E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth Newbie

02-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
j1gilles
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335xi

Meth Newbie

So.... I finally bit the bullet and purchased a WW BMS meth kit for my 09 335xi. I have a few questions before I install it next weekend.
1. I have heard that purging the system is a little difficult.. true?

2. Anything I should know about the install? It seems pretty straight forward?

3. Has anyone put heat shielding on their meth lines?

4. I run 93 octane but I dont want to blow up my ride, is the Jb4 a reliable controller?

5. My current mods are JB4 g5, DCI, ER charge pipe, BMS meth elbow, Borla mid pipes. 1/4 estimates? I really need to beat my friends 02 Zo6 (stock) this summer!

Thanks!
j1gilles is offline   United_States
      02-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
n54gte
First Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
So.... I finally bit the bullet and purchased a WW BMS meth kit for my 09 335xi. I have a few questions before I install it next weekend.

4. I run 93 octane but I dont want to blow up my ride, is the Jb4 a reliable controller?

5. My current mods are JB4 g5, DCI, ER charge pipe, BMS meth elbow, Borla mid pipes. 1/4 estimates? I really need to beat my friends 02 Zo6 (stock) this summer!

Thanks!
1. Go to command 7/5, press on your throttle all the way. The pump should pump through and put your meth hose in a bucket or bottle to catch the meth/water.
2. Follow the DIY guide on that BMS site
3. Shouldn't need to
4. Just don't go to 70 addictive. Stay around 50 and the FSB is reliable. Don't go above 50/50 meth mix since you have the WW kit
5. Depends on you, the driver
      02-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
farb
teh Rider!

Drives: E92 335xi

Be very careful if you're running WW tank setup. If I were you I would have purchased a trunk tank setup.

Also, consider purchasing a fire extinguisher.
farb is offline   Canada
      02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Randomaccess335
Captain

Drives: 07' 335I

I would buy a trunk mount tank, I did to avoid fires. I ran ww for about 6 months with no issues, better safe than sorry. Also I get better flow reading in dash with trunk mount, I guessing cause its gravity feed.
Jb4 fsb works great, If you hook it up correctly it is pretty simple. I had a few issues cause I started out with a jb3 harness, A few emails to terry and I was up and running. If/when you go trunk mount make sure the meth tubing doesn't get kinked/flattened by interior on trunk lining....... That was my only other problem I had. Take your time you'll be fine...... Ur gonna love it
R

JB4 G5 ISO , BMS DCI's, Stock Guted DP's, DO Meth kit Trunk Mount, ETS 5" Intercooler, M6 Rims, ER Charge Pipe, Fordged DV's
Cybe 3.8" chrome Tips, Lux Angel Eyes
**********12.07 @ 116***1.99 60'**********
      02-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
135Pats
The time has come.

Drives: 135i

IMO you have a responsibility to yourself, your car, and those around you to have a fire extinguisher if you’re running meth through the WW tank. The horror stories are just that, horror stories, but it would be extraordinarily unwise to run that without a means of putting out the potential fire.
E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586R/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is online now   United_States
      02-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
A proper setup won't need any purging. I can't speak for every meth kit. After the initial priming of my basic kit it never had any air in the lines. It had a basic trunk mount 4 quart tank.

Avoid WW kits. They are indeed horror stories, and very true and real stories.

50/50 Mix won't save the fires on WW kits either. There are a handful who have experienced fires even at 50/50 mixes.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      02-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
jippii ensio
Major

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
A proper setup won't need any purging. I can't speak for every meth kit. After the initial priming of my basic kit it never had any air in the lines. It had a basic trunk mount 4 quart tank.

Avoid WW kits. They are indeed horror stories, and very true and real stories.

50/50 Mix won't save the fires on WW kits either. There are a handful who have experienced fires even at 50/50 mixes.
Many are running high meth concentrations with WW kits without fires. What are they doing differently?
      02-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
Many are running high meth concentrations with WW kits without fires. What are they doing differently?
They are doing nothing differently, they are just going to be part of statistic soon. Everything will come in due time. I've recorded over a dozen meth fires specifically related to WW kits on my own. I've spoken to people personally here, via email, in person or over the phone. It's not something to joke about or take lightly.

Insurance companies will not cover you if you are putting high flammable liquid in your engine bay. If you are lucky and they don't find out they will cover you.

These fires move very quick and not easy to put out. 1 little fire extinguisher is usually not enough. In less then a minute the fire can be out of control. Some people get lucky and only get a small one under the engine cover. That usually indicates a spill over from the cap or neck filler. However, other instances result in puddling in the lower pan, where meth pools, and sloshes into the turbo's and down pipe area.

Take a look at the physics of methanol and its flash point. Keep in mind how much radiant heat is near the exhaust and turbo's.

WW kits however are still not worth the risk when all you need is a $25 trunk mount tank and some meth line to convert to the trunk and take out 99% of the risk of engine related fires to due to meth leaking on the Engine/Turbo's.

As meth corrodes the washer tank, seals, and neck they will experience leaking without any warning to them and poof OR there have been some instances where the meth cap pops open. Users have tried to defend the WW kit and think of ways to prevent it. I still to this day don't understand the logic. I'm not even sure why people think WW kits are that great that they need to run this risk. It actually blows my mind that people can be stubborn about it.

It is no reason BMW has now changed their cap design and put a Flammable emblem on it. They know it's a bad place too but their arent enough stock vehicles catching fire as typical WW mixes are 35% or less from the factory. Since they are less corrosive these failures are not as popular for these cars out of the box.

There needs to be a few things to happen for these fires to initiate and part of it is simply bad luck and the ideal scenario.

No, not everyone with a WW kit will go in flames, atleast not today or tomorrow, but there is a VERY high risk, a risk not worth taking with such easier solution to avoid them.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 02-26-2013 at 05:47 PM.
      02-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
enrita
Major General

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

well said Jeff. Well known its a risk... go trunk mount ASAP
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
      02-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Ilma
Colonel

Drives: BMW

I was lucky.

My car didn't catch fire, but the o-ring seal where the filler neck connects to the WW reservoir was compromised by the high meth concentration.

I parked the car one day to discover a steady drip from the bottom of the passenger door panel.

That was enough for me to immediately switch to a trunk mount tank and it was the best decision I could have made.

As others have mentioned, your flow rate improves because you are gravity feeding the pump and you are also keeping your meth tank cooler.

I didn't think it would happen to me.....but it did.

Meth degrades rubber seals, so it's just a matter of time with a WW tank.
      02-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
jippii ensio
Major

Since ww fluids are no more than 50% meth are they ok to use for the insurance companies?
      02-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Randomaccess335
Captain

Drives: 07' 335I

I was running about 60-70% meth in the ww tank, just before I got my meth setup my ww pump was replaced. It died about a week after moving it to the trunk. It sucks waiting for it to rain just so I can clean my windshield........ That's reason enough, dirty windshields are hell on earth And than of course the possibility of turning ur car into parts donor due to fire.
Why do you think the company's that sell ww setups encourage trunk tanks, cause a fire can and eventually will happen
RšŸ˜

JB4 G5 ISO , BMS DCI's, Stock Guted DP's, DO Meth kit Trunk Mount, ETS 5" Intercooler, M6 Rims, ER Charge Pipe, Fordged DV's
Cybe 3.8" chrome Tips, Lux Angel Eyes
**********12.07 @ 116***1.99 60'**********
      02-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
n54gte
First Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i

Trunk doesn't guarantee no fire but the chances are slim. If you stick with ww, check your lines and ww tank often
      02-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:

Thanks!
1. Yes the fast and furious team can help you with that.
2. Its as straight as Boy George.
3. Yes protection is recommended. Please visit, www.std.com.
4. The JB4, is an older toy used and abused by now, please move onward.
5. You will be playing with his pipes at the track, while trying to beat them.
COBB Powered, Spec2+, Wavetrac, DCI, Forge DV's, AR catless DP's, AA FMIC, M3 links & Sways, 19' BBS LM's wrapped in PSS, Zimmerman cross drilled rotors, hawk carbon pads, M3 Spoiler, AC roof Spoiler, Aero Lip, Vorsteiner Diffuser, m3 sides, Tinted, And One Happy BMW Driver.
      02-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Quote:
Since ww fluids are no more than 50% meth are they ok to use for the insurance companies?
I dont think any insurance company would want you to use your "Windshield washer fluid" as a form of alcohol injection on your car. I'm not an insurance agency nor am I in the claims department. BUT, if a policy holder came to me and said their car caught on fire cause they were injecting methanol into their engine to gain power, would I cover them? Ask yourself the same question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
I was lucky.

My car didn't catch fire, but the o-ring seal where the filler neck connects to the WW reservoir was compromised by the high meth concentration.

I parked the car one day to discover a steady drip from the bottom of the passenger door panel.

That was enough for me to immediately switch to a trunk mount tank and it was the best decision I could have made.

As others have mentioned, your flow rate improves because you are gravity feeding the pump and you are also keeping your meth tank cooler.

I didn't think it would happen to me.....but it did.

Meth degrades rubber seals, so it's just a matter of time with a WW tank.
I recall talking to a few people who were seeing small puddles under their car from time to time, speculating that their WW tank may be leaking. I remember someone telling me they ignored that hint, their car is no longer with them. Good move on your part to read into the clues and do the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
1. Yes the fast and furious team can help you with that.
2. Its as straight as Boy George. <--- this cracked me up the most lol
3. Yes protection is recommended. Please visit, www.std.com.
4. The JB4, is an older toy used and abused by now, please move onward.
5. You will be playing with his pipes at the track, while trying to beat them.
      02-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
j1gilles
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335xi

What will I need to convert the BMS WW kit to a trunk mount? Can I still mount the pump under the hood? Are the lines run from the tank inside the car or outside...?
j1gilles is offline   United_States
      02-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #17
jippii ensio
Major

Quote:
I dont think any insurance company would want you to use your "Windshield washer fluid" as a form of alcohol injection on your car. I'm not an insurance agency nor am I in the claims department. BUT, if a policy holder came to me and said their car caught on fire cause they were injecting methanol into their engine to gain power, would I cover them? Ask yourself the same question....
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant is that is it different from injecting on to your windshield? Everyone here in north "put flammable liquid in your engine bay".
      02-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant is that is it different from injecting on to your windshield? Everyone here in north "put flammable liquid in your engine bay".
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic? Use your best judgment here to determine if methanol injection using your factory windshield washer tank is right for you. Historically, we have found there is a high fire hazard. That's all that I need to say on the subject. Your windshield is not 600F or more like your exhaust or turbo's so naturally its safe to spray ~35% mixtures on your windshield.

Quote:
What will I need to convert the BMS WW kit to a trunk mount? Can I still mount the pump under the hood? Are the lines run from the tank inside the car or outside...?
You need ~15Ft of meth Tubing, pick a tank, pick a tank tap, move your pump to the trunk. Run the lines outside the car. We have quite a selection on our site in the BMW Methanol Section. ( Not allowed to advertise links here).
      02-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #19
jippii ensio
Major

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic? Use your best judgment here to determine if methanol injection using your factory windshield washer tank is right for you. Historically, we have found there is a high fire hazard. That's all that I need to say on the subject. Your windshield is not 600F or more like your exhaust or turbo's so naturally its safe to spray ~35% mixtures on your windshield.
I'm not sarcastic. What I mean is spraying into the engine and on to the windshield are fine. No matter where you mean to spray, meth can end up on turbos or exhaust, because as you said there will be leakages. So what is the take away for EVERYONE filling in their ww fluids? Meth concentrations below 50% are flammable as well as you know.