E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > new owner e92 AW on red w/ pics & questions

01-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

So after weeks of deciding between what car to get I finally got myself a 2009 335i e92 with 40k miles. I fell in love with bmw when the e46 m3 first came out and as much i wanted to get the e46 the 335i seemed like a better choice with its nicer interior and easy tuning ability. This is my first bmw and so far i love everything about that car. I've been reading a ton of threads figuring things out about this car but I've got some questions to ask you guys. but first here are some pics

and now if you could guys could help me with some questions i have or guide me in the right direction. I've tried searching

1. maintenance
this cars warranty ended in september so i plan on getting everything done at bavarian motorsport in milpitas. Can anyone from the bay vouch for this shop? or recommend another one? in located in san jose (il post on regional forums as well)

What maintenance do you guys recommend at 40k? the idrive says i need to change my oil and brake fluid which I will get done in a few days. But besides that how do i kno when to change all the other fluids ( power steering, coolant, differential fluid, transmission fluid, etc..)??? I plan on getting jb4 soon so i want my engine to be healthy

Also, on my previous cars i had to change some suspension parts every 30k. Can i find a list or schedule somewhere that shows when and what suspension parts to change. like how do i know when to change shocks, ball joints, etc..??

WHen i got a ppi done the dealer told me i would have to should change the following soon and gave me prices.

Standard scope - $95 (wth is a standard scope??)
oil change - $170
spark plugs - $690 (i know these need to be changed around 45k so i got 5k to go)
air filters - $160
brake fluid flush - $190
microfilters - $150

for 40k miles does this sound right and what do you think about the dealer prices? the previous owner said he took the car in before warranty expired to get it up to maintenance so idk if all this needs to be done

2. engine start and shut off
When i start the car i hear a rattle on the initial rev. It goes away within like 2 seconds but is this normal? on cold starts the engine seems to do all kinds of shit..revving up and down a lil making weird noise. Is this normal?? again idk whats normal as i just got this car

When i turn off the car i hear a woosh should..kind of like a blow off valve. like a release of air. is this also normal?

3. my m-sport bumpers
the previous owner put the m-sport bumper and side skirts i believe and the paint seems to different from the rest of the car. its alot ruffer and not smooth like the rest of the car. how can i fix it and what does it mean? bad quality paint?

4. performance exhaust
I'm pretty sure the exhaust is stock but it sounds really good and pretty loud when putting your foot down. is the stock exhaust like this or is there a chance i have he performance exhaust? i've attached some pictures. it seems louder than the 335i i test drove at the dealer

thanks in advance for all your help!!

I plan doing the following things
coilovers & rims
jb4, downpipe, and intake
paint reflectors
change angel eyes, fogs, low beams, and lci tail lights
v1 hardwire
laser jammer?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
E92 Snow
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Ah sick. The red interior. <3
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Congrats... nice ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
SGMe90
tuningtechfs tuned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SGM e90 M3, 6mt

All those things are DIY, check the forums on how to do it and save your money. Also, congrats!! She's a beauty.
      01-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6SPD

Garage List
That's the oem exhaust, rattle is normal, bumpers may be wet sanded/polished. As far as maintenance work, you can do most yourself.
      01-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Lovely car - love the interior. Congratulations - you won't go wrong with this car - will put a smile on your face every time you drive it.

With respect to your questions, do you plan to keep this car for a long time? if yes, then I would suggest you go by Mike Miller's 'old school maintenance' schedule - he lists each and every maintenance item in his detailed schedule, and would stand you in good stead. I assume you are a BMW CCA member? If not, would recommend you become one - the roundel magazine itself is worth the member ship, and on top of it you will get a lot of other perks - and Mike Miller's guidance. If not, I am sure one of the forum members would have that schedule handy - they could share it with you.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
fresh_LA
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 6MT

FRESH!!!! When I was looking thats the exact car I wanted. Couldnt find a 6MT w/ iDrive though.

Car looks good man, I recommend you get some LCI tails and wrap that interior trim STAT!

cant wait to see the progress!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bmw View Post

Standard scope - $95 (wth is a standard scope??)
oil change - $170
spark plugs - $690 (i know these need to be changed around 45k so i got 5k to go)
air filters - $160
brake fluid flush - $190
microfilters - $150
Those are crazy prices, I get my oil changed for $57.95 at a BMW dealer in NJ, but I admit some want $70 to $99. Air filter is DIY, if you can put a Brita filter in a pitcher, you can DIY, maybe $23. Microfilter, again, I never understood why people pay, it takes about 5-7 min. and maybe $28. Brake fluid, again, I had a dealer do it for $120.....can't say what a dealer gets for spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
That's the oem exhaust, rattle is normal, bumpers may be wet sanded/polished. As far as maintenance work, you can do most yourself.
I thought the rattle sound is the wastegate issue, guess we'd have to actually hear it. OP said he hears it upon shut-off.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
07e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

wonder if the car was previously modded unless you are the one who put the black grill and black window trim
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Looks great! The red looks awesome..with silver or black CF trim it'll look a lot better..which type of wood trim is that you have on now?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I thought the rattle sound is the wastegate issue, guess we'd have to actually hear it. OP said he hears it upon shut-off.
the dealer told me i might hear a little rattle from the wastegate on a cold start for a little bit, but i hear this rattle almost every time. But its only on the initial rev. like when you push start, the car revs up high to get the engine going and i hear it then, but then the rev comes down (either to idle or a little higher if its warming up) and its gone. I do NOT hear a rattle when i shut the car off. I hear like woosh sound when i shut off.. like a release of air or something.. idk if thats normal or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_LA View Post
FRESH!!!! When I was looking thats the exact car I wanted. Couldnt find a 6MT w/ iDrive though.

Car looks good man, I recommend you get some LCI tails and wrap that interior trim STAT!

cant wait to see the progress!
yeah man i wanted a manual too but i wanted to have white on red more and couldnt find both so i settled for this. this is only my 2nd car and i haven't had a manual so i dont really know what im missing out on. i know it would be fun but i drive through the city with traffic all the time so its cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a 3 View Post
Lovely car - love the interior. Congratulations - you won't go wrong with this car - will put a smile on your face every time you drive it.

With respect to your questions, do you plan to keep this car for a long time? if yes, then I would suggest you go by Mike Miller's 'old school maintenance' schedule - he lists each and every maintenance item in his detailed schedule, and would stand you in good stead. I assume you are a BMW CCA member? If not, would recommend you become one - the roundel magazine itself is worth the member ship, and on top of it you will get a lot of other perks - and Mike Miller's guidance. If not, I am sure one of the forum members would have that schedule handy - they could share it with you.
thanks, yeah im always trippin about something going wrong cause of all the horror stories but then once i sit inside i forget everything lol

I plan on keeping this car for like 4 years. i think i've seen that schedule before and no im not a member (i dont even know what that is) but il go ahead and look into those things. thanks!

Quote:
Those are crazy prices, I get my oil changed for $57.95 at a BMW dealer in NJ, but I admit some want $70 to $99. Air filter is DIY, if you can put a Brita filter in a pitcher, you can DIY, maybe $23. Microfilter, again, I never understood why people pay, it takes about 5-7 min. and maybe $28. Brake fluid, again, I had a dealer do it for $120.....can't say what a dealer gets for spark plugs.
i had a feeling those prices were too high. i think il just take it to a indy shop for the oil and brake fluid as those need to be done asap and then il look into diy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07e92 View Post
wonder if the car was previously modded unless you are the one who put the black grill and black window trim
yeah previous owner said those were done by the dealer but u never know.. less work for me i guess lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
Looks great! The red looks awesome..with silver or black CF trim it'll look a lot better..which type of wood trim is that you have on now?
really? i kind of like the wood. makes it feel a little classier imo. but i would be down for CF trim though. supposedly its polar grain grey
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #13
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bmw View Post

really? i kind of like the wood. makes it feel a little classier imo. but i would be down for CF trim though. supposedly its polar grain grey

Oh don't get me wrong..I love that trim, I actually want it Just saying CF looks the best on red interior.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
It happens evry time you start the car and goes away in a few seconds. I think they all do that....normal. Wastegate is at higher RPM I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07e92 View Post
My 09 came with black window trim but I added grills. GREAT color combo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
I had red with BMW Carbon Fiber dash, console etc and it was AMAZING. I dont think wood belongs in a car like that. Cool car.
Appreciate 0