E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW performance suspension questions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
BaseM3
Private First Class
 
BaseM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Space Grey M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jacksonville fl

Posts: 138
iTrader: (1)

BMW performance suspension questions

Hello everyone:
I am new to this board but have owned BMW's for over 30 years (showing my age here) starting with the original 320i, e30 318i, e36 325i, e36 M3 (preserved in my garage) and e60 545i.
Have recently purchased a 08 335i with the sport package. Along with it came a performance suspension kit, I believe it's the "old version". The kit has the shocks and hardware but no springs or sway bars, although it has the rubber sway bar supports.
I've done searches on the boards but have not found the answers to the following:

1) Apparently this kit is designed to work with the sport (ZSP) springs. Will it lower the car any? I really want to keep it the same height for clearance getting in and out of my steep driveway to prevent scraping the front and rear end.

2) Are there sway bars supposed to be with this kit since it has the rubber supports, Or which ones should I purchase to reduce body roll, although there seems very little with the SP suspension?

3) How much difference in ride stiffness? Anything near the e36 M3? I've read on the boards that there is very little difference from the OEM sport suspension. Should I even go through the trouble of installing it if there's no difference?
Thanks.
BaseM3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
DaanBMW
Lieutenant
 
DaanBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328i coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 401
iTrader: (1)

1) same springs -> no lowering

2) sway bars are incl only if it goes on non-ZSP car. So for you no sways.

3) From I've read the dampers are stiffer then the ZSP ones, plus then bumpstops are longer thus it'll feel quite a bit stiffer. But is all 2nd hand, I do not have this setup.
__________________
328i Sports Pkg, Michelin PSS on Staggered 18" OZ Ultraleggeras
. BMS Powerbox. Cyba scoops + charcoal delete. Wavetrac LSD
. M3: subframe bushings + sways + control arms. Meyle rear toe arms. M3 diff fr bushings
. BMW Perf: springs + v1 dampers
. Short Shifter + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete.
DaanBMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
cssnms
Brigadier General
 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

Posts: 3,180
iTrader: (4)

Answers above. How many miles on your 335? If they are new, they would make a good replacement shock for your zsp shocks. I am running them now, nice shocks.
cssnms is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
luckyu
Lieutenant
 
luckyu's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California

Posts: 423
iTrader: (1)

Nowhere near E36 M3 in stiffness. The perf kit is a modest increase in stiffness from the sports suspension.
__________________
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
luckyu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
AlanAZ
Captain
 
AlanAZ's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i sport manual
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Posts: 796
iTrader: (4)

I have the old Performance package on my original ZSP springs and front sway, installed at 72,000 mls when the original shocks/struts were going away.

1. It does not lower the car with ZSP springs. Bmw lowering Performance springs is an option.

2. The package has an optional stiffer 14 mm rear sway bar (stock is 13 mm) to reduce understeer. I have this on my car, and it works well with the Performance shocks and struts, very balanced now between front and rear. I highly recommend you install it. There should be a pair of 14 mm bushings in the kit.

3. It is stiffer, but not too much. It also depends on where you live, the roads in Scottsdale are good, but driving the car in Tucson where they are not, would drive me crazy. With the sway, the handling is light years better, after the install, I found myself driving 10 mph faster than before on the side streets of where I live because the car was that much more competent.

Comes with shorter bumpstops to be used with the shorter performance springs (which I'm not using.)
AlanAZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
luckyu
Lieutenant
 
luckyu's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California

Posts: 423
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
I have the old Performance package on my original ZSP springs and front sway, installed at 72,000 mls when the original shocks/struts were going away.

1. It does not lower the car with ZSP springs. Bmw lowering Performance springs is an option.

2. The package has an optional stiffer 14 mm rear sway bar (stock is 13 mm) to reduce understeer. I have this on my car, and it works well with the Performance shocks and struts, very balanced now between front and rear. I highly recommend you install it. There should be a pair of 14 mm bushings in the kit.

3. It is stiffer, but not too much. It also depends on where you live, the roads in Scottsdale are good, but driving the car in Tucson where they are not, would drive me crazy. With the sway, the handling is light years better, after the install, I found myself driving 10 mph faster than before on the side streets of where I live because the car was that much more competent.

Comes with shorter bumpstops to be used with the shorter performance springs (which I'm not using.)
Great info. Your old perf kit bump stops were shorter than ZSP? The ones in my kit were longer!
__________________
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
luckyu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
tscdennab
Banned
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe

Posts: 1,811
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
Sorry, but nothing is optional on the BMW Performance suspension. BMW Performance Suspension REQUIRES BMW Performance springs, but of course no one can stop you from installing it using your stock springs, although it will not function as designed. The kit does not come with springs because there are many spring combinations, depending on the car's engine, sedan/coupe, etc. All have probably the same spring rates (significantly different than M-Sport or ZSP) but different lengths in order to achieve the same drop and support different axle loads. If you look at realoem.com, it is specifically stated "Only with springs, see springs table". In order to choose the Performance springs for a specific car, the dealer should add the option code "SZP5A" to the car and the correct BMW Performance Springs can be selected.

The stabilizer bars are also not optional. They are included/excluded depending on the model (engine, chassis, existing M-Sport suspension, etc.). If you look at realoem.com, only the M-Sport cars require a new rear stabilizer bar. The front stabilizer bar seems to be included in the kit.

All the cars equipped with a correctly installed BMW Performance suspension are behaving the same.

Last edited by tscdennab; 01-08-2012 at 08:32 AM.
tscdennab is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
123Britt
07 X5 3.0si & 07 335i 6Mt
 
Drives: 07 335i - SILVER Sport 6MT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Madison, Alabama

Posts: 292
iTrader: (0)

Old Vs New Perf Suspension

The OLD PERF did come with dampners and bumperstops that were ment to be used with ZSP Springs. The current PERF SUSPENSION is designed to be used with the YELLOW Springs.
.
.
APPLES to ORANGES
123Britt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
AlanAZ
Captain
 
AlanAZ's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i sport manual
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Posts: 796
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Sorry, but nothing is optional on the BMW Performance suspension. BMW Performance Suspension REQUIRES BMW Performance springs
When I ordered the OLD Performance suspension kit from Tischer, using them with my existing ZSP springs was a valid config, and I additionally ordered the 14 mm rear sway, in my mind that makes it optional.

Perhaps you're thinking of the NEW Performance suspension kit, the heavier front sway is a component of the new kit.

Quote:
Your old perf kit bump stops were shorter than ZSP?
Yes, shorter and fatter. I used the front ones with lowering perches.

Last edited by AlanAZ; 01-08-2012 at 05:21 PM.
AlanAZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
BaseM3
Private First Class
 
BaseM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Space Grey M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jacksonville fl

Posts: 138
iTrader: (1)

Thanks for everyones responses and answers to my questions. This a great board!

The car has 54k on it and the suspension really feels fine right now and i'll get the most out of it than I can. I'll use the performance set when needed probably in another 20K. Is there any major differences in the strut and shock replacement procedures from the older e36 chassis? That was pretty straight forward.
BaseM3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #11
Dustin335i
Dustin335i
 
Dustin335i's Avatar
 
Drives: Barberarot 335i Sport Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Downingtown, PA

Posts: 39
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
I just installed BMW Part #33 50 0 429 574 (BMW Performance Suspension, shocks, struts, hardware, mounting brackets for thicker swaybar) on my 08, e92 BMW 335i sport.

I installed them with H&R Sport springs. The performance is phenomenal, but I'm hearing SOME NOISE UP FRONT! Could I be bottoming out? It did come with longer bump stops than my stock ZSP suspension.

anyone have a solution? It drives great; just doesn't sound correct, so far. Should I put my old ZSP (shorter, thus allowing more strut travel) bump stops back in, up front?
__________________
Dustin335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #12
tscdennab
Banned
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe

Posts: 1,811
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin328i View Post
I just installed BMW Part #33 50 0 429 574 (BMW Performance Suspension, shocks, struts, hardware, mounting brackets for thicker swaybar) on my 08, e92 BMW 335i sport.

I installed them with H&R Sport springs. The performance is phenomenal, but I'm hearing SOME NOISE UP FRONT! Could I be bottoming out? It did come with longer bump stops than my stock ZSP suspension.

anyone have a solution? It drives great; just doesn't sound correct, so far. Should I put my old ZSP (shorter, thus allowing more strut travel) bump stops back in, up front?
Definitely put the shorter bump stops back. And while you are at it, measure the strut shaft length in the extended position and compare it to the length of your original strut shaft length. If they are the same, the shorter bump stops should solve the problem.
tscdennab is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
Dustin335i
Dustin335i
 
Dustin335i's Avatar
 
Drives: Barberarot 335i Sport Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Downingtown, PA

Posts: 39
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
alright, sounds like a plan; thanks a lot. I plan to do it today.

Do you see any harm with very carefully (with Xacto knife) cutting the current bumpstops down to the size of the original bump stops- while they are assembled on the car? This could save me 4 hours, or more, in taking apart the struts again. If not; I'll just tear them apart again.
__________________
Dustin335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
cvc 22349a
Colonel
 
cvc 22349a's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

Posts: 2,226
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
When I ordered the OLD Performance suspension kit from Tischer, using them with my existing ZSP springs was a valid config, and I additionally ordered the 14 mm rear sway, in my mind that makes it optional.

Perhaps you're thinking of the NEW Performance suspension kit, the heavier front sway is a component of the new kit.



Yes, shorter and fatter. I used the front ones with lowering perches.
The 'old' PS kit came with taller/stiffer bumpstops to be used with zsp springs. The shorter/fatter stops are to be used with the yellow PS springs.
When did you get your PS kit? It seems like most folks have purchased their 'old' and 'new' PS kits from Tischer and they've kind of made a mess of it..
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
cvc 22349a is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
cvc 22349a
Colonel
 
cvc 22349a's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

Posts: 2,226
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin328i View Post
I just installed BMW Part #33 50 0 429 574 (BMW Performance Suspension, shocks, struts, hardware, mounting brackets for thicker swaybar) on my 08, e92 BMW 335i sport.

I installed them with H&R Sport springs. The performance is phenomenal, but I'm hearing SOME NOISE UP FRONT! Could I be bottoming out? It did come with longer bump stops than my stock ZSP suspension.

anyone have a solution? It drives great; just doesn't sound correct, so far. Should I put my old ZSP (shorter, thus allowing more strut travel) bump stops back in, up front?
I wouldn't use the taller/firmer bumpstops from that kit with H&R sport springs. You're riding on the stops. I wouldn't trim them either; they're used as progressive rate springs. Check out the thread by 'jwong'. I'd use the e36m3/z4 bumpstops he used OR you can get the 'new' PS bumpstops seperate from the kit now from Dan@UnitedBMW-he's a 1addicts forum vendor..
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
cvc 22349a is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
tscdennab
Banned
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe

Posts: 1,811
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin328i View Post
Do you see any harm with very carefully (with Xacto knife) cutting the current bumpstops down to the size of the original bump stops- while they are assembled on the car? This could save me 4 hours, or more, in taking apart the struts again. If not; I'll just tear them apart again.
I don't see a problem. Even some aftermarket suspensions require cutting the bump stops, it's written in their instructions. But thinking about it, I see it as a bit dangerous to cut them on the shafts. If you scratch the shaft even one bit the shock may begin to leak oil between the shaft and the shock seal (in time). I don't think it's a good idea.
tscdennab is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
 
DieselDiner's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Home

Posts: 1,514
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
The OLD PERF did come with dampers and bumperstops that were meant to be used with ZSP Springs. The current PERF SUSPENSION is designed to be used with the YELLOW Springs.
.
.
APPLES to ORANGES
x2 This is exactly correct - OP, please don't let the incorrect post confuse you.
DieselDiner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
Dustin335i
Dustin335i
 
Dustin335i's Avatar
 
Drives: Barberarot 335i Sport Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Downingtown, PA

Posts: 39
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Hey guys; thanks for your help. I discovered this evening (with a fresh set of eyes after taking a suspension break, from the weekend) that I had a very slight; but equally serious, mis-mounted shock tower.

All that to say; a quick 35 minutes later this evening (and some serious peace of mind), my car handles perfectly and with no audible suspension noise. I mistook the mis-mounted passenger shock tower for both struts... I could have sworn the noise was coming from both.

I noted all your suggestions about the bump stops... I haven't decided what I'll go with, but at least I'm not currently going insane.

cvc 22349a; I still can't tell which Performance Set version I bought! It's so confusing, even after endless hours online...
__________________
Dustin335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #19
Dustin335i
Dustin335i
 
Dustin335i's Avatar
 
Drives: Barberarot 335i Sport Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Downingtown, PA

Posts: 39
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
cvc 22349a, thanks for the feedback about the kit versions. I think you probably could answer that question better than anyone at BMW headquarters, NA.

I didn't buy the kit from Tischer, so it's even more of a mystery, haha. I bought it from a Euro-parts wholesaler for a price I couldn't pass up . Now, I realize I would have paid more, given the responsiveness.

You don't have pics of both bumpstops available, do you? I'm curious to know if i'm running the shorter or longer...
__________________
Dustin335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
BaseM3
Private First Class
 
BaseM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Space Grey M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jacksonville fl

Posts: 138
iTrader: (1)

I have the original (old) kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
I have the old Performance package on my original ZSP springs and front sway, installed at 72,000 mls when the original shocks/struts were going away.

1. It does not lower the car with ZSP springs. Bmw lowering Performance springs is an option.

2. The package has an optional stiffer 14 mm rear sway bar (stock is 13 mm) to reduce understeer. I have this on my car, and it works well with the Performance shocks and struts, very balanced now between front and rear. I highly recommend you install it. There should be a pair of 14 mm bushings in the kit.

3. It is stiffer, but not too much. It also depends on where you live, the roads in Scottsdale are good, but driving the car in Tucson where they are not, would drive me crazy. With the sway, the handling is light years better, after the install, I found myself driving 10 mph faster than before on the side streets of where I live because the car was that much more competent.

Comes with shorter bumpstops to be used with the shorter performance springs (which I'm not using.)
The kit did come with new bushings for the stabilizer. Anybody have the part# for the 14mm bar? I can't find it on the OEM part site.
So the stops that came the kit should only be used with the shorter springs. I should order the bump stops for the sports suspension if I want to replace them?

Last edited by BaseM3; 01-23-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Found the answer to one of my questions about the stabilizer PN
BaseM3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
Evan@Tischer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Evan@Tischer's Avatar
 
Drives: Honda Ridgeline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Silver Spring, MD

Posts: 4,617
iTrader: (45)

Send a message via AIM to Evan@Tischer
Quote:
The 'old' PS kit came with taller/stiffer bumpstops to be used with zsp springs. The shorter/fatter stops are to be used with the yellow PS springs.
When did you get your PS kit? It seems like most folks have purchased their 'old' and 'new' PS kits from Tischer and they've kind of made a mess of it..
Who has made a mess of it?? The 'mess' and confusion comes from forum threads typically....especially when guys don't go by exactly what BMW recommends for the required parts...or when guys put together custom kits w/ aftermarket parts.

The original kit was to be used with zsp springs and sways; the new kit is to be used w/ the yellow bmw performance springs, and includes its own front sway.

Also vehicles produced prior to 6/2006 were recommended to upgrade to the newer guide supports.

We can now order the front bumpstops from the newer kit - 31336789540, $15.18 ea

The 14mm rear sway is 33556764426.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.
__________________
Evan Winstead
Internet Parts Manager, getBMWparts.com

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Evan at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube

Last edited by Evan@Tischer; 01-23-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Evan@Tischer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #22
BaseM3
Private First Class
 
BaseM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Space Grey M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jacksonville fl

Posts: 138
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan@Tischer View Post
Who has made a mess of it?? The 'mess' and confusion comes from forum threads typically....especially when guys don't go by exactly what BMW recommends for the required parts...or when guys put together custom kits w/ aftermarket parts.

The original kit was to be used with zsp springs and sways; the new kit is to be used w/ the yellow bmw performance springs, and includes its own front sway.

Also vehicles produced prior to 6/2006 were recommended to upgrade to the newer guide supports.

We can now order the front bumpstops from the newer kit - 31336789540, $15.18 ea

The 14mm rear sway is 33556764426.


Let us know if you have any additional questions.
Thanks, My car is a 9/2007 build date. I plan going with the 14mm bar. Do I need to also order the rubber bushings for the 14mm bar or can I used the ones that came with the "old' kit?
BaseM3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
suspension, tischer

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST