E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Remember to top up your screenwash



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
mistryn
Lieutenant Colonel
mistryn's Avatar
35
Rep
1,997
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335D
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mids

iTrader: (7)

Especially if you have headlamp washer jets that are prone to coming loose and flying off in the freezing weather due to screenwash concentration being weak

I have bought some windscreen fluid from Lidl which I think is a good buy- 5litres at 5.99 concentrate. I used this last year as per dilutions and have had no problems with it freezing and picked some more up on the way home tonight. i know some will say but its got antifreeze in it but at the correct dilution ratio I have had no issue with it affecting paintwork leaving marks etc

I have had no issues with the fan washer jets blocking up and would highly reccomend this.

I have tried various screenwash over the years but I keep coming back to this. As can you can see undiluted protects down to -63, I do not think we will get that much cold here so I diluted mine at 1:2 for freezing winters


Last edited by mistryn; 01-17-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
F32Dude
-
18
Rep
1,580
Posts

 
Drives: F32
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

...and your antifreeze/coolant too!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
gIzzE
Major General
gIzzE's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
5,164
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes ML, F25 X3 and 2.8i Z
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

iTrader: (2)

My washers froze this morning with neat screenwash that said it was good down to -30c!

Just the nozzle, pipe popped off the back, and typically on my side as well.

The OBC was reading -9c and I guess with wind speed of 60mph it may have dropped to -30c?? I have no idea.

But I had to pull over and repair it as I couldn't see a thing. Luckily I had a Torx 20 in the glove box to get the trim off.


Managed to get through another 5 litres today alone, it is costing me nearly as much in windscreen wash as fuel at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
SteveC
Captain
United Kingdom
13
Rep
887
Posts

 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North East

iTrader: (1)

Wind Chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
My washers froze this morning with neat screenwash that said it was good down to -30c!

Just the nozzle, pipe popped off the back, and typically on my side as well.

The OBC was reading -9c and I guess with wind speed of 60mph it may have dropped to -30c?? I have no idea.

But I had to pull over and repair it as I couldn't see a thing. Luckily I had a Torx 20 in the glove box to get the trim off.


Managed to get through another 5 litres today alone, it is costing me nearly as much in windscreen wash as fuel at the moment.



Water doesn't give a damn about windchill...only the temperature matters, so your screen wash froze at -9c. My experience with pre-mixed garage washer is that it freezes in the jets and pipes because its mainly water, dye and some detergent and alcohol. Even heated sprayer jets don't help because the mix itself freezes in the pipes leading to the jets

Apart from the danger of freezing, the wrong windscreen wash formulation can harbour dangerous bacteria like Legionella, damage your car's paintwork, block the spray jets and/or block the filter. Given that the BMW formulation does non of these things when used at recommended concentrations of as little as 5:1 it really is false economy to use anything else IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
AlwynMike
Captain
United Kingdom
13
Rep
953
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335d.
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Shropshire, UK

iTrader: (1)

What are the chances, having bought an AUC car in October, that the screenwash is a) BMW and b) strong enough??

That was a rhetorical question, I have my own thoughts!!

I haven't used the screenwash much since I got the car, and it's still full.

So, out with fuse 48, so that should protect the headlight washers.
A trip to Edinburgh from the Midlands is unavoidable first thing tomorrow, so that will test the screenwashers - I may even siphon some out of the bottle and top up with neat. Or I may take the Mundane-o, but that's a worst case scenario!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #6
coopersim
Captain
coopersim's Avatar
United Kingdom
16
Rep
775
Posts

 
Drives: VW Lupo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Berks

iTrader: (2)

Fuse 48 eh........? *totters off outside with thin nosed pliers and torch*

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #7
gIzzE
Major General
gIzzE's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
5,164
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes ML, F25 X3 and 2.8i Z
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Water doesn't give a damn about windchill...only the temperature matters, so your screen wash froze at -9c. My experience with pre-mixed garage washer is that it freezes in the jets and pipes because its mainly water, dye and some detergent and alcohol. Even heated sprayer jets don't help because the mix itself freezes in the pipes leading to the jets

Apart from the danger of freezing, the wrong windscreen wash formulation can harbour dangerous bacteria like Legionella, damage your car's paintwork, block the spray jets and/or block the filter. Given that the BMW formulation does non of these things when used at recommended concentrations of as little as 5:1 it really is false economy to use anything else IMO.
It was -11c when I left my house and it was working. Then 15 minutes later it blocked. You sure extra air doesn't make it colder?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
73
Rep
5,032
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
It was -11c when I left my house and it was working. Then 15 minutes later it blocked. You sure extra air doesn't make it colder?
Positive.
__________________
Ian
Current: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
Frobius
Captain
Frobius's Avatar
United Kingdom
11
Rep
976
Posts

 
Drives: E91 330d M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntingdon, UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Yup as above. Wind chill is based on increasing evaporation which in turn reduces temperature. Actually that said, maybe it does?
__________________

57 Sapphire Black E91 330d M-Sport
Privacy Glass // Leather // Heated Seats // Bluetooth // Blacklines // BMWP Gloss Black Grille // Alpine HiFi // LCI Headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
6,105
Posts

 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
So, out with fuse 48, so that should protect the headlight washers.
I always found the h/light washers pants,and little more than a gimmick.

It used to piss me off immensely spending time washing/polishing the car, only for a few days later to have the bonnet sprayed with screenwash
__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
gIzzE
Major General
gIzzE's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
5,164
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes ML, F25 X3 and 2.8i Z
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

iTrader: (2)

Wind chill......

http://www2.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF5/529.html
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
AlwynMike
Captain
United Kingdom
13
Rep
953
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335d.
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Shropshire, UK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersim View Post
Fuse 48 eh........? *totters off outside with thin nosed pliers and torch*

It is on the E91 anyway - it's one behind the wires so you can't see it and you need to be double jointed with the little plastic thingy to extract the fuse!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
73
Rep
5,032
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Precisely. Only for an object generating heat.
__________________
Ian
Current: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
gIzzE
Major General
gIzzE's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
5,164
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes ML, F25 X3 and 2.8i Z
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

iTrader: (2)

It's interesting.


I did 130 miles yesterday and it was only as I hot London that my car got to temperature, don't think I have ever had that before.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
73
Rep
5,032
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

One got thing about efficient dynamics is the electrically-operated louvres behind the radiator grille that close off airflow when the engine is below temperature - warms up a lot quicker. And it looks nicer than tin foil....
__________________
Ian
Current: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
PhilM
First Lieutenant
PhilM's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
314
Posts

 
Drives: 335d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Leeds. UK

iTrader: (0)

I buy it from Costco.. Last year was Holts, now it's a new yellow stuff (still made by Holts apparently) dilute it 1:3 and never had any bother.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
MEGA
Dieseasal
MEGA's Avatar
United Kingdom
108
Rep
6,849
Posts

 
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Guys where is fuse 48 and how do I remove it? I don't fancy my light washer jets or covers going walkies

Thanks

Dave
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
AlwynMike
Captain
United Kingdom
13
Rep
953
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335d.
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Shropshire, UK

iTrader: (1)

As far as the E91 is concerned:

Open the glovebox
On the back of that there are two 1/4 turn fasteners.
Undo and remove the back of the glovebox (the bit facing front, if you know what I mean!)
In there will be a plastic card with all the fuse numbers and locations.
Look for the headlight washer symbol.
Look again into the glovebox, and in the space you've uncovered, on the firewall, you'll see the fusebox - you may need a torch, but the glovebox light does illuminate it a bit.
On mine, fuse 48 is on the right, half way up. Use the red removal tool, as there are wires that get in the way otherwise.
On my plastic card, fuse 48 also has a windscreen washer symbol, (it's got 2 entries for fuse 48!!) but when I remove it, only the headlight washers stop, everything else works OK.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Frobius
Captain
Frobius's Avatar
United Kingdom
11
Rep
976
Posts

 
Drives: E91 330d M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntingdon, UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Hmm. I wonder what else its for? Maybe washer jet heating?!
__________________

57 Sapphire Black E91 330d M-Sport
Privacy Glass // Leather // Heated Seats // Bluetooth // Blacklines // BMWP Gloss Black Grille // Alpine HiFi // LCI Headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #20
a11y
Second Lieutenant
a11y's Avatar
Scotland
6
Rep
291
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
As far as the E91 is concerned:

Open the glovebox
On the back of that there are two 1/4 turn fasteners.
Undo and remove the back of the glovebox (the bit facing front, if you know what I mean!)
In there will be a plastic card with all the fuse numbers and locations.
Look for the headlight washer symbol.
Look again into the glovebox, and in the space you've uncovered, on the firewall, you'll see the fusebox - you may need a torch, but the glovebox light does illuminate it a bit.
On mine, fuse 48 is on the right, half way up. Use the red removal tool, as there are wires that get in the way otherwise.
On my plastic card, fuse 48 also has a windscreen washer symbol, (it's got 2 entries for fuse 48!!) but when I remove it, only the headlight washers stop, everything else works OK.

Mike
Good to know, thanks for posting.

I knew it was fuse #48 but haven't had the bottle to remove it as I was worried what else it would affect. No xenons on my e90 so no reason to have functional headlamp washers. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend ...
__________________
BMW e90 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,363
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

How's this for bad design. We've just got a brand new Peugeot van and over the last few days we've gone through gallons of screenwash. It turns out the washer jets squirt for a set amount of time when you pull the stalk. One of our guys has just done a run to Cleethorpes and back and had to pull off the motorway to wipe the screen with a rag. The screenwash had been topped up before he set off.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
warriorboy
Private
warriorboy's Avatar
England
0
Rep
89
Posts

 
Drives: 320d M Sport coupe
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NW England

iTrader: (1)

the wife's x3 runs the rear washwipe tubing through the cabin (probs to avoid freezing),

Unknown to me a connector under the carpet in o/s passenger footwell had come adrift and every time I sprayed the washwipe it filled up the footwell.

Only noticed after 2 full top ups of the tank.

thats another one I can live without and got disconnected!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST