E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Questions on oil filter housing gasket DIY

05-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
mys_iii
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Questions on oil filter housing gasket DIY

Hi,

I've read the existing DIYs on this topic and there was mention of some oil and coolant leaking out. Does anyone know if driving the car onto rhino ramps to raise the front of the car helps prevent this?

Another related question is regarding bleeding the coolant. The instructions say that the coolant cap and bleed screw all have to be closed. My understanding is that the air pockets need to be cleared from the coolant. If the coolant system is closed, how is the trapped air vented?

Thanks

-Max
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
n2siast
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & E46 330 Coupe

I just completed this and didn't drain any oil or coolant. Car was on flat ground.

I did however, placed quite a few bath towels in the engine bay and a plastic tarp under the car so the oil wouldn't get on the concrete.

With that said, there wasn't much oil and coolant that drained out, just topped off a little bit and then refilled the Coolant tank.

The bleed procedures after all is said and done is recommended, however, I didn't do this since I lost so little coolant and haven't had any issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
You need a pig mat in place. You can buy a role of them at autozone or basically any auto parts store.

Also, to get the infamous 3rd bolt, a swivel socket works best in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

May advice is to drain the coolant and oil. It makes the job far less messy. The coolant bleed procedure is so simple it is far easier and less time consuming to accomplish than cleaning up spilled coolant.

The bleed procedure is you refill the reservoir with coolant with the bleed screw open. This allows coolant to escape the reservoir and cylinder head as the coolant level rises in the engine. Once the bubbles have stopped coming from the bleed screw, you close it. You then close the reservoir cap and run the bleed procedure with the coolant pump. Once the pump finishes, you open the reservoir cap to top off the coolant as necessary, that's when the air escapes the system. Air always flows to the top of the cooling system, which on the E90 is the reservoir opening.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
mys_iii
Private
Rep

Thanks a lot for answering my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
May advice is to drain the coolant and oil. It makes the job far less messy. The coolant bleed procedure is so simple it is far easier and less time consuming to accomplish than cleaning up spilled coolant.

The bleed procedure is you refill the reservoir with coolant with the bleed screw open. This allows coolant to escape the reservoir and cylinder head as the coolant level rises in the engine. Once the bubbles have stopped coming from the bleed screw, you close it. You then close the reservoir cap and run the bleed procedure with the coolant pump. Once the pump finishes, you open the reservoir cap to top off the coolant as necessary, that's when the air escapes the system. Air always flows to the top of the cooling system, which on the E90 is the reservoir opening.

This makes a lot of sense. I figured this was the case but just wanted to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
mys_iii
Private
Rep

Thanks for the answers everyone

Appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
335iM-Sport
Teufel Hunden
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2siast
I just completed this and didn't drain any oil or coolant. Car was on flat ground.

I did however, placed quite a few bath towels in the engine bay and a plastic tarp under the car so the oil wouldn't get on the concrete.

With that said, there wasn't much oil and coolant that drained out, just topped off a little bit and then refilled the Coolant tank.

The bleed procedures after all is said and done is recommended, however, I didn't do this since I lost so little coolant and haven't had any issues.
Same here. Just topped off the coolant and I also changed the oil and filter (drained oil prior beforehand), as well as replaced the oil cooler housing gasket since I had the oil filter housing off. Might as well replace both gaskets at this point.

2011 335i M-Sport | BSM | N55 | BMS Intake | BMS Stage 1 | VRSF Charge Pipe | Black Grills | High Kick Rear Spoiler | Golf Tee Mod | 19" Gunmetal Niche Misano M116 | 15mm R/12mm F | AK CF Front Lip
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
NA55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I recently did this job and had zero oil mess, but lost about 1 quart of coolant.. Used the water pump auto bleed procedure and cars runs perfectly..
Appreciate 0