E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Don't Underestimate Endlinks when Lowering

01-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #45
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

So where is the mounting location on the stock struts, I forget? Is it on the inside of the strut near the splash guard?

Give me a time breakdown. If I'm looking at the hub on the drivers side, where is the mounting point on the strut, 12oclock, 2, 3??
pits200 is offline   United_States
      01-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #46
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
So where is the mounting location on the stock struts, I forget? Is it on the inside of the strut near the splash guard?

Give me a time breakdown. If I'm looking at the hub on the drivers side, where is the mounting point on the strut, 12oclock, 2, 3??
IIRC it points straight in along the line of the axle so I guess that is 12 o'clock? I think this is the old drivers side strut from my car:

The two pins at the bottom go into the slot in the hub, which also face directly in.
      01-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #47
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat

Drives: 08 335xi e92 MT

I think the stock mount points directly inboard, towards the opposite wheel. It is centered in the strut. On the AST's it is offset like a "d".

XI | COBB | AST | Vorshlag | PFC | STETT | StopTech | Apex | DCI
UltraRacer13 is offline   British Virgin Islands
      01-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #48
critical05
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335xi

So I turned the wheel as far as it would go and snapped a pic. There is no interference that I could see or any signs of contact between the endlink, sway bar or any other part.

One thing I did notice is the space between the driveshaft and steering rack. It looks like the sway bar would probably be centered in this space on a stock car. It looks like on a stock car the sway bar would be angled further down than on a lowered car. Either case, the end link would be further from vertical and the sway bar further from horizontal.

Edit - I do see a slight mark before the label on the half shaft that looked like the end link scratched the dirt off. Since the car was stationary when I turned the wheel would explain the horizontal line. The good thing is that it only occurs when the wheel is close to full lock. I don't see the paint on the half shaft scratched to indicate this is a common occurance. the other good thing is the half shaft is steel and the endlink is aluminum so the endlink will wear first
Attached Images

Last edited by critical05; 01-29-2013 at 08:21 PM.
      01-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #49
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraRacer13 View Post
I think the stock mount points directly inboard, towards the opposite wheel. It is centered in the strut. On the AST's it is offset like a "d".
      01-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #50
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
How the hell is my geometry so different than yours.

1- Are those stock end links?- they look very different than my stockers.

2- In your vid you can see the drive axel (I don't know what its called) with the bar code sticker. Mine has the sticker but that is what came into contact with my end link. Yours looks like it is so far away?? Also, go to page 2, check out my pic, not the angle of my end link. When I rotated the collar so the tab faced the front of the car this improved dramatically. But yours is even pointing to the back slightly and your endlinks are almost vertical. Is it due to the position of my sway? Do you think I need to rotate it up???

3- Going back to the load question- as long as the bar can pivot and both sides are the same won't it be unloaded? The real question is where is the optimum point to rotate it when it is unloaded and the car is on the ground. Harold says, IIRC, the mount for the endlink should be horizontal to the pivot point, or bushing. Which makes sense, at that point it would have the most leverage and play either way. How do you think yours measures with this in mind?

Last edited by UltraRacer13; 01-30-2013 at 11:58 PM.
      01-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #51
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by critical05 View Post
So I turned the wheel as far as it would go and snapped a pic. There is no interference that I could see or any signs of contact between the endlink, sway bar or any other part.

One thing I did notice is the space between the driveshaft and steering rack. It looks like the sway bar would probably be centered in this space on a stock car. It looks like on a stock car the sway bar would be angled further down than on a lowered car. Either case, the end link would be further from vertical and the sway bar further from horizontal.

Edit - I do see a slight mark before the label on the half shaft that looked like the end link scratched the dirt off. Since the car was stationary when I turned the wheel would explain the horizontal line. The good thing is that it only occurs when the wheel is close to full lock. I don't see the paint on the half shaft scratched to indicate this is a common occurrence. the other good thing is the half shaft is steel and the endlink is aluminum so the endlink will wear first
Where your clean line on the half shaft is is exactly where my half shaft has a groove. Contrary to your wrought, it was the part that took the beating. I think mine was very close like yours, but the collar on my AST's was not orientated correctly causing just enough of an increase in that angle. I have since corrected that. You can actually see the groove in my photo on page 2.

01-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #52
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel

Ya looking at your pic now it seems your sway is rotated downwards a lot more than mine which is changing the angle of the endlink and causing contact with the axle. Now I wonder if mine is rotated upwards too much. This way the question I posed to Harold earlier about knowing the correct original orientation. Anyone with stock suspension would be a lifesaver if they took a pic of the original front bar.