E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What's the correct normal operatiting temperatures for the N52



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Three_thirty_I
Captain
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
South Africa
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
What's the correct normal operatiting temperatures for the N52

As per the title, my E90 330i seems to be running colder than normal based on the temperatures that I am seeing on the hidden OBC menu (unlock 19 and 7).

Last night driving home with the outside temperature being around 14C the engine coolant temperature was between 77 and 82 degrees Celsius, and this has been the case for a while now and was pointed out initially as a possible thermostat problem, but then suspected as being faulty temperature sensors. I replaced both temp sensors since they are the cheaper initial items to replace, but no difference, so it can now only be the thermostat that's not closing and properly regulating the temperatures.

I gather that the correct operating temperature range is mid 90's to a little over 100 degrees Celsius, maybe even higher this and then in some cases a bit lower than 90 degrees.

So just want to clarify this and hear what it is supposed to be in reality.
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
5
Rep
471
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

I feel lime this is sort of a mystery for most people here because instead of a oil/coolant temp gage, we have the dumb mpg meter.. so i would like to know this as well
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Three_thirty_I
Captain
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
South Africa
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Well, the hidden OBC menu shows the coolant temperature which is what I am looking at.
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Johnny D
Major
Johnny D's Avatar
19
Rep
1,124
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hot Springs, AR

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [4.58]
Normal operating temps are between 200 and 210. You'll have to convert to Celsius... I'm lazy.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Three_thirty_I
Captain
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
South Africa
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
Normal operating temps are between 200 and 210. You'll have to convert to Celsius... I'm lazy.
That's around 93 and 99 degrees Celsius, so makes sense from other threads that I have read so far...
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
thecadman99
First Lieutenant
thecadman99's Avatar
9
Rep
373
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Torque app shows mine anywhere from 90C to (highest I've seen yet) 103C slow pulling up a nature trail in Pigeon Forge.

Yours does seem a little "cool".
__________________
06 330i 6mt Spt- Eibach Springs, BMW Perf Susp, Supersprint Exhaust, BSW Audio
94 325i 5mt 4d- M3 springs/susp, Z3 wheels, Chipped, Intake, Exhaust= FUN!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
26
Rep
2,366
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
I should read mine too. I have the Torque App. I once got a faulty thermostat code and I wonder if mine temp does not reach the normal temp.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Three_thirty_I
Captain
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
South Africa
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
On another thread, this interesting reply! Check the spec PDF too on the linked thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
A while back a member posted a link to a long detailed report about the N52 engine (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788821). There is lots of good info regarding our engines that I found interesting, particularly the design concept of the electric water pump (page 67). It describes that our water pumps move more or less coolant through our engines depending on the situations to maintain different engine temperature setpoints. During spirited driving the temperature of the coolant is kept lower to improve volumetric efficiency and thus more power. During eco mode it keeps it higher to thin out the oil to reduce parasitic losses (ie friction) on the engine to save fuel. Most importantly it shows the different coolant temperature set points and will answer your question quite nicely:

112 deg C ECO Mode
105 deg C Normal Mode
95 deg C Med output mode
80 deg C High output mode

I suggest taking a look yourself as it is described in better detail. Hell you can find out every damn detail about our engines in that report as its 75 pages!! Prepare to spend a few hours reading if you're super technical. Having a degree in mechanical engineering helped
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Eagle1oh7
Captain
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
715
Posts

 
Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA

iTrader: (0)

What is this hidden menu?? Is it in N51 powered 3ers?
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, aFe Stage 2 PRO-R Intake, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, AA Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Three_thirty_I
Captain
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
South Africa
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
What is this hidden menu?? Is it in N51 powered 3ers?
It is. To access this press and hold the trip meter reset button and hold for 10 seconds, then the hidden main menu will appear where it normally shows the time and outside temperature etc. Then cycle to menu 19 by pressing the reset button until there. Now to unlock the hidden menus to access the temperature you need to input the sum of the numbers making up your car's VIN number. So for instance, if your VIN is AB12345, then you need to add these number up, so in the example it would be 15. Then once unlocked cycle to menu 7 and it will now show the coolant temperature.

For more information on the hidden menu and all of its functions, just do a google search - easy to find and lots of info!
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,110
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
On another thread, this interesting reply! Check the spec PDF too on the linked thread!
Great find! This is totally correct. The car will change it's temperature constantly. It's one of reasons that BMW decided to remove the temp gauge. It's really interesting how it all works. I looked at some live data from my car once. On the freeway the water pump is spinning at a low rpm and the t-stat is closed. Engine temp is around 112C. Adding a large amount of throttle will cause the pump rpm to increase and the t-stat to open. Downshifting a flooring the throttle actually causes the engine temp to reduce around 85C and the water pump to operate at max rpm.

As I got off the freeway and slowed down the temp decreased to 85C - 90C and is maintained there for city driving. Very interesting indeed.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
Eagle1oh7
Captain
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
715
Posts

 
Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
It is. To access this press and hold the trip meter reset button and hold for 10 seconds, then the hidden main menu will appear where it normally shows the time and outside temperature etc. Then cycle to menu 19 by pressing the reset button until there. Now to unlock the hidden menus to access the temperature you need to input the sum of the numbers making up your car's VIN number. So for instance, if your VIN is AB12345, then you need to add these number up, so in the example it would be 15. Then once unlocked cycle to menu 7 and it will now show the coolant temperature.

For more information on the hidden menu and all of its functions, just do a google search - easy to find and lots of info!

Sweet! Thanks for the info! I'm sure it'll come in handy!
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, aFe Stage 2 PRO-R Intake, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, AA Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
Three_thirty_I
Captain
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
South Africa
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Great find! This is totally correct. The car will change it's temperature constantly. It's one of reasons that BMW decided to remove the temp gauge. It's really interesting how it all works. I looked at some live data from my car once. On the freeway the water pump is spinning at a low rpm and the t-stat is closed. Engine temp is around 112C. Adding a large amount of throttle will cause the pump rpm to increase and the t-stat to open. Downshifting a flooring the throttle actually causes the engine temp to reduce around 85C and the water pump to operate at max rpm.

As I got off the freeway and slowed down the temp decreased to 85C - 90C and is maintained there for city driving. Very interesting indeed.
This is the crazy thing! The agents had the car for this after a specialist had picked up that the engine was constantly running cold, so they initially thought it was the thermostat and then changed their minds thinking that it could be the coolant temperature sensor. But the agents claimed they could not find anything wrong, translation, no codes came up. And they can't perform live tests anyway, at least so I was told. Now the thermostat is probably the problem, but it could even be something with the ECU since it is suppose to control what the thermostat is doing. All I can think is that the thermostat is stuck open...
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
26
Rep
2,366
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
This is the crazy thing! The agents had the car for this after a specialist had picked up that the engine was constantly running cold, so they initially thought it was the thermostat and then changed their minds thinking that it could be the coolant temperature sensor. But the agents claimed they could not find anything wrong, translation, no codes came up. And they can't perform live tests anyway, at least so I was told. Now the thermostat is probably the problem, but it could even be something with the ECU since it is suppose to control what the thermostat is doing. All I can think is that the thermostat is stuck open...
I read here in the forum that if you can feel or press the top hose on the radiator when cold, if you can feel water circulating it means the thermostat is in fact stuck open but if you dont, then ur thermostat is not the problem.

Thermostat should always be closed when cold and open when hot.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
MrDummy's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,643
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Unemployment Capitol of America

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Will doing this hidden menu trick effect warranty or will dealership know I messed with it?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
Three_thirty_I
Captain
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
South Africa
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDummy View Post
Will doing this hidden menu trick effect warranty or will dealership know I messed with it?
Well, can't do any harm with it, so I can't see how this would be a problem, and can't think that it would be detected either. It's merely there to display information as far as I know, so can't do anything adverse to the car. At least this is what I remember reading when looking for information regarding the hidden OBC menu...
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
MrDummy's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,643
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Unemployment Capitol of America

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Also do u need to be park or any special instructions?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
MrDummy's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,643
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Unemployment Capitol of America

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I can't get mine to work, I see code 19, type in my numbers added up from the full vin # and then it shows the 1_ part, then I go to 7_ and tried holding in button and tried doing nothing but it just keeps reverting back to time and clock?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #19
Three_thirty_I
Captain
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
South Africa
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Can do this parked or even on the move (but not safe of course), and with the engine on or off as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDummy View Post
I can't get mine to work, I see code 19, type in my numbers added up from the full vin # and then it shows the 1_ part, then I go to 7_ and tried holding in button and tried doing nothing but it just keeps reverting back to time and clock?
Did it show unlock after putting the combined VIN number in menu 19? It should then show the temperature in menu 7. I battled the first few times when I tried this and just ended up accidentally resetting my trip meter.
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
MrDummy's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,643
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Unemployment Capitol of America

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
No it still shows locked even after I triple checked the math.

You don't add in the letters correct? Just the numbers in the full vin, right?

Thanks,
MrD
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,110
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDummy View Post
No it still shows locked even after I triple checked the math.

You don't add in the letters correct? Just the numbers in the full vin, right?

Thanks,
MrD
No just the numbers after "KR"
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
MrDummy's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,643
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Unemployment Capitol of America

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Thanks will try in a few mins...
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST