E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335IS muffler on 335xi?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
holmes011
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

Posts: 413
iTrader: (0)

335IS muffler on 335xi?

my question is will this work? I've searched and i can't find anything that has definitively confirmed this. What i have found are a bunch of arguments of what is better, IS or BMW PE. Having never heard a PE exhaust i can't compare but I've heard an IS and it sounds amazing to me. I was wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me if a 335 with IS mufflers (like the ones sold by tischer) sounds just like the 335IS? Any insight is appreciated. To me it seems that i'd be perfectly fine with it sounding like an IS, i don't care about the noise level, I'm more interested in the noise itself. On top of that it seems well worth it to go IS mufflers since it is half the price of the PE exhaust.
holmes011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
holmes011
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

Posts: 413
iTrader: (0)

Bump
holmes011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Envuks
Captain
 
Envuks's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 710
iTrader: (2)

In theory, I *think* the rear of the cars should be identical. I haven't heard of anyone doing this though
__________________
Jet black e92 6mt 335xi:

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Envuks is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,138
iTrader: (2)

Yes it works. Yes it will fit. Yes it will sound exactly like a 335iS. It's mufflers, so AWD or RWD dousn't make any difference.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
holmes011
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

Posts: 413
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
In theory, I *think* the rear of the cars should be identical. I haven't heard of anyone doing this though
Me neither and it scares me bc it seems like a good idea so why hasn't anyone tried it...?
holmes011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
holmes011
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

Posts: 413
iTrader: (0)

can anyone else back it up that it will fit?
holmes011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
bigdaddycane
Finally....Winter is over :)
 
bigdaddycane's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Va

Posts: 2,183
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
live boldly....install the "is" mufflers and report back to us!
__________________

G5 ISO|BMS Flash|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
bigdaddycane is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
manolooo
Private First Class
 
Drives: '09 E92 xdrive
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Neutral Zone

Posts: 103
iTrader: (0)

It works. I had mine installed today
manolooo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
ken1137
Brigadier General
 
ken1137's Avatar
 
Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 3,433
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Yes, it will work. None of the exhaust vendors sell specific 'ix' and 'i' exhaust so it should be fine. I installed the 'is' exhaust on my 335i...love the sound especially since I also installed AR DPs. Install is very simple, cut and clamp. The only problem is the tips stick out too far so I'm going to have to change the tips. I think the 335is bumper & diffuser are a bit longer versus the 335i & ix. I just need to figure out if I have to cut and weld, or if the black tips just pull off, but this will have to wait for Spring.
__________________

BMWCCA member
ken1137 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
holmes011
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

Posts: 413
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolooo View Post
It works. I had mine installed today
how was fitment? did it stick out too far? How does it sound? any clips?
holmes011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
KdoubleU
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Therefore I am.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ/PA

Posts: 203
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolooo View Post
It works. I had mine installed today
+1 picked up my car today and it works just fine. Love the sound, don't expect gains.
__________________

OEM 359M|KWv1|JB4|AR DP|335is Exhaust|CYBA Tips|Arkym Front|BMW Perf Steering Wheel|BMW Perf Spoiler|M5 Shift knob Retrofit|LCI Tails|V1|Lux
KdoubleU is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
shortseller
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 527
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011 View Post
my question is will this work? I've searched and i can't find anything that has definitively confirmed this. What i have found are a bunch of arguments of what is better, IS or BMW PE. Having never heard a PE exhaust i can't compare but I've heard an IS and it sounds amazing to me. I was wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me if a 335 with IS mufflers (like the ones sold by tischer) sounds just like the 335IS? Any insight is appreciated. To me it seems that i'd be perfectly fine with it sounding like an IS, i don't care about the noise level, I'm more interested in the noise itself. On top of that it seems well worth it to go IS mufflers since it is half the price of the PE exhaust.
Gee, here's a thought that will take all the fun out of BMW parts roulette, ask Tischer before you place the order.
shortseller is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
holmes011
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

Posts: 413
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Gee, here's a thought that will take all the fun out of BMW parts roulette, ask Tischer before you place the order.
hey I like your sarcasm and i bet you felt good about yourself as you wrote that but i already did and they said they couldn't say for sure and that I should ask the forums
holmes011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
Fun w/N54
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: '11 E92 335is AW/CR/DCT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: WI

Posts: 355
iTrader: (0)

So what is MSRP and PN for the 'is' muffler setup?
Fun w/N54 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
holmes011
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

Posts: 413
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun w/N54 View Post
So what is MSRP and PN for the 'is' muffler setup?
695 on tischer
holmes011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
 
BMWM.D.'s Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i & C6 Grand Sport
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Barbara

Posts: 681
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011 View Post
my question is will this work? I've searched and i can't find anything that has definitively confirmed this. What i have found are a bunch of arguments of what is better, IS or BMW PE. Having never heard a PE exhaust i can't compare but I've heard an IS and it sounds amazing to me. I was wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me if a 335 with IS mufflers (like the ones sold by tischer) sounds just like the 335IS? Any insight is appreciated. To me it seems that i'd be perfectly fine with it sounding like an IS, i don't care about the noise level, I'm more interested in the noise itself. On top of that it seems well worth it to go IS mufflers since it is half the price of the PE exhaust.
I've actually been considering doing this as well since I happen to have an extra driver's side "is" muffler sitting around. Would just need to buy a passenger side muffler.

Is your car an E90? If so, then it probably won't fit or sound like a 335is. Whether your car is XDrive or not shouldn't matter, but the exhaust tips are usually longer on E92 Coupes . So you might need to cut down the pipes before the tips so it looks right.

Other than that, the E90 sedans have a resonator that makes them quieter than the E92/E93, which have an X-pipe instead. To get a true 335is sound, you'd need to remove the E90 resonator and install an X-pipe in it's place. If you've ever compared the exhaust sound of a regular 335i coupe and sedan, that's the reason the coupe's are always louder.

If you try it out let us know. I would have done it already, but I hate the "sleeve" clamps BMW provides to swap mufflers. I would have my exhaust guy weld them in for me for a factory look and fit. That's just me, though.
__________________
BMWM.D. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
holmes011
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

Posts: 413
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I've actually been considering doing this as well since I happen to have an extra driver's side "is" muffler sitting around. Would just need to buy a passenger side muffler.

Is your car an E90? If so, then it probably won't fit or sound like a 335is. Whether your car is XDrive or not shouldn't matter, but the exhaust tips are usually longer on E92 Coupes . So you might need to cut down the pipes before the tips so it looks right.

Other than that, the E90 sedans have a resonator that makes them quieter than the E92/E93, which have an X-pipe instead. To get a true 335is sound, you'd need to remove the E90 resonator and install an X-pipe in it's place. If you've ever compared the exhaust sound of a regular 335i coupe and sedan, that's the reason the coupe's are always louder.

If you try it out let us know. I would have done it already, but I hate the "sleeve" clamps BMW provides to swap mufflers. I would have my exhaust guy weld them in for me for a factory look and fit. That's just me, though.


i have an e92
holmes011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
shortseller
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 527
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011 View Post
hey I like your sarcasm and i bet you felt good about yourself as you wrote that but i already did and they said they couldn't say for sure and that I should ask the forums
Well, I did...but more so in a helpful way.

But in any event, and if that's the case, my apologies. I actually knew that answer, as I too had called Tischer BMW to ask and told the same thing. I just didn't want you to be mislead by hearsay or guessing here on the site, as happens more than not. So a call would have been the most prudent course of action in this case.

So I too am interested and if you proceed w/ the 'IS muffler system, let me know if it works out.

Last edited by shortseller; 01-30-2013 at 02:17 PM.
shortseller is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
shortseller
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 527
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I've actually been considering doing this as well since I happen to have an extra driver's side "is" muffler sitting around. Would just need to buy a passenger side muffler.

Is your car an E90? If so, then it probably won't fit or sound like a 335is. Whether your car is XDrive or not shouldn't matter, but the exhaust tips are usually longer on E92 Coupes . So you might need to cut down the pipes before the tips so it looks right.

Other than that, the E90 sedans have a resonator that makes them quieter than the E92/E93, which have an X-pipe instead. To get a true 335is sound, you'd need to remove the E90 resonator and install an X-pipe in it's place. If you've ever compared the exhaust sound of a regular 335i coupe and sedan, that's the reason the coupe's are always louder.

If you try it out let us know. I would have done it already, but I hate the "sleeve" clamps BMW provides to swap mufflers. I would have my exhaust guy weld them in for me for a factory look and fit. That's just me, though.
Agreed, the clamps thing for me is something that I would tend to worry about. Having it welded like a factory OEM part would be my thinking as well.
shortseller is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
 
BMWM.D.'s Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i & C6 Grand Sport
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Barbara

Posts: 681
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011 View Post
i have an e92
Then it should be a very easy swap and it should sound pretty much identical to a 335is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Agreed, the clamps thing for me is something that I would tend to worry about. Having it welded like a factory OEM part would be my thinking as well.
Yeah, it's how we are forced to do it for warranty purposes, but I don't like it. Not that they leak or anything -- they just look cheesy to me.

The thing that's really kept me from investing in the "is" muffler swap has been the performance gains, or lack of. A full downpipe-back system like HKS, ETS, etc. will give at least 10 rwhp for the effort, along with the sound. Plus you can keep your factory exhaust to go back to stock easily if you ever want to. I'm really loving the tone of the ETS system from the videos I've seen, so I might go this route instead.
__________________
BMWM.D. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
shortseller
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 527
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
The thing that's really kept me from investing in the "is" muffler swap has been the performance gains, or lack of. A full downpipe-back system like HKS, ETS, etc. will give at least 10 rwhp for the effort, along with the sound. Plus you can keep your factory exhaust to go back to stock easily if you ever want to. I'm really loving the tone of the ETS system from the videos I've seen, so I might go this route instead.
Frankly, that too has kept me from the 'IS and PE exhaust, no bang for the buck.
shortseller is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #22
holmes011
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

Posts: 413
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Frankly, that too has kept me from the 'IS and PE exhaust, no bang for the buck.
if you are looking for real gains, look elsewhere...no exhaust is going to get any gains near worth while for the price you pay. So don't kid yourself...
holmes011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST