E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Turner Motorsport Race Rear Shock Mounts. Has anyone tried them?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Turner Motorsport Race Rear Shock Mounts. Has anyone tried them?

Has anybody tried the Turner Motorsport rear shock mounts that allow you to use a shock that mounts with a spherical bearing at the top and bottom? I was shocked that I hadn't heard about them before. I searched but I'm not exactly the best with the search function so sorry if this has been discussed. It looks like an interesting option if you're in the market for new shocks and you're looking to replace the upper mounts, or converting to M3 lower camber links. It'd definitely widen your choices when it comes to shocks.

Lower mounts: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-20...m-e82-e9x.aspx


Upper mounts: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-20...m-e82-e9x.aspx
MikeR1994 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
cvc 22349a
Colonel
 
cvc 22349a's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

Posts: 2,192
iTrader: (8)

I've never seen a review or discussion of those mounts. The upper mounts will transmit a ton of nvh into the cabin. I have hard rubber upper mounts and am going back to oe the next time I pull the shocks due to nvh. The lower mounts would eliminate the need to convert to the M3 camber arm if using an M3 type shock with spherical joint.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/GC/M3/Meyle susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
cvc 22349a is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
I've never seen a review or discussion of those mounts. The upper mounts will transmit a ton of nvh into the cabin. I have hard rubber upper mounts and am going back to oe the next time I pull the shocks due to nvh. The lower mounts would eliminate the need to convert to the M3 camber arm if using an M3 type shock with spherical joint.
I've gotten so used to increased NVH that I probably wouldn't find it that bad, but they definitely wouldn't be for everyone. Also I'd probably still convert to M3 arms eventually since they're lighter and probably more rigid, but this would be a great alternative for what looks like about half the price. I'm more curious about the upper mount though. I'm not a fan of the stock mounting style. Then again I'm also extremely picky. haha
MikeR1994 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
cvc 22349a
Colonel
 
cvc 22349a's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

Posts: 2,192
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR1994 View Post
I've gotten so used to increased NVH that I probably wouldn't find it that bad, but they definitely wouldn't be for everyone. Also I'd probably still convert to M3 arms eventually since they're lighter and probably more rigid, but this would be a great alternative for what looks like about half the price. I'm more curious about the upper mount though. I'm not a fan of the stock mounting style. Then again I'm also extremely picky. haha
PM me if you want my Dinan upper rsm's when I pull 'em. They do reduce deflection at the upper mount and add 1 cm travel. You'll be hard pressed to find a shock w/a spherical upper joint I think.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/GC/M3/Meyle susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
cvc 22349a is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,396
iTrader: (4)

those are primarily for race shocks, which typically have eyelet mounts, not specific to any particular vehicle. They are usually custom ordered in specific lengths and valvings to suit whichever vehicle they are being installed in.

Consumer grade stuff made for our cars wouldn't need those, but like someone said, you could use the lower mounts if you were using a rear M3 shock.
mike-y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
those are primarily for race shocks, which typically have eyelet mounts, not specific to any particular vehicle. They are usually custom ordered in specific lengths and valvings to suit whichever vehicle they are being installed in.

Consumer grade stuff made for our cars wouldn't need those, but like someone said, you could use the lower mounts if you were using a rear M3 shock.
I live in Charlotte, NC so finding these kind of racing shocks like that like Penske, Íhlins, Bilstein, AFCO, etc. locally is pretty easy. It'd just be a matter of deciding on specs.
MikeR1994 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,396
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR1994 View Post
I live in Charlotte, NC so finding these kind of racing shocks like that like Penske, Íhlins, Bilstein, AFCO, etc. locally is pretty easy. It'd just be a matter of deciding on specs.

and upping your budget considerably, heh.
mike-y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
and upping your budget considerably, heh.
I think you'd be surprised. Bilstein and AFCO both offer plenty of inexpensive shocks in this mounting style, many of which are adjustable.
MikeR1994 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST