E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Different sump plug /bolt in the 320i

02-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
raj55
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E91 2009, 320i

Different sump plug /bolt in the 320i

There are lot of threads about oil change in the 3 series but I noticed that my car (European 320i, LCI E91) has a different sump plug that requires a hex wrench number 6 to drän oil. I wonder why BMW changed to this sort of plug that does not take a normal wrench. Is it because people were tightening the ordinary plugs too hard and destroying the thread in the sump? I am conviced that applying excessive pressure via a hex wrench is going to be difficult, compared to an ordinary bolt wrench.

Here are the pictures of three different sump plugs/ bolts that BMW is using. The first one is in my car where you can not get a proper grip with an ordinary wrench. The second one is from the M series where only hex wrench works and the third one is from the older models (and possibly USA), ordinary wrench is the way to go. Here is a thread from a guy from East who describes how he used a hex wrench to get that bolt out.

http://upgr8s.blogspot.se/2008/03/bm...il-change.html
Attached Images

raj55 is offline   Sweden