have traction, so it is helping.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
upstatedoc
Drone Expert
upstatedoc's Avatar
103
Rep
1,702
Posts

Drives: '09 BMW 328ix
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crisp, Baconia

iTrader: (2)

__________________
2014 S.S. P938 Nightmare
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
straightcashhomie's Avatar
16
Rep
558
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: home

iTrader: (1)

using summer tires for winter.... is like turning on your ac for the winter and expecting heat.. okay not a good analogy but u get the point
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Wonka
Racer 5
Wonka's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
823
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 335i xDrive M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MD

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
Also might as well ask another question...if i end p getting this car my eventual plan would be to replace the summer tires with a quality set of ultra high performance all season non-RF tires. What does everyone with xdrive and msport run? Do you carry a tire nflation kit or did you just get a cheap spare and throw it in the trunk for long trips?

Thanks!
I have the BMW Mobility Kit stored next to the toolkit. In over 3 years of ownership, thankfully I have never used it. For the summer, I have an aftermarket set of wheels with Hankook Ventus V-12 k110 tires. For winter, I use my stock 193M wheels and Blizzaks.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
morphius909
Lieutenant
morphius909's Avatar
7
Rep
546
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 Xi Special Edition-JB
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
It depends what you mean by summer tires. If they are true summer tires, you won't have any traction at all. If they are all season, they will be OK. Not great, but OK. X-Drive doesn't break any laws of physics or anything. AWD and 4WD can give some drivers overconfidence in the slippery stuff which is unfortunate for them. It's great for getting off the line and through snow, but it doesn't help you stop or corner. Only your tires can help there. AWD doesn't mean you can drive 60 mph on a slippery highway.

If you get any amount of snowfall though, invest in some winter tires and rims. You won't regret it. It seems like a lot of money, but it's not. You can get a set of rims and winter run flat tires for like $1200 on TireRack. I got Dunlop WinterSport 3D tires and I am very happy with them, and we've had a pile of snow so far this winter. It saves your summer rims from the abuse of the salted roads and potholes, and of course makes your summer tires last longer.
+1
__________________


2011 335i X Drive Special Edition-Jerez Black
35% Tint All Around / 3M Rockguard / Weathertech/ PPK2 / 18&12mm Spacers/Lux H8 V3
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
The X Men
Colonel
34
Rep
2,145
Posts

Drives: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

About the only thing worst in the snow than X-drive with summer tires is RWD with summer tires. Even RWD BMW with all seasons are not that good in the snow, I have seen them get stuck in the slightest hill. If you plan to drive in the snow at all and you do want to spend the extra money for X-drive, then you need to buy a set of snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Tom K.
Major General
Tom K.'s Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
5,439
Posts

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
Bridgestone Runflats are completely useless in the snow. It doesn't matter if you have 10 wheel-drive if none of the wheels have any traction.
Absolute nonsense!

Check out the 4 Bridgestone Blizzak RFTs for starters.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
gunsekun
Banned
10
Rep
714
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: your mom's

iTrader: (0)

you dont wanna risk a 40k car just to save some money by not investing in a $1000 winter llantas
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
34
Rep
1,926
Posts

Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Trust me, you don't want to drive with summers even with an xi. I have x-drive and have mich ss summers and Mich alpine p3 winters(I forget) and its hard in the northeast (Pittsburgh) to know when to make the change since november can be warm or snowy. I left mine on till the beginning of december and we got a dusting of snow. I took the car 500 feet to an empty parking lot and it's insane how easily the tires broke traction, anything more than feathering the throttle and I was sliding. I changed the tires that weekend.

Please don't endanger yourself and others on the road by thinking you can get away with summers. Spend $900 on cheap rims and tires from tire rack since you'll probably have this car for a few years and you'll definitely get your moneys worth.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
64
Rep
4,017
Posts

Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

in snow summer tires are useless, in low temps...say 30s, it would probably depend on which summer tires you have. i am 100% against summer tires in winter, but i was surprised how good my Hankook V12s were in 30s (on dry road of cause)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
93
Rep
6,813
Posts

Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Don't do it. Just get dedicated winters. If you end up hitting the snow with the summers (although I wouldn't recommend it for a second), get out after a bit and feel the surface of your tires. Rock hard and slippery as hell, along with the fact that the snow has now packed itself into all your tread, creating a tire with a completely smooth surface. That's not ideal.

Don't forget you still have to be able to stop and x-drive does nothing to help that.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
43
Rep
3,607
Posts

Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
I have the staggered set up with xDrive. I run all seasons in the winter, and summers in the summer. You do not want to drive the summer tires below 40F. The tires are made of a soft compound that becomes hard like a hockey puck in the cold. In a cold rain you can even slide in a turn.
Why would you do that? Why not dedicated winters in the winter? Makes NO sense whatsoever. From 25 MPH a car on all season takes about 25' longer to stop than same car on dedicated winters.Have fun sliding through an intersection . Thats a FACT.
Ultra high performance all season? That makes no sense too.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #19
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
43
Rep
3,607
Posts

Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Trust me, you don't want to drive with summers even with an xi. I have x-drive and have mich ss summers and Mich alpine p3 winters(I forget) and its hard in the northeast (Pittsburgh) to know when to make the change since november can be warm or snowy. I left mine on till the beginning of december and we got a dusting of snow. I took the car 500 feet to an empty parking lot and it's insane how easily the tires broke traction, anything more than feathering the throttle and I was sliding. I changed the tires that weekend.

Please don't endanger yourself and others on the road by thinking you can get away with summers. Spend $900 on cheap rims and tires from tire rack since you'll probably have this car for a few years and you'll definitely get your moneys worth.
Well said. You will go through two sets of tires in the life of your car so why not do it properly? Ever notice how many SUVs you see off the road.....theyre on All Season.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
smallseafishie
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,770
Posts

Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta GA

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
You'll have more tread wear on your new summer tires in cold weather too...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #21
The X Men
Colonel
34
Rep
2,145
Posts

Drives: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Ever notice how many SUVs you see off the road.....theyre on All Season.
I agree, if you dont know how to drive in the snow, RWD with snow is a better choice, its idiot proof.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
93
Rep
6,813
Posts

Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
RWD with snow is a better choice, its idiot proof.
I'd hardly call it idiot proof, but yeah....
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST