E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > im driving along and saw a light come on...

01-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
bernard54321
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 328I E90

Garage List
2009 328I E90  [0.00]
Exclamation im driving along and saw a light come on...

the light came on (a red picture of a car on a lift) as i was driving. no problem, i have an app that simply looks up what the light means the description is:

cause:
starter or ignition malfunctioning. engine restart only possible when brake is depressed or lighting system failed. low beams/tail lamps and brake lamps still operational. all other lamps failed.

what to do:
have the system in question checked without delay.

so now what? do i take it in to the dealer? how much is this gonna run me? wouldn't i feel a misfire?

i tried restarting the engine it started up fine....

//// black kidney grills //// l.e.d. interior and halos //// charcoal filter delete //// resonator delete
instagram: thebernardexperience
      01-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
bernard54321
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2009 328I E90  [0.00]
update

the cc id is 71 which looking it up is brake pads worn... so i believe i need brakes and sensors, new question do i replace all of them or only front? or only back? or whatever is bad? and then next question after replacing them how do i reset the light.?

//// black kidney grills //// l.e.d. interior and halos //// charcoal filter delete //// resonator delete
      01-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
yarviinn
Captain

Drives: E9TT3

Send a message via AIM to yarviinn
2009 vehicle not warrantied? Unless you drove pass 50k miles already
      01-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard54321 View Post
update

the cc id is 71 which looking it up is brake pads worn... so i believe i need brakes and sensors, new question do i replace all of them or only front? or only back? or whatever is bad? and then next question after replacing them how do i reset the light.?
The light will turn off itself when the sensor is replaced with the brake pad. i've had mine on for about 2 weeks now, but brake pads have enough life on them, so im gonna continue to get all that i can out of them, you should have a red brake light on your dash? because i do.
      01-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
bernard54321
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2009 328I E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn View Post
not me the previous owner drove passed it. i got it cpo.... but brakes are not covered under the cpo warranty says the dealer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_boostjunky View Post
The light will turn off itself when the sensor is replaced with the brake pad. i've had mine on for about 2 weeks now, but brake pads have enough life on them, so im gonna continue to get all that i can out of them, you should have a red brake light on your dash? because i do.
yes i do the stupid red light with my car on a lift lol

01-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725377

you'll need to see if your front or rears need changing. then reset it. diy, save alot of money vs stealerships.
      01-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Karbon
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard54321 View Post
update

Front and rear brakes have different wear so you'll need to see which ones need replacing.

2010 Alpine White 335i - Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation, Comfort Access
Karbon is offline   United_States
      01-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
gpb
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn View Post
MY2009's are old enough to be going out of warranty due to time; first ones would have gone in-service in the last months of 2008.
      01-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
bernard54321
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2009 328I E90  [0.00]
Update:

I gave the car to my assistant to do the front pads and sensors and if needs be, the rotors.

I got my car back with 20% of the stopping abilities left. He put "posi-quiet" pads on it and did not replace the rotors. As a tech i figured he fucked up and got air in the system. So i told him park the car ill get to later.

Wen i looked at the car the rotors needed to be replaced there was a lip and it was warped a bit. So i ordered them and they will be at my shop tomoro but. My new question is is anyone driving around with posi quiets? If so how does it differ from the bmw pads in your opinion?

01-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #10
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Did you replace the wear sensor cable? I'm not certain about the Posi-Quiet pads but most of the quality OEM pad manufacturers include the wear sensor cable which should be replaced during the install.

In the past I've had varied experiences with trying to reuse pads on new rotors! You may have sand the pads slightly and re-bed them into the new set. Make sure you use some CRC BrakeQuiet paste (not the spray) on the rear of your pads and use new wear sensor cables!

Good luck...
      01-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #11
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E90 335i

No offense here but, your a tech and need all this advice? You should know its highly unlikely to get air in the system when just replacing brake pads. Pads do not come with sensors for BMW's as stated by the other poster. Being a tech shouldn't you know if the brake parts you are using are quality or not?

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, muffler delete
J02 335i is offline   Canada
      01-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito

Drives: E46 M3

Sorry to be off topic, but what app is this?
AddictedToBavarian is offline   Portugal
      01-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #13
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard54321
Update:

I gave the car to my assistant to do the front pads and sensors and if needs be, the rotors.

I got my car back with 20% of the stopping abilities left. He put "posi-quiet" pads on it and did not replace the rotors. As a tech i figured he fucked up and got air in the system. So i told him park the car ill get to later.

Wen i looked at the car the rotors needed to be replaced there was a lip and it was warped a bit. So i ordered them and they will be at my shop tomoro but. My new question is is anyone driving around with posi quiets? If so how does it differ from the bmw pads in your opinion?
Never driven on them but what I've heard from VW/Audi club members they are a solid set of low dusting brake pads. Just make sure you bed them in well, and during the Winter months let them warm up during the first few stops. Full ceramics don't bite well until they're heated up so watch out on your first few stops when it's really cold outside.

What rotors are you planning on using? Stick with Ate, Brembo, and Zimmerman rotors. Balo rotors are OK, but I usually paint the rotor hats with BBQ Paint to prevent rusting.
      01-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #14
Ethanderall
Private

Drives: 2006 325i

I was under the impression that the "Red car on a lift" was the stupid 'annual inspection', which is just BMW's way of stealing more money out of your pocket.
      01-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General

Drives: E90

There is so much misinformation in this thread, it is almost pathetic.

The "red-car-on-lift" indictor means some sort of service is required. The service can only be those service items that are monitored by the Condition-Based Service (CBS) maintenance monitoring system. The CBS monitors the following: (These indicators need to be reset once the service is performed)

- Engine oil change interval (based on measured oil condition and other factors)
- Front brake pad life
- Rear brake pad life
- Brake fluid flush (every 24 months) from the build date of the car
- Spark plug change (100,000 miles for the N52 and 45K for the N54/55)
- Cabin airfilter change (on the early model cars - BMW dropped this indicator after 2008 or 2009)
- Annual emissions check (if required - can be programmed by date)
- Annual safety inspection (if required - can be programmed by date)
- 30,000 mile general inspection

When the red-car-on-lift indicator lights, then you are supposed to review the CBS service menu and find out what service is due. If no service indicators (as mentioned above, i.e. brakes, oil, spark plugs, etc.) are stored in the CBS, then it is the 30,000 mile inspection.

If the "Brake" indicator is on when the red-car-on-lift indictor is on, then it means either the front, rear, or both bake pad sets need replacement. The CBS will indicate which set of brakes (front or rear) need replacing by showing "000" miles when the brake life indicator is cued up in the CBS menu.

When the brakes need to be refurbished, the brake wear sensor is spent and is replaced with a new one, which automatically resets the "brake" indicator, but it does not automatically reset the CBS brake life monitor. The CBS brake life monitor has to be manually reset by the technician (or owner if the brake refurbishment is done DIY). IMO, brake rotors should be replaced when the pads are replaced. The CBS brake life monitor is reset in the same manner as the oil life monitor.

The "30,000 mile general inspection" to remind the owner to take the car in so a BMW technician can look over the car and perform a general inspection. This basically replaces the old school BMW Inspection I and II intervals where the car is looked over by the technician and the door hinges lubed, door locks lubed, inspection of the exhaust system for leaks, inspection of the driveline and cooling system for leaks, inspection of the halfshaft CV joints, wheel bearings, steering system play, etc. If the owner can do these inspections himself, then the red-car-on-lift indicator can be manually reset.

The service monitoring system also indicates when other items need addressing such as low engine oil, low brake fluid, low washer fluid, low coolant, and burned out bulbs. But these are not "resettable" items because the indicator for them will automatically reset when the condition is corrected, such as adding engine oil, topping off the brake fluid, or replacing the light bulb that is burned out.

Finally, just for completeness, the following other maintenance items are based on mileage or events as follows:

- Transmission oil change at 100,000 mile intervals (for either manual or automatic transmissions)
- Differential oil change at 100,000 mile intervals
- Engine coolant at 100,000 miles intervals
- Engine airfilter change at every 3rd oil change (using the BMW CBS oil change interval, which is about every 45,000 to 50,000 miles)

There is no recommended change interval for the hydraulic power steering fluid, but some maintenance fanatics flush and fill it at their own determined interval.

The "Service Engine Soon" indicator is for the OBDII emissions monitoring system, which is a separate topic all unto itself.

Blinker fluid is replaced as required...

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-26-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Efthreeoh is online now   United_States
      01-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
bernard54321
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2009 328I E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J02 335i View Post
No offense here but, your a tech and need all this advice? You should know its highly unlikely to get air in the system when just replacing brake pads. Pads do not come with sensors for BMW's as stated by the other poster. Being a tech shouldn't you know if the brake parts you are using are quality or not?

in replacing pads, in my experience, I've seen it once before where the piston gets pushed out just a bit too far and the seal moves for a split second which allows air in the system. no offense taken but just defending myself to at least a reasonable doubt.

01-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
bernard54321
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2009 328I E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8Swami View Post
Never driven on them but what I've heard from VW/Audi club members they are a solid set of low dusting brake pads. Just make sure you bed them in well, and during the Winter months let them warm up during the first few stops. Full ceramics don't bite well until they're heated up so watch out on your first few stops when it's really cold outside.

What rotors are you planning on using? Stick with Ate, Brembo, and Zimmerman rotors. Balo rotors are OK, but I usually paint the rotor hats with BBQ Paint to prevent rusting.

i ended up putting ate rotors, i was told by a trusted friend that they are closest to the oem without the oem price.

01-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
Jewelzfive
Private First Class

Drives: Silver '06 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
There is so much misinformation in this thread, it is almost pathetic.

The "red-car-on-lift" indictor means some sort of service is required. The service can only be those service items that are monitored by the Condition-Based Service (CBS) maintenance monitoring system. The CBS monitors the following: (These indicators need to be reset once the service is performed)

- Engine oil change interval (based on measured oil condition and other factors)
- Front brake pad life
- Rear brake pad life
- Brake fluid flush (every 24 months) from the build date of the car
- Spark plug change (100,000 miles for the N52 and 45K for the N54/55)
- Cabin airfilter change (on the early model cars - BMW dropped this indicator after 2008 or 2009)
- Annual emissions check (if required - can be programmed by date)
- Annual safety inspection (if required - can be programmed by date)
- 30,000 mile general inspection

When the red-car-on-lift indicator lights, then you are supposed to review the CBS service menu and find out what service is due. If no service indicators (as mentioned above, i.e. brakes, oil, spark plugs, etc.) are stored in the CBS, then it is the 30,000 mile inspection.

If the "Brake" indicator is on when the red-car-on-lift indictor is on, then it means either the front, rear, or both bake pad sets need replacement. The CBS will indicate which set of brakes (front or rear) need replacing by showing "000" miles when the brake life indicator is cued up in the CBS menu.

When the brakes need to be refurbished, the brake wear sensor is spent and is replaced with a new one, which automatically resets the "brake" indicator, but it does not automatically reset the CBS brake life monitor. The CBS brake life monitor has to be manually reset by the technician (or owner if the brake refurbishment is done DIY). IMO, brake rotors should be replaced when the pads are replaced. The CBS brake life monitor is reset in the same manner as the oil life monitor.

The "30,000 mile general inspection" to remind the owner to take the car in so a BMW technician can look over the car and perform a general inspection. This basically replaces the old school BMW Inspection I and II intervals where the car is looked over by the technician and the door hinges lubed, door locks lubed, inspection of the exhaust system for leaks, inspection of the driveline and cooling system for leaks, inspection of the halfshaft CV joints, wheel bearings, steering system play, etc. If the owner can do these inspections himself, then the red-car-on-lift indicator can be manually reset.

The service monitoring system also indicates when other items need addressing such as low engine oil, low brake fluid, low washer fluid, low coolant, and burned out bulbs. But these are not "resettable" items because the indicator for them will automatically reset when the condition is corrected, such as adding engine oil, topping off the brake fluid, or replacing the light bulb that is burned out.

Finally, just for completeness, the following other maintenance items are based on mileage or events as follows:

- Transmission oil change at 100,000 mile intervals (for either manual or automatic transmissions)
- Differential oil change at 100,000 mile intervals
- Engine coolant at 100,000 miles intervals
- Engine airfilter change at every 3rd oil change (using the BMW CBS oil change interval, which is about every 45,000 to 50,000 miles)

There is no recommended change interval for the hydraulic power steering fluid, but some maintenance fanatics flush and fill it at their own determined interval.

The "Service Engine Soon" indicator is for the OBDII emissions monitoring system, which is a separate topic all unto itself.

Blinker fluid is replaced as required...
I thought I was the only one thinking this lol this thread will have u totally lost;( thanks for the clarity!!!