E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Vinyl Roof Questions

01-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
osteopathXI
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe E92

Vinyl Roof Questions

Thinking of getting my e92's roof wrapped in gloss black vinyl this week. Have some questions though....

-how long does it last being outside (not garaged) a majority of the time?
-how do I take care of it? Wax? Touchfree car washes okay for it?
osteopathXI is offline   United_States
      01-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)

Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.09]
I was told 7 years depending on weather and etc (probably shorter for you since it's going to be outside most of the time) from my local wrap guy who did mine and assuming you're going to use good qulity vinyl. As for cleaning he told me to use Plexus. It cleans and gives a nice glossy shine to it. But I'm sure you can gently clean your roof with a soft towel or something.
      01-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Taran.J
Youtube.com/Taran861 ModMyEuro.com

Drives: '07 e90 328i & multiple Merc's

Send a message via Skype™ to Taran.J
I have a black cf wrap on my hood since August, it's been fine through car washes and living in the countryside everyone's lifted trucks debris flying at it. Don't apply wax on it, I use a regular exterior black magic shine thing the guy who installed it gave to me after my washes, he just told me not to use too much chemicals which will eat through the vinyl so you have to be very careful. This car is usually parked outside and thus far it's sustained the Pacific Northwest's bipolar weather. Only problem is people think it's so cool they come up and touch it and with that comes light nail scratches but idk if you'd have people feelin up your roof like that haha

Taran.J is offline   United_States
      01-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain

Drives: E92

depends on the vinyl as well ... e.g. Oracal / 3M is pretty robust
      01-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
shadow191
Captain

Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX

Depends on the vinyl, and keep in mind that horizontal surfaces like the hood and roof will have a shorter life than vertical ones like the door. So when a shop tells you the vinyl is rated for 6-8 years outdoor or something like that, a roof will always be on the low end of that range while a door will be the high end. It's also dependent on color, brighter colors will have a shorter life as well as heat (vinyl will not last as long in TX as it might it Seattle).