E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > MT Drivers and Valet

01-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
Envuks
Captain

Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDane07
Park the car yourself and walk.
+2

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
      01-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #24
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDane07 View Post
Park the car yourself and walk.
You can't do it in most valet situations. Partly for insurance, mostly for tipping and being able to squeeze the maximum number of vehicles into a given space.

It's fun to break the rules. When my wife and I went to the Boxster launch, I drove by all the valet parkers and did park myself. My wife was cracking up, and I figured if they said anything I was ok with it. But at most events you can't physically drive by the valets.

We went to a hoity toity event at the Museum, and I just paid the guy to let me park myself. That was one enterprising guy as a Jackson wasn't good enough for him.
      01-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #25
dcat151
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

I do everything I can to avoid using valets.
dcat151 is offline   Wales
      01-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #26
JDane07
Major

Drives: '06 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
You can't do it in most valet situations. Partly for insurance, mostly for tipping and being able to squeeze the maximum number of vehicles into a given space.

It's fun to break the rules. When my wife and I went to the Boxster launch, I drove by all the valet parkers and did park myself. My wife was cracking up, and I figured if they said anything I was ok with it. But at most events you can't physically drive by the valets.

We went to a hoity toity event at the Museum, and I just paid the guy to let me park myself. That was one enterprising guy as a Jackson wasn't good enough for him.
No, I mean take your car and park it somewhere else. Why waste money letting someone else potentially mess up your investment?

Unless you are handicap, valet = lazy
OEM Mtech | Eurotek LM | Performance Exhaust | AA Tune | ST Coilovers | MMW Catless Headers | Euro BavX LS3 | Blacklines | CF diffuser, Performance Spoiler, Front splitters | Other goodies here and there...
Wish List: ESS SUPERCHARGER FTW
Recent Thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...NE07+vineyards
JDane07 is offline   United_States
      01-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #27
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDane07 View Post
No, I mean take your car and park it somewhere else. Why waste money letting someone else potentially mess up your investment?

Unless you are handicap, valet = lazy
I mean that at some "events" valet is mandatory....my car was 1/2 yr. old and my friend's fancy wedding was valet only...I nearly freaked. They told me I could not park myself, and move to the side so people could get in. I admit there were 7's and A8's and Bentleys and Ferrari's being turned over to valet, and yes, this was a lowly 3 series. But it was my 3 series, my first and only BMW, and the car was nearly brand new. On the way home the bulb failure lamp turned on LOL
      01-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #28
blacknbean
Major

Drives: e92 335i

i avoid valets at all cost. one time staying a hotel in downtown la i had no choice. when i got my car back the clutch felt all wierd and 2nd gear started to grind :/
      01-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #29
geko29
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335d

One thing most people don't realize--in most states, unless the valet company legally owns the property where they take the car from you AND where they park it, you are LOANING them your car, and they are free to do with it as they please.

Last time I valet'd was 10 years ago, at my engagement party. The motherfucker stole my E46 (or more accurately, gave the keys to a friend of his who stole it). Wound up finding it dumped on the street in Chicago's 3rd ward (a lovely neighborhood!) with a blown clutch, ruined seats and the left side destroyed.

Here's the kicker--MY insurance had to pay for everything (except my deductible, which of course, was on me). During the subrogation process, it came to light that in a situation like a parking garage or car dealer, where the same entity employs the drivers and owns the property, you are transferring Care, Custody, and Control (CCC). This is a legal term that means they are taking responsibility for your vehicle and everything (except for acts of god or other things naturally excluded from legal liability) that happens while it is in their possession. Unfortunately, since this was a contracted valet at a restaurant, it falls into Privileged Use, which is just like loaning the car to a friend. YOU remain legally liable for anything they do while in their possession (like if they get into an accident), and YOU are responsible for any loss/repairs required to the vehicle. And we're dumb enough to PAY people to do this to us?

Unfortunately, even at events like a banquet hall, the valets are typically from a service that is distinct from the hall, so this would still fall under privileged use. I won't even valet a rental car, unless I'm traveling for work, where we have an automatic LDW and it's the rental agency's problem if something happens. The other exception is valet-only garages in the city, where the garage accepts CCC. Any convenience is FAR outweighed by the admittedly unlikely, but huge, downsides.
      01-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #30
spacemonkey1112
Captain

Drives: E90 325i AW

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey1112
I saw a valet drive scrap the front end of a mustang GT & I told myself I will never valet unless the restaurant or hotel only has valet parking...
      01-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #31
gds52
Major

Drives: BMW 328i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer07 View Post
How do you guys feel when you are about to valet your car? I always feel like asking the guy if he knows how to drive stick then im like fuk it im gona let him do his job and i just leave lol
I avoid valet parking.
But at one place I go with no other good option, I tip the guy before parking and request him to be careful with the wheels, in a friendly way.
I give good tip after getting my car back. They always park my car in front and I can see it.
      01-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #32
roundel335
Brigadier General

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio

Garage List
I never, ever have my car "valet parked". Walking is good for you.

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
      01-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #33
xborndaballx
Registered

Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

I used to valet in college and let me tell you, after seeing some of the stuff those drivers do to nicer cars and cars with stick I would never valet my car. Just knowing in the back of my head that this is happening to my car would piss me off.
      01-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #34
Efthreeoh
Colonel

Drives: E90

I'd rather get F'd up the ass than let some valet M'Fer park my car.
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States
      01-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #35
boris
Борис

Drives: POS 335i

I try to avoid valet as much as possible, but I also get suckered in.

The way I deal with it is, upon first seeing who the Valet will be, you can instantly make the distinction whether or not he's a dumbass.

If they are cool, they will more than likely start a conversation with you.

Back when I had my 05 STi, the valet's would just be scared to even drive the car, so I'd do the job for them, and usually ask to leave it right up front.
The 335i is a bit different, although if they are cool guys, they'll usually leave the car right up front or just let me pull it in to where is most convenient.

If you don't look/act like a douche-bag to the valet, he'll more than likely take care of your car. However there are instances with complete idiots who are valets, and well we know how that goes.
      01-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #36
wrose100
DABES

Drives: 09 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'd rather get F'd up the ass than let some valet M'Fer park my car.
Haha seems reasonable :P
wrose100 is offline   United_States
      01-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #37
sonnyblak
Registered

Drives: 328i Wagon (E91)

I watched a valet stall my last MT...TWICE...right in front of me. So I ran up to him and took the keys and went home (after giving him a piece of my mind, of course). Eff that...never using valet again!
sonnyblak is offline   United_States
      01-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #38
xPETEZx
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 325i SE 6MT (E90 LCI)

I would never allow my car to be valet parked.
Luckily here in the UK I have never seen Valet parking offered anywhere.
Maybe they offered it @ 5 Star + hotels, but certainly not at restaurants. (at least none I have been to! )

The point about you still being liable even if THEY have an accident would make me run a country MILE! If its CCC, sure no problem. They are responsible.
xPETEZx is offline   United Kingdom
      01-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #39
95325i
Enlisted Member

Drives: 06 330i, 01 Z3 3.0 Roadster

Send a message via AIM to 95325i Send a message via MSN to 95325i
Only when i am forced to let some one park the car (in a city), but most times I do it myself.
95325i is offline   United_States