E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > To everyone that may know... please help

01-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
mjollnir19
Major

Drives: BMW 335i DINAN 3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to mjollnir19
To everyone that may know... please help

My car has the Dinan Exhaust and is so quite and really does not sound menacing at all. I would like to change that.

I've been stacking parts for my car in the garage for a year now and i'm ready to install all these parts including;

BMS OCC
Dinan FMIC
Super Sprint mid pipes (catless)
Super Sprint x pipe (possible)
Ar Downpipes catless or catted still pending sale

I need inputs as to whether or not to buy catless or catted dp's because of the smell and yea the smell. I was even considering putting race cats on the mid pipes. But through research i wasn't able to find an example.

I have read here that total loss between the DP's +5-2 to catless. Small numbers for a part that smells.

Now i need to know with catted and cat less mid pipes be too loud?

Would a catted DP and no cats on the midpipes stock xpipe to dinan exhaust sound good and smell bad?

would a catless dp and no cats on midpipes stock xpipe to dinan exhaust sound good and smell bad?

any input would be greatly appreciated. Im drunk as i type so please excuse the typo's
      01-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
enrita
Major General

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Best is to go catless dps and a set of cats in the midpipes. no smell and good sound.
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
      01-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
JStang
N54 ADDICT

Drives: FBO E92 335i

Catless downpipes definitely made mine louder. I don't know about "menacing" loud and I am glad that it is not. I have catless downpipes and my OEM pipes to the Dinan axle back are still in place. The smell is present at cold start but never inside the cabin.

PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R/Koni Sport | BBS CH-R
      01-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
bmw4lyfe
Enlisted Member

Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjollnir19
My car has the Dinan Exhaust and is so quite and really does not sound menacing at all. I would like to change that.

I've been stacking parts for my car in the garage for a year now and i'm ready to install all these parts including;

BMS OCC
Dinan FMIC
Super Sprint mid pipes (catless)
Super Sprint x pipe (possible)
Ar Downpipes catless or catted still pending sale

I need inputs as to whether or not to buy catless or catted dp's because of the smell and yea the smell. I was even considering putting race cats on the mid pipes. But through research i wasn't able to find an example.

I have read here that total loss between the DP's +5-2 to catless. Small numbers for a part that smells.

Now i need to know with catted and cat less mid pipes be too loud?

Would a catted DP and no cats on the midpipes stock xpipe to dinan exhaust sound good and smell bad?

would a catless dp and no cats on midpipes stock xpipe to dinan exhaust sound good and smell bad?

any input would be greatly appreciated. Im drunk as i type so please excuse the typo's
i have the HPF 3 inch exhaust no mufflers nd the catted AR downpipes, it sounds very load deep and aggressive, not as raspy as you would think, there really is no much difference between the catted and cattless and the smell isnt going to be too bad if you go cattless. just depend on how loud you want it to really be, the reason i got catted is because my e92 is loud as it is without mufflers so i needed some kinda muffling to happen lol, but either which decision you make youll love so dont contemplate too long and just do it.
      01-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Wedge1967
Colonel

Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4lyfe View Post
i have the HPF 3 inch exhaust no mufflers nd the catted AR downpipes, it sounds very load deep and aggressive, not as raspy as you would think, there really is no much difference between the catted and cattless and the smell isnt going to be too bad if you go cattless. just depend on how loud you want it to really be, the reason i got catted is because my e92 is loud as it is without mufflers so i needed some kinda muffling to happen lol, but either which decision you make youll love so dont contemplate too long and just do it.
I ran this pipe cattless and it was way too raspy. It sounds good, but once you're driving you get a sweet spot where it just has too much sound resinating back into the car. I have mid cats now and like enrita said, no smell and great tone. Good luck.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
      01-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 917-939-4980

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Just adding catless dps to your existing setup would change the sound of your exhaust entirely

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
      01-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
CUTigers
Captain

Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [5.00]
2008 e90 335i  [4.50]
I would install your downpipes and mid pipes with your current axle back exhaust and see how you like it before getting different exhaust.
CUTigers is offline   United_States
      01-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
mjollnir19
Major

Drives: BMW 335i DINAN 3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to mjollnir19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Catless downpipes definitely made mine louder. I don't know about "menacing" loud and I am glad that it is not. I have catless downpipes and my OEM pipes to the Dinan axle back are still in place. The smell is present at cold start but never inside the cabin.
Thanks for the input! Does the smell go away after driving for a while?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4lyfe View Post
Lol you sound like my boy boost2perfection lol He's been bastardizing me to get these done already for the past year lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
I ran this pipe cattless and it was way too raspy. It sounds good, but once you're driving you get a sweet spot where it just has too much sound resinating back into the car. I have mid cats now and like enrita said, no smell and great tone. Good luck.
Thanks! What cats are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTigers View Post
I would install your downpipes and mid pipes with your current axle back exhaust and see how you like it before getting different exhaust.
I see what you are saying here. But I'm trying to save money as to not put the car up the lift twice and weld and all that install = more money if i do it twice. IDK I might just take the plunge and go cat less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Best is to go catless dps and a set of cats in the midpipes. no smell and good sound.
Any suggestions as to which cats to purchase?

Thanks to everyone and their inputs!
      01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
JStang
N54 ADDICT

Drives: FBO E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjollnir19 View Post
Thanks for the input! Does the smell go away after driving for a while?

Lol you sound like my boy boost2perfection lol He's been bastardizing me to get these done already for the past year lol

Thanks! What cats are you using?

I see what you are saying here. But I'm trying to save money as to not put the car up the lift twice and weld and all that install = more money if i do it twice. IDK I might just take the plunge and go cat less.

Any suggestions as to which cats to purchase?

Thanks to everyone and their inputs!
Yeah the smell only lasts for a short period of time after start up.

PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R/Koni Sport | BBS CH-R